Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #15646
SMT925
n00b

Oddometer: 8

These are the lights that I used. They have a free form reflector. They are a flood light but light up the road great. I used a Bosch headlight relay and used the high beams to turn them on. It is a tight fit but the relay fits in the headlight shell.

SMT925 screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 06:23 PM
SMT925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #15647
SMT925
n00b

Here is a closer pic of the front
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #15648
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Awesome, THANKS for the details.

If my new headlamp is at all weak, I'll be trying out your setup.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #15649
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Triumph sissy bar backrest

I need some help with some measurements...

I installed a Seat Concepts cover and new foam, which is significantly thicker than stock. I planned on purchasing the Triumph Low backrest / sissy bar, but see that it is incompatible with their "king and Queen seat", presumably because of the thickness of the seat? I'm not as fond of the high backrest aesthetically.

If anyone has either the low or the high Triumph backrest, could you measure the clearance from the bottom of the seat to the bottom of the backrest? It would be super helpful to know how these will fit.

Also, is anyone is running a backrest with a City Bag, or does anyone know if they are compatible?
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #15650
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
I just bought a Thruxton with Staintune mufflers & they sound great & are legal as well.
This brings me to another question, I had TORs on my Scranbler which to me are way too loud & in fact after riding the Thruxton & have removed the TORs & fitted the standard mufflers back on.
Has anyone got the Staintunes on a Scrambler & how do they sound ?
From memory Davo has them, anyone else ?

Have even thought about putting a TEC low exhaust on, any feedback on the TEC ?

Cheers Terry
Hey Terry,

I've run the staintunes on my 06 Scrambler for the last 50,000km or so.

With the quiet bungs/plugs in they give a happy fat chubb-chubb noise at idle and around town, bark a little when you rev it , make the most glorious burble-gurgle on the over run and are not annoying when cruising on the highway.

As they're meant to be legal with the bungs in, I figure they'd be similar loudness to you Thruxton.

Scaredofthedirt screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 11:26 PM
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #15651
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofthedirt View Post
Hey Terry,

I've run the staintunes on my 06 Scrambler for the last 50,000km or so.

With the quiet bungs/plugs in they give a happy fat chubb-chubb noise at idle and around town, bark a little when you rev it , make the most glorious burble-gurgle on the over run and are not annoying when cruising on the highway.

As they're meant to be legal with the bungs in, I figure they'd be similar loudness to you Thruxton.

Cheers might have to save up for Staintunes, thanks for that Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #15652
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 660
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #15653
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Scram steers to the right

Hi guys, posted this over on another forum but wanted to get more Scrambler owner input. Any opinions/experience is appreciated.

I noticed when I ride, if I let go of the bars(no hands) the bike steers/pulls to the right consistently. Even if I take the left hand off and only try to steer straight with right side/throttle it will pull to right.

So, is this off balance due to the weight of the high side exhausts on the right side of my Scrambler leaning me in that direction?

I have the 2012 bike, 1200km now.
Tire pressure is front 32 psi rear 41 psi. Manual lists F: 31 R: 41 psi.
Forks looks ok, seems normal.
Wheels are aligned.

Never experienced this drift on my past bikes.

So for the Scram owners, is this normal and do you also experience this drift/pull to the right?

Thanks in advance.
Dave.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #15654
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi guys, posted this over on another forum but wanted to get more Scrambler owner input. Any opinions/experience is appreciated.

I noticed when I ride, if I let go of the bars(no hands) the bike steers/pulls to the right consistently. Even if I take the left hand off and only try to steer straight with right side/throttle it will pull to right.

So, is this off balance due to the weight of the high side exhausts on the right side of my Scrambler leaning me in that direction?

Wheels are aligned.

So for the Scram owners, is this normal and do you also experience this drift/pull to the right?

Thanks in advance.
Dave.
That is not normal. When I let go of the bars on my 2012 Scram it goes straight enough that I can adjust my gloves, helmet, shield, etc. and I don't have to worry about it.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #15655
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
will i be able to see the rest of this somewhere on the net ST?

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #15656
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Nope, not normal. My son and I both rode '06 Scramblers for a couple years and they run as straight and true as any other bike.
davevv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #15657
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

Wheels are aligned.

Thanks in advance.
Dave.
Dave, Normally I would suspect faulty or worn front tyre or perhaps steering head bearings but that would normally result in a head shake at lower speeds eg under 70 or 80kph if you took your hands off the bars. But then I notice that you bike is nearly new and has only done 1200km so the above is unlikely however there are two other possible senarios.

Who checked your wheel alignment and how was it done? Are you relying on the alignment marks at the chain adjusters because often these marks are inaccurate.
Secondly, could it be the way you are sitting on the bike... I have seen some riders that don't sit straight on the seat, you know, one cheek permanently hanging off the side! Perhaps you could get your local tech to take it for a test ride to get some extra feedback. I any case I wouldn't say it is life-threatening.

BTW, I am a qualified bike tech. Griz

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 11:08 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #15658
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Again, I think it is the pipes. Everyone who has answered so far has afternarket pipes (ex: Arrows). Interested to see if anyone with the stock heavy bastards can get their bike to go dead straight with the hands off the bars. My brother and I can't without shifting the far left. He has a '12 with stock pipes, I have a '09 with stock pipes.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #15659
SMT925
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Again, I think it is the pipes. Everyone who has answered so far has afternarket pipes (ex: Arrows). Interested to see if anyone with the stock heavy bastards can get their bike to go dead straight with the hands off the bars. My brother and I can't without shifting the far left. He has a '12 with stock pipes, I have a '09 with stock pipes.
I have an '06 with the stock exhaust and mine does the same thing. It drifts only slightly to the right when I let go of the bars. I don't remember my CB1 doing this but figured it has to do with the crown in the road and the extra weight on that side. You might also want to check the alignment of the rear wheel.

SMT925 screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 06:48 AM
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #15660
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
I noticed when I ride, if I let go of the bars(no hands) the bike steers/pulls to the right consistently.
Dave.
Quit texting, Dave!
Seriously, I never noticed any pull when I had stock pipes. Probably a dumb point/question, but did you ever have the wheels off? I have read where some people put the spacers on in the wrong place on re-assembly.
I do think it's as good a rationalization for lighter and better exhaust as any, though. It's a great first step in allowing these engines to breathe I'm running a Zard cross and it's a great upgrade. Many cool options out there.
RMAK is online now   Reply With Quote