Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #15451
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
got cut off today in the rain, hit breaks, front wheel lost traction and I found myself with a bruised thigh and a ruined evening.

Sigh.

I'm fine and no major damage, though the foot peg and rubber nub on the shift lever broke.

I've seen some alternatives to OEMs posted, but I was wondering whats the most recent.

Not really looking to drop $150 on pivot pegs, so what are some cheap replacements for the shift lever and foot pegs?
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #15452
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpt100 View Post
I dont think the low oil and the cutting out and backfire are the same problem.
My mate's scrambler started cutting out, then a big backfire, and started up again on a recent trip to Scotland. It was the side stand switch that had worked loose and when he hit a bump cut the ignition.
When you changed the oil, did you fill the filter up with oil before you fitted it?
No didn't fill the filter, but i read it's 3,75 litres including change of filter. That sidestand issue sounds weird but logical. I'll check that on mine. Cheers
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #15453
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
got cut off today in the rain, hit breaks, front wheel lost traction and I found myself with a bruised thigh and a ruined evening.

Sigh.

I'm fine and no major damage, though the foot peg and rubber nub on the shift lever broke.

I've seen some alternatives to OEMs posted, but I was wondering whats the most recent.

Not really looking to drop $150 on pivot pegs, so what are some cheap replacements for the shift lever and foot pegs?

Glad you were not hurt too bad.

Anyway, I used the MSR folding shifter , Part number is 34-2161. I think I got it for around $20 with shipping. The only thing I dont like about it is that the knurled pattern marks up your boots but I use a little heat shrink tubing over it for a fix.

I cant help you on the pegs. All the aftermarket ones are pretty expensive but I do remember a post here where someone used Suzuki RM-250 ones with a little grinding.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #15454
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 33
MSR Shifter, K n L Cycle Pegs

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/p823248632#h2abef676

MSR Shifter and K N L Cycle Pegs (Rattle canned black)

Quote:

Sigh.

twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #15455
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks.

Looks like the route I am going.

First at (any) speed "crash". Wasn't fun. I was probably only 15-20mph when I hit. Pants knee pad pocket has a few holes burned through and knuckle protection has some rash on it. Doesn't look like my head hit the ground though as I didn' see any rash on the helmet. Didn't see any on my jacket, either.Looks like I just hit on my leg and slid for a minute on the wet pavement.

Got lucky though, some minor rash on the headers and the aforementioned peg / shifter damage was all. Doesn't look like shaft or anything was bent, just the pin snapped on the shifter.

I'll either just wrap the headers or live with it.

Most annoying part is looking back and trying to figure out where I !@&%#* up and could have done something differently.

optical screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 11:16 AM
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #15456
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 82
Glorious sunshine

At last a bit of sunshine in blighty.

Looking forward to Normandy Beaches run with the missus on her Bonny and me on the Scram.

More here.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #15457
geezfools
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

Sigh.

I bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390423180176

I'm not 100% satisfied with them, but they work for what I need until I either find better ones or drop money on something I'll like. The only thing I don't like is the peg doesn't sit level or at least it feels like my feet want to rest at a different angle. But I bought my bike missing one when it fell over in a wind storm (previous owner) and they work good enough for $15
geezfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #15458
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post

Looking forward to Normandy Beaches run with the missus on her Bonny and me on the Scram.

More here.
Awesome looking Scram in its native habitat!
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
1975 Honda CT90
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #15459
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Glad you were not hurt too bad.

Anyway, I used the MSR folding shifter , Part number is 34-2161. I think I got it for around $20 with shipping. The only thing I dont like about it is that the knurled pattern marks up your boots but I use a little heat shrink tubing over it for a fix.

I cant help you on the pegs. All the aftermarket ones are pretty expensive but I do remember a post here where someone used Suzuki RM-250 ones with a little grinding.
Hey guys, checking around for MSR shifter lever.
Motorcycle-superstore.com has a selection for different motorcycle bikes and various models to choose from.

Are they all the same or is there certain model to choose from?

I see MSR part # 34-2161 is the chosen part here. Its stated for Honda bike replacements. Also states its 1 inch longer than stock.

So for guys who own this part, is it the same length as the Triumph stock shifter lever?
Or is it a longer fit on the Triumph Scrams?

I'm just checking before I order one for my Scram.
Thanks.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #15460
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezfools View Post
I bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390423180176

I'm not 100% satisfied with them, but they work for what I need until I either find better ones or drop money on something I'll like. The only thing I don't like is the peg doesn't sit level or at least it feels like my feet want to rest at a different angle. But I bought my bike missing one when it fell over in a wind storm (previous owner) and they work good enough for $15
Hi, can you post any pics to show how they fit and sit?
Looking at an economical alternative.

thanks.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #15461
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
This one definitely fits the Scram:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-CNC-BI...44160931381301

Quote:

Sigh.

'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #15462
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hey guys, checking around for MSR shifter lever.
Motorcycle-superstore.com has a selection for different motorcycle bikes and various models to choose from.

Are they all the same or is there certain model to choose from?

I see MSR part # 34-2161 is the chosen part here. Its stated for Honda bike replacements. Also states its 1 inch longer than stock.

So for guys who own this part, is it the same length as the Triumph stock shifter lever?
Or is it a longer fit on the Triumph Scrams?

I'm just checking before I order one for my Scram.
Thanks.
Dave

I dont know where I stashed the original shifter but the MSR one measures 4 3/4" center to center or around 5 1/2" overall length. I like the extra inch, I had problems with the factory shift lever when I rode to work with my steel-toe boots on.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #15463
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post

More here.
Nice tanks badges ajsimmo.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #15464
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Nice tanks badges ajsimmo.
Cheers Max, as you know your bronze effect badges were my inspiration.

I did try bronze/gold like yours, but my end result was not good.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #15465
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
seat

[QUOTE=ajsimmo;18767761]At last a bit of sunshine in blighty.

Your bike is looking good. Love that seat! Who did that for you?
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote