Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #15691
allan68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan68 View Post
This is the exact sme thing I've been trying to diagnose on my '07.
2nd gear around 2000-2500 rpms there is quite a vibration in the front end.
Makes the windscreen make a lot of noise.
I'm surprised others haven't had this issue. Doesn't seem to be problem with the forks, front wheel or any usual suspects of a vibration like that.
No one else experience this?
Engine crash bars maybe?
Only way to find out would be to remove them and ride...
2001 LC4 640e > sold
Super Tenere > sold
allan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #15692
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,114
My bike is smooth all the time and has adequate power at 70-90 mph.
I mean really, a reciprocating piston motor is going to have some vibration somewhere.
A downshift to fourth will bring it up if its struggling at higher highway speeds - remember the Scrambler is not really a 'beast', gotta work the gearbox sometimes...
I scoot all over and my buddies are surprised how well my bike moves out. Its because I downshift to be in the power now.
Oh at 13K miles a throttle body sync (and cleaning my filthy air filter) helped smooth out my bike, and I feel helped it accelerate well again too. I didn't notice how much it had deteriorated. Smoother & faster.
I don't understand 'nervous' at speed. That could be tires, shock stiffness, riding style, luggage attachment or type of windscreen.
The forks can have a bit of stiction making for a sometimes bouncy ride, but minimal really.
Not much to sort other than replacing stock shocks and maybe changing fork oil, although I never have.
YMMV!

Not so picky, just ride it!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #15693
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
- remember the Scrambler is not really a 'beast',
Now, Max, that's a pain that's going to linger...
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #15694
scramblase
ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer: 97
I too have joined the other side.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #15695
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I thought the "nervous" thing might have been slightly unbalanced luggage. Surprised to read that comment after this entire thread. Like most others my scram's solid at 80+ mph on the freeway.

And the vibes at certain revs might be harmonics (just a possibility; def don't count out something mechanical just cos I mention this tho...!). Vibrations of certain frequencies can transmit more readily through objects depending on structure/stiffness/lengths etc etc...remember that famous video of that road bridge swaying in the high winds & breaking up..? If a disturbance input (wind induced oscillations or engine vibes) just happens to be the right frequency then they might get readily transmitted through either your bridge or motorbike. On a bike I think a lot of that would be related to the handlebars you have. I'm no big expert [so I'm prolly wrong]. Just a possibility.

thistle66 screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 08:03 PM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #15696
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
I'm surprised others haven't had this issue. Doesn't seem to be problem with the forks, front wheel or any usual suspects of a vibration like that.
I commented on this in an earlier post( coupl pages back and just past the thirteen year supermodel.
I have a strange vibration that comes and goes. Mine does not seem to be engine RPM related. it seems to be rolling front tyre enduced. I can accelerate forward up to +- thirty five mph and shut the engine off and place in nuetral. it still creates an harmonic ressonance that my best guess tickles the plastic front fender.
I thought it was the speedo cable as mine is such driven, but have replaced it with new and no change.
It reather drives me crazy. I have a very slight warped front disk that I would not replace as it still functions well within tolerable scale. It may be causing a vibration through the pads that tranfers the occilations onward and upward.
I have put roughly one thousand miles on it since purchased and it started out without incident till I cut the dealer a check. It is used and as such I feel that it is let the buyer beware status. I want that annoying vibration to be gone and then I will head over hills in love with this bike. HELP
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #15697
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
vibrate

I think the stock tires give out a little vibration, I could be wrong but it seems on mine that is where it comes from at about 25 to 35 mph, nothing after that.
twodogsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #15698
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsf View Post
I think the stock tires give out a little vibration, I could be wrong but it seems on mine that is where it comes from at about 25 to 35 mph, nothing after that.
Thanx, I hope you are right. It recieved new tyres prior to purchase. So far I am gelling quite well with the steed.
Took her out on a fireroad last weekend and found out just how much she needs leg work.
I find the rubber to be deteriorating at a much faster pace than other bikes that have many more years on them.
All rubber parts look more like thirty years old instead of five.
The intake boots from the air box are cracked at what I would assume to be an allarming rate.
I di not have the history of this bike but fail to see how it could be plced in an environement that could cause such a rapid aging proccess. Perhaps that is to help give it that authentic "retro" look.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #15699
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Wink 'Vintage Look' rubber bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
Thanx, I hope you are right. It recieved new tyres prior to purchase. So far I am gelling quite well with the steed.
Took her out on a fireroad last weekend and found out just how much she needs leg work.
I find the rubber to be deteriorating at a much faster pace than other bikes that have many more years on them.
All rubber parts look more like thirty years old instead of five.
The intake boots from the air box are cracked at what I would assume to be an allarming rate.
I di not have the history of this bike but fail to see how it could be plced in an environement that could cause such a rapid aging proccess. Perhaps that is to help give it that authentic "retro" look.

I am noticing that as well, haven't checked the carb boots but 'unimportant' stuff like the boots over the mirror bolts are splitting. This on an '08 purchased new in August of 09. Mine is quite smooth but having put a 3 1/2" nail through the rear Trailwing before I got to 2,000 miles, I changed to Trail Attacks then since this is a 'unpaved roads at worst' bike for me. There may not be a thing wrong with Trail Wings but for a street based bike they don't compare to the Contis.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #15700
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
A Teaser pic of my Bonnie.

Just a teaser pic of my scrambler project. Started off as a standard T100 Bonneville. Still waiting on a few bits and pieces but she's starting to take shape.

Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #15701
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 303
Yep, I think she's in fine shape!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
Just a teaser pic of my scrambler project. Started off as a standard T100 Bonneville. Still waiting on a few bits and pieces but she's starting to take shape.

RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #15702
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
I do not have the history of this bike but...
This leaves possibilities.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #15703
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
@ steve sa - just love her shape too! The bike looks great as well.

Dig the clean look of the bars without clocks.
Is that a 7" headlight & stone guard?
Love the 2-1 zard!

mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #15704
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Front tyre. Mine did that with the original front tyre. Changing it to a tourance at ~8500 km fixed the problem. Funny though, I put the tyre on my cx500 to run it out and no problem there.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #15705
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Front tyre. Mine did that with the original front tyre. Changing it to a tourance at ~8500 km fixed the problem. Funny though, I put the tyre on my cx500 to run it out and no problem there.
I agree, my Anakee mounted T100 has a weird low frequency vibration when I am slowing to a stop. Just takes some getting used to.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote