User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #1531
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
TKC-80s Rock!

GOOD point! ThanX, I will go with what is recommended. That way I don't get stuck with a tire that I cannot use.

Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by A mi que?
Ace, I haven't "heard" of that size being used, but I'm running a TKC-80 110/80 BQ19TL front and TKC-80 130/80T 17 TL rear. As per dealership. I can't imagine finding out the hard way ($$$) that a non stock size doesn't fit.

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #1532
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
First Ride

I put my first 25 miles on the bike (besides the sedate 7 on the ride from the dealer).

I love it.

It was stormy looking all day. I got home from work, put on my gear headed for the road. After the first couple miles I was out of traffic and on the back country roads. Just then the clouds opened and the sun came pouring through. God must love Triumphs! It was broken clouds and sunny all the way while I put the motorcycle through its paces. I only got up to 60mph but I loved the entire range. It really is great for cruising through the countryside at about 40mph. It was a great first ride, everything I wanted!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #1533
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I put my first 25 miles on the bike (besides the sedate 7 on the ride from the dealer).

I love it.

It was stormy looking all day. I got home from work, put on my gear headed for the road. After the first couple miles I was out of traffic and on the back country roads. Just then the clouds opened and the sun came pouring through. God must love Triumphs! It was broken clouds and sunny all the way while I put the motorcycle through its paces. I only got up to 60mph but I loved the entire range. It really is great for cruising through the countryside at about 40mph. It was a great first ride, everything I wanted!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #1534
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Enjoy your beast Krahe.
(you will learn to be paitent with all the folks that stop and harass you about your ride. Part of the experience).
Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #1535
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Thumb

Inspired by a few others here and on TriumphRat - and in need of a way to tote stuff - I just installed the Ventura rack system on my Scrambler. Made in New Zealand, both the chromed steel rack and the heavy duty nylon pack appear to be high quality and strong. It took me all of about 20 minutes to bolt the rack together on the bike. Very nice that it all fit so easily.

Another few minutes to wrestle the internal supports into the 51 liter nylon pack, and all was ready. I got the kit with both the low sport rack and the high rack to fit the nylon pack. The low sport rack will be on the bike except when I need the high rack. With the pack in place, and mounted forward, resting on the seat, there is plenty of room on the back of the rack for a sleeping bag, foam pad and a backpacker's tent. I'm confident that the rack, pack and my little 14 liter tank bag offer more than enough capacity for a pretty extended tour of the west! Heck, I even managed to lash a couple of fly rods, and my fishing bag to the rack.

Okay, Mr. Vern and some others beat me to it, but I can do it too!

Good product that makes my Scrambler a lot more useful. Not faster, not sexier, not louder, just a lot more useful. Cool.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #1536
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Krahe - enjoy your Scram - it's a great bike!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #1537
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Welcome to our exclusive and ever-growng club. One of the better looking triumphs there is...

Safe riding
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #1538
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe

I love it.

Nice report on your first ride. Enjoy.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #1539
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Thumb 100+Mile report

Thank you all for the encouragement! Without all your discussions and pictures I might have lost interest. Thank you all.

Well I added another 65 miles to the scrammy and its over 100 now.

Took it out this morning for an hour. Brought it home when it started raining. Watched it torrentially rain on my new bike. Wiped bike off after it stopped raining and rode it another 2 hours on the back roads stopping only for gas and food. It was after noon when I brought it home.

Things I learned about the bike:

* Riding in hard rain 'aint no thang'. I fear water no more.

* Riding on rain softened dirt roads is fun and exciting, especially with oncoming traffic and a semi sideways slide on mud. Not afraid of dirt roads anymore either. The journalists who wrote 'it was not an off pavement bike' should be sterilized before its too late. The bike does 'float' like any other vehicle on loose dirt, but washboards are absorbed by the suspension pretty well.

* $8 Gas stops kick ass. Screw the $60 i am putting in the truck each week, this is my new commuter.

* The engine and drive train are so smooth its like music to my ears. This is good engineering. Harley owners take note: stop paying for high dollar dentist visits to replaced loose fillings, get a Triumph.

* I like the stock suspension, brakes, and tires (tyres). I had some minor stiffness after stopping for gas, but I also sit at a desk all day and am tragically out of shape (not fat though).

* I am a noob and can ride this machine while sight seeing. Its a great cycle for commuting and cruising. I dont think I will ever look at a sport bike again. I love this bike.

* Without a windscreen, my Nolan helmet is too noisy above 45mph. I need to get sound damping earplugs or headphones.

* I stopped at Target (large chain store like Wal-Mart but with higher standards) and got some starbucks and a messenger bag for a run to the book store. I sat and watched my bike from the coffee shop window seat and noticed all sorts of people stopping to look at my Scrambler. One was a 60 ish looking lady with another older lady. She stopped and said something to the effect "My Henry(?) used to have one like this." My lip reading is bad but it was either henry, honey, or homey. On the way out, even the cart boy asked me how much it was. His eyes got wide when I told him I only put $8 in it for 100 miles. It was fun watching everyone look at the bike.

* I bought a Wenger (Swiss Army) Laptop Messenger Bag and it was great for carrying a copy of Bike and some books. It looks good enough to use as a briefcase for work when I commute on the Scrambler.

Two thumbs up! Triumph did everything right with this one.

Krahe screwed with this post 05-24-2008 at 02:15 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #1540
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,162
Fun report, Krahe! You folks in the lower Midwest are sure getting hit by storms this year, eh?

FWIW, most drug stores have a wide variety of ear plugs; try them all out and see which ones work best.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #1541
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

A few shots from today's morning Scramble!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #1542
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Talking Great Pics

Great pics M700! Where were they taken?

Had dime and nickel sized hail with last nights deluge. The Guardian cover was worth the money.

Rode for another 6 hours straight today, added another 150 miles. I was pretty wiped out when I got home, but it was still fun as hell. Gonna do it again tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #1543
fulviapaulo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hi guys!

Been watching this thread for sometimes but on a random basis as I don't have any Triumph but really like the ones with a "hint" of cafe racer, besides that my uncle owns a Thruxton among others.

Anyway, last year I saw this Scrambler in a classic and vintage auto and moto show but din't get any photo, just remembered it said somethin' like being a special edition. Yesterday I was at an automobilia show and to my surprise there were more bikes than cars (still dunno if I should be glad or sad ) and at the same seller's stand there was the same Scrambler (1st pic) and a new one (2nd pic)

Still can't find nothing on the net about the Scrambler but that setup really makes me mad On the side panel it says Jumatsu Special Edition. The other one also says Jumatsu. And here is my question(s). What is Jumatsu? Any of you ever heard of it? (sorry if my question is somewhat dumb but I'm completely off the scene regarding Triumph)

Cheers

8? Honda QR50 (my kids bike)
91 Aprilia RX50 (first bike)
93 Honda AfricaTwin
98 Husaberg FE400
05 Honda Zoomer
ex-88 Honda Dominator (2008-2009)
72 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
79 Ford Capri 2.0S
00 Land Rover Defender 110SW (sadly missed)
fulviapaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #1544
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Krahe - sorry - forgot to post that! The photos were taken just north of little Wenatchee, Washington. That's the Columbia River down there, right where the Wenatchee River dumps into it. Great area for hiking, bicycling and motorcycling. Lots of fun dirt and paved roads leading up into the Cascade Mountains.

Paulo - I don't know anything about those Scramblers you posted - but they look good!

Regards, Guy
Old 05-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #1545
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Todays Ride