ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #15676
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
twodogsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Ia
Oddometer: 212
pulls

Hi Mint, Ax that mechanic and let the dealer know why IMHO, I run my sprocket in the center of the chain when I adjust it and I have no pulling problem, and it should not leak fuel at any time, they all do it is a poor excuse just my thoughts on the subject.
twodogsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #15677
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer
 
Cooper-Clubman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Germany, Rösrath
Oddometer: 60
Sounds to me like the Rover dealer I once boght a Mini Balmoral

I bought it brandnew in the 90ies there and when I had serval issues in a few months with the car, the dealer asked me why I bought such a crap car in the first place. I was speechless.
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #15678
SMT925
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: On a road to nowhere somewhere in NJ
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsf View Post
Hi Mint, Ax that mechanic and let the dealer know why IMHO, I run my sprocket in the center of the chain when I adjust it and I have no pulling problem, and it should not leak fuel at any time, they all do it is a poor excuse just my thoughts on the subject.
What do you mean you run your sprocket in the center of the chain?

I still think it is the rear wheel that is out of alignment.
SMT925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #15679
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer
 
Cooper-Clubman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Germany, Rösrath
Oddometer: 60
Question Starting problems with my Scram

I did a longer trip a week ago. I loaded my iPhone at the plug for about 3 hours (bike was off). Then when I wanted to start, not even the cockpit lights turned on. I hooked the Batterie at a car and it took some time to get it started. First it only klicked and then it finally fired. No problems with inbeteewn stops on the way back. bike fired up as always. This morning the bike would only klick but not start. Took some time hooked to my Mini to get it startet. Rode abot 70 km and tried again: nothing. Hooked to a car again, and it took nearly 20 minutes to get it started. Only klicking inbetween. Now back at home, it started as usual. Now I'm loading the batterie and see what happens. Considering the batterie is broken , the alternator or the voltage-regulator isn't working. What do you think?
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #15680
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
twodogsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Ia
Oddometer: 212
chain

smt925, the sprocket in the center of the chain and not off to one side, when it is centered it tells me I have the alignment correct, if you look at the rear sprocket at the teeth you can see if it rides in the center or if it is pulling to the left or right, when correct it should ride in the center of the chain, I was told this early on in riding because the marks are not always correct when you adjust a chain, hope this helps.
twodogsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #15681
sillymike
Yep! That's me...
 
sillymike's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Gaspesie
Oddometer: 145
Exploring the back roads... In Quebec's Eastern Townships.

sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #15682
SMT925
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: On a road to nowhere somewhere in NJ
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsf View Post
smt925, the sprocket in the center of the chain and not off to one side, when it is centered it tells me I have the alignment correct, if you look at the rear sprocket at the teeth you can see if it rides in the center or if it is pulling to the left or right, when correct it should ride in the center of the chain, I was told this early on in riding because the marks are not always correct when you adjust a chain, hope this helps.
Misunderstood you. It was not clear that you are looking at the sprocket from the edge and how the teeth of the sprocket are centered between the plates of the chain. Makes sense.
SMT925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #15683
SMT925
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: On a road to nowhere somewhere in NJ
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper-Clubman View Post
I did a longer trip a week ago. I loaded my iPhone at the plug for about 3 hours (bike was off). Then when I wanted to start, not even the cockpit lights turned on. I hooked the Batterie at a car and it took some time to get it started. First it only klicked and then it finally fired. No problems with inbeteewn stops on the way back. bike fired up as always. This morning the bike would only klick but not start. Took some time hooked to my Mini to get it startet. Rode abot 70 km and tried again: nothing. Hooked to a car again, and it took nearly 20 minutes to get it started. Only klicking inbetween. Now back at home, it started as usual. Now I'm loading the batterie and see what happens. Considering the batterie is broken , the alternator or the voltage-regulator isn't working. What do you think?
How old is the battery?
First check that connections at battery are clean and tight.
Charge battery and check voltage with engine off start engine and check for voltage increase( you might have to increase rpm above idle to see a increase in voltage)
If connections were clean and tight and bike is charging the battery is most likely dead.
Think about getting a battery tender and plug the bike in especially in the winter when it is cold and you might not ride as often as the rest of the year.
I have a '06 still using the original battery with no problems so far.
SMT925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #15684
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer
 
Cooper-Clubman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Germany, Rösrath
Oddometer: 60
Battery is only 3 months old. But I got a hint.

There might be a problem with the switch at the clutch lever. If there is a loose contact, that might be the reason why the bike will not start imedialtey after bypassing the batterie to a car. After servalt attempts, it might work. I'lll check.
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #15685
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte
 
The Killstar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper-Clubman View Post
There might be a problem with the switch at the clutch lever. If there is a loose contact, that might be the reason why the bike will not start imedialtey after bypassing the batterie to a car. After servalt attempts, it might work. I'lll check.
I had this happen a couple of times when I was on a trip as well, where the bike was showing neutral, but I think was slightly in gear, and therefore wouldn't start. I stomped it into first and it came to life on the next button push. Might not be exactly what is wrong but it sounds a bit similar, with the bike not even clicking over.
__________________
Watch out for snakes! - Crow T Robot
2000 Honda Sabre (Sold)
2010 Triumph T100 Black
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #15686
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub
 
FoothillRyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Biker Heaven
Oddometer: 406
a little ride on the Scram...

http://foothillryder.com/sabmag-rock...smr-cedaredge/

A bit over 2500 miles start to finish. Turns out the Scram isn't terrific loaded above 75mph, especially with a headwind. Having thoughts about swapping for an early model Tiger. PM me if you have an interest.

The Scram is a fine little runabout; but on the road it can be a little twitchy and nervous.

Still a fun time, and we made it without issues.

__________________
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #15687
twolf
Dork
 
twolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle / Wenatchee, WA
Oddometer: 36
GIANT LOOP Coyote on a Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongW View Post
Does anyone know if the Giant Loop bag will work on the scrambler?
I test fit my Giant Loop Coyote on my 09 Scrambler with Arrow 2 into 1. When loaded, the bottom of the right side of the bag and the webbing will come into contact with the heat shield. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm taking a 4 day ride mid July and will report back.

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v50/p796909388-4.jpg

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p1043086761-4.jpg

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v45/p514933430-4.jpg
twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #15688
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.
 
Forty Years Ago's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 259
I have used the Ventura luggage system on several long trips on the Scram. I'm very happy with it. Plenty of capacity for my needs.
__________________
Jon

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #15689
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer
 
Cooper-Clubman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Germany, Rösrath
Oddometer: 60
My packed Scram

When I'm doing longe distances with the Scram, I use a racepack (http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...typid=67867624) and a waterproof roll. The racepack is waterproof and easy to fix on the bike. You can even get a tent roll for it to click on.
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #15690
allan68
Adventurer
 
allan68's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 77
vibration @ certain rpm's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
I test rode a Scram yesterday at my local dealer and I was quite impressed .I really like it.

But I noticed an unpleasant vibration at slightly above 2000 rpm and below, when you close the throttle with gear engaged before stopping at a light. On the other ranges the engine is completely smooth.

Is that common on a Scrambler?

Best wishes
Georgios
This is the exact sme thing I've been trying to diagnose on my '07.
2nd gear around 2000-2500 rpms there is quite a vibration in the front end.
Makes the windscreen make a lot of noise.
I'm surprised others haven't had this issue. Doesn't seem to be problem with the forks, front wheel or any usual suspects of a vibration like that.
No one else experience this?
__________________
Allan
2007 Triumph Scram
2008 Ktm XC 300
2001 LC4 640e > sold
Super Tenere > sold
allan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014