Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thought I would post a pic of my ride.

JAWS134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #15137
Snake Plissken
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Yes what shining said - Mr. Giancarlo at info@massmoto.com is the way to go - I placed the order via email and had the pipes unwrapped in my garage in <10 days halfway around the world!

They are... expensive. PM me if you want the gory details.

Yes two removable baffles - I pulled them during the original install and the bike didn't like that, I'll try that again and report back. As far as the sound I have the airbox pulled and between the intake/exhaust it is sweeeet. Not so obnoxious as the preds, but a far cry from the stock/TORs. They are a fantastic system, and dealing with Mr. Giancarlo was an absolute pleasure - can't recommend them enough!

tvscum PM inbound!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #15138
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Benny Hill !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper-Clubman View Post

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #15139
J Charles
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Not mine but a couple of pic of a Scrambler that turned up at my local biker cafe

J C
J Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #15140
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Well well...I just got my first flat today, rear tire luckily. Picked up a screw somewhere along the way to work. No garage here on the mean streets of Denver, but I went ahead and bought a jack anyway and will be pulling the wheel after work. I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to be able to get it fixed. It's too bad, because my brother just got his black scram TODAY!

Happy to not have dumped the bike though.

Commence jacking
b0rderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #15141
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Well well...I just got my first flat today, rear tire luckily. Picked up a screw somewhere along the way to work. No garage here on the mean streets of Denver, but I went ahead and bought a jack anyway and will be pulling the wheel after work. I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to be able to get it fixed. It's too bad, because my brother just got his black scram TODAY!

Commence jacking
Yep. Rear flats are much more common than front for some reason. I've always heard the theory that the front tire just rides right over a screw or nail lying there in there in the road, no harm, no foul... but, that in doing so, it kicks it up and offer it to the rear tire at a better angle... Never seen actual proof of this theory in action, but I suppose it makes sense. All I know is that in over 30 years of riding (effin' knocking on wood right now!) I've never had a front puncture on a street bike.

One tip from my dirt biking days that may be of use. Most tubes these days are made of synthetic rubber. Synthetic tubes have more of a tendency to tear when they get punctured so that they can POP like a balloon and cause a sudden and rapid deflation that could prove dangerous at street speeds. Natural rubber tubes are more prone to just leak down through the puncture hole and therefore go flat slower which could give a little more warning so you can slow safely. I haven't purchased natural rubber tubes in a number of years so I don't know about their availability in various sizes, but if I were looking for a tube for a street bike I would look into them. Another tip is to put a couple of layers of duct tape around the inside of the rim in place of the normal rubber rim strip, or at least in addition to it. This helps to eliminate some of the ways the air has of escaping the tire/rim and therefore can slow down the deflation a bit.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 06:42 PM
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #15142
Tritwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Charles View Post
Not mine but a couple of pic of a Scrambler that turned up at my local biker cafe

J C
That is one of the nicest scrambler I ever have seen. Cool handlebars.......and colour combination. 1967 Bonneville?
Tritwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #15143
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Cry Flat Rear Tire

Quote:

Commence jacking

I have been changing my own bike tires for 40 years, the rear flat I got on the Scrambler almost 2 years ago was the hardest one. Granted it happened in the woods so no shop tools were involved but breaking the bead was a monumental task with two guys and three tire irons. On the plus side, we patched the hole we could find in the tube (knew there would be another by the spokes but couldn't tell which way the nail angled and also couldn't find any sign of it), I got out of the woods before it flatted again and another 12-15 miles slowly down the road on the flat before reaching a highway and sending my buddy off to get the trailer. Once home I still needed my cheap J C Whitney (car) bead breaker to get that tire off to put on new tires. A sudden deflation is never good but the OEM tire/wheel combination can get you home flat If you take your time. There are lots of techniques for breaking beads, big 'C"-clamp, vice, kick stand (preferably on a second bike), etc. be prepared to utilize something more that just a couple short irons to get the beads broken. After that it is just a 'normal' change. The patch we applied worked fine (some tubes don't patch well) and is still holding (in the garage, not on the bike - yet) but (not) finding where the point of that 3 1/2" nail had weakened the tube was my downfall - although it provided the excuse to try some trail attack tires, which I really like!
Good Luck - Have Fun, it's all part of the adventure!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #15144
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
thanks for all the tips/insight guys...I brought the wheel to a buddy who has a garage and he walked me through the change...he has changed plenty of tires out and he said the scrambler rim/tire combo is one of the more difficult combos. I am glad I made the trip because I would have had a long night on my own. She's all back together now

b0rderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #15145
akokie
Boomer Sooner

Oddometer: 44
fuel bottle mounts

Question for you all...
I'm getting ready to order a couple of the Touratech double bottle mounts fhttp://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...r-0-5L-Bottlesor some extra fuel storage. i'm wondering if anyone has used these and where they've put them on their Scramblers? I've got a set of the Metal Mule panniers and was thinking of mounting one on each side in the rear, but not sure if I want to mount fuel that close to the exhaust.
Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #15146
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie View Post
Question for you all...
I'm getting ready to order a couple of the Touratech double bottle mounts fhttp://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...r-0-5L-Bottlesor some extra fuel storage. i'm wondering if anyone has used these and where they've put them on their Scramblers? I've got a set of the Metal Mule panniers and was thinking of mounting one on each side in the rear, but not sure if I want to mount fuel that close to the exhaust.
Thoughts?
Have you checked out the Rotopax containers? I mounted one on the tail rack of my G650Xchallenge. You could mount it to the top or outside of the pannier.

They have a adv discount too, check in vendors discount thread.

Here's a thread to get an idea of mounting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...41616&page=395
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #15147
Dr.Lucky
n00b

Oddometer: 3
best shocks?

The weather's warming up and it's time to treat my Scram to some proper suspension. It has Eliminators up front so everything's copacetic there.

I'm not going to be pounding through rocks - I have an XR440 for that - so mostly on road and some fire-roads. I'm 190lb.

Is there some kind of consensus in the Scram community as to what works best? I don't want to go nuts, price-wise, but I don't mind paying good money if the improvement in ride quality is worth it. I'm looking for something that feels pretty plush and compliant on the bumpy back roads.

Anyone found a happy solution they can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Dr.Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #15148
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie View Post
Question for you all...
Thoughts?
My solution to carrying extra fuel is here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...41616&page=251

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #15149
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
thanks for all the tips/insight guys...I brought the wheel to a buddy who has a garage and he walked me through the change...he has changed plenty of tires out and he said the scrambler rim/tire combo is one of the more difficult combos. I am glad I made the trip because I would have had a long night on my own. She's all back together now

Is his garage the street?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #15150
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Is his garage the street?
Well, he said he brought the wheel to his buddy who has a garage. I assumed that meant that he removed the wheel from the bike, as pictured, and then took just the wheel to wherever. Of course you know what they say about making assumptions...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote