Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #15406
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I had YSS on my Thruxton and was disappointed with them - way too stiff. If I had kept the bike I would probably have tried revalving/springs but that would have been an expensive proposition shipping them to New Jersey from California.

If I get a scrambler one day I'll probably go with Ohlins for local service.
Nothing wrong with Ohlins. I don't know if Wilbers makes shocks for the Scrambler, but I bought a Wilbers for my GS from Ted Porter at the BeemerShop. He's south of San Jose. Seemed like a knowledgeable guy. Good service. Just something to consider.

Oh, almost forgot. I like the Wilbers on the BMW quite well.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #15407
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Yes, Wilbers does make them in 2 versions: high-finished and ECO(nomic)

http://www.classicbike-raisch.de/htm..._federung.html
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #15408
wildjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Whats up with tire tubes?

I'm replacing the tires on my Scram. (2009 w/ 4500 mls)
What do I need to know about tubes?
Should I get new tubes?
Are the cheaper bikemaster tubes ok or do I need name brand?
If it doesn't need replaced, should i at least have one on hand in case I damage one mounting?

What else?

Thanks!
wildjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #15409
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Just my opinion FWIW. I replace my tubes with the heavy duty variety. The extra cost gets recouped by me not puncturing them on installation with my ham fisted methods.
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
1975 Honda CT90
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #15410
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Not usually one of the steadfast safety-first guys...but when it comes to the bits that (nearly) touch the road, I try not to cut corners. I'd replace both with quality tubes. Use the old ones to turn your favorite hammer into a rubber mallet.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #15411
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Wicked Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
I'm replacing the tires on my Scram. (2009 w/ 4500 mls)
What do I need to know about tubes?
Should I get new tubes?
Are the cheaper bikemaster tubes ok or do I need name brand?
If it doesn't need replaced, should i at least have one on hand in case I damage one mounting?

What else?

Thanks!

When I replaced the Trailwings on my Scrambler with Trail Attacks, I did replace both tubes. I needed one anyway having put a 3 1/2" nail in the rear and tried to (partially successful) patch it in the woods. The originals were OK, quality wise and if not otherwise damaged I would have run them through another set of tires. Usually I don't have lots of problems with pinching tubes during tire mounting, putting just enough air in the tube to hold it's shape works out well for me. The original tubes on my KLR Jr were so thin (and I was out of practice) that I believe that I pinched them 5 times during the first tire change, it got new heavy duty tubes at the next change. If your plans call for hard, off-road riding I would suggest some heavy duty (NOT the Ultra heavy) tubes, breaking that oem rear in the woods to patch it was as difficult as I have done. Even breaking it at home (with a cheap car bead-breaker that does ALL my tires) it was not easy and that after riding the second flat for over 10 miles. You really want to avoid that if at all possible!
As far as having one on hand, which one are you more likely to pinch? How long will it take to get a replacement? How much do you enjoy playing the odds? I tend to go with the 'have and not need is better than need and not have' philosophy so I usually have something on hand in case the change doesn't go well, but it might not be new or exactly the right size.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #15412
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Very interesting post Fire-escape.
I'll have to change mine too.
Choice will be between the Trail Attacks or the Dunlop TR91.
In Motorrad was a test of 7 allroad tyres. Thet test was 5500km long with measuring performance at the begin and after 5500 km.
Dunlop's TR91 was the winner,mainly because of it's excellent performance in wet conditions.
Trail-Attacks second because in the rain the grip is not so good. But it excels in all other conditions + it's a very long lasting tyre.
I have the TA on mu X-Challenge and must confirm the test results. The weather here is always unpredictable so now I'm hesitating between TA or TR91. TA's lifetime is 2 x TR91.

http://www.testberichte.de/a/motorra...11/273212.html
keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #15413
Shining
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
From Italy (Tuscany location), nice short video

http://vimeo.com/42305030
Shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #15414
wildjester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thanks for the replies concerning the "tube" situation.
Just ordered a new set of tubes and a set of Dunlop TR91s.
I will post up about the TRs and let you guys know what I think.

Thanks
wildjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #15415
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining View Post

Shining... Ohhh you Italians. So passionate!

Cool vid, although that exhaust has a 'squeak' sound in it. That would drive me crazy.
Clean chickie bike.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #15416
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining View Post

very sweet, love the color scheme.
great videos, I'd love to ride the Tuscan countryside.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #15417
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
What's the difference between a "quality" tube and a "cheap" tube? I just put a set of Heidenau K60's on my Scram—replaced the tubes as well, but I didn't recognize the brand. I sort of assumed tubes are all the same… not true perhaps?

Also, does anyone have a favorite tire pressure for the Heidenau's? This is my first set. I'm starting at 33/37 which was where I used to run my Tourances.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #15418
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKevin View Post
What's the difference between a "quality" tube and a "cheap" tube? I just put a set of Heidenau K60's on my Scram—replaced the tubes as well, but I didn't recognize the brand. I sort of assumed tubes are all the same… not true perhaps?

Also, does anyone have a favorite tire pressure for the Heidenau's? This is my first set. I'm starting at 33/37 which was where I used to run my Tourances.
Heidenau's heh? How do you like them? I'm curious what size you chose for the rear? Any pics? And finally where did you buy them? Sorry for the inquisition but I have narrowed my choice down to a set of these for the Scram.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #15419
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Hello all,

I test rode a scrambler and a tiger 800 today. The tiger was an amazing machine, but the scrambler seems to fit my current needs much better. I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2012 matte black.

The dealer told me that the new fuel injected bikes don't need as much tinkering to spice up performance as the old carbed versions did. So I'm wondering what immediate mods should be done, if any, to help bring the most out of this bike? Any links or search keywords for this thread would be appreciated.

Also, concerning the two-in-one exhaust that I've seen so many pics of --- is it primarily aesthetics and sound, or does it bring substantial performance boosts?

Finally, if I wanted to go with a little more aggressive tire tread, do you think a dealer might be willing to swap tires as part of the negotiations?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #15420
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Heidenau's heh? How do you like them? I'm curious what size you chose for the rear? Any pics? And finally where did you buy them? Sorry for the inquisition but I have narrowed my choice down to a set of these for the Scram.
I only have a couple of hundred miles on them, but so far I'm pleased. I'm headed off on a four day road trip to the mountains so I'll have more insight next week…

That said, around town they handle great. They're much louder than the Tourances but that's no surprise. Haven't had them in the dirt or the wet yet.

I bought them, locally, at Apex Sports in CO Springs—their price was the same as online. BMW of Denver also carries them. I'm running the stock size in the front and the rear. No pics, but they do look great on the bike. I'll report back after I get some miles on them…
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote