Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #15706
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Hi,
Servus-TV from Austria:
Triumph Scramblers in the Pyreenian mountains in a few minutes!!!
Kind regards, Bambi

Bambi screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 01:06 PM
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #15707
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
To be continued every 1. Monday of month! At 8.15 in the evening!
Triumphant regards, Bambi
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #15708
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Rubber aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I am noticing that as well, haven't checked the carb boots but 'unimportant' stuff like the boots over the mirror bolts are splitting. This on an '08 purchased new in August of 09. Mine is quite smooth but having put a 3 1/2" nail through the rear Trailwing before I got to 2,000 miles, I changed to Trail Attacks then since this is a 'unpaved roads at worst' bike for me. There may not be a thing wrong with Trail Wings but for a street based bike they don't compare to the Contis.

Bruce
I can confirm that. I couldn't believe my eyes when I took a loser look to serval rubber parts after only 3 years. Rotten and spongy all over. Even my only 6 months mounted scottoiler had rotten rubber parts. I wrote a mail to Rockoil and got replacement. They changed the recepie for the rubber since a while. But the rubbercovers at the mirrors, at the oilpressureswitch, and serval other laces look nearly as old as on my T140 E (built 1980)
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #15709
Esco
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Scram pulling to the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi guys, posted this over on another forum but wanted to get more Scrambler owner input. Any opinions/experience is appreciated.

I noticed when I ride, if I let go of the bars(no hands) the bike steers/pulls to the right consistently. Even if I take the left hand off and only try to steer straight with right side/throttle it will pull to right.

So, is this off balance due to the weight of the high side exhausts on the right side of my Scrambler leaning me in that direction?

I have the 2012 bike, 1200km now.
Tire pressure is front 32 psi rear 41 psi. Manual lists F: 31 R: 41 psi.
Forks looks ok, seems normal.
Wheels are aligned.

Never experienced this drift on my past bikes.

So for the Scram owners, is this normal and do you also experience this drift/pull to the right?

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Noticed the same on my bike when I first got it. I reckon it is most definitely caused by the weight of the oem pipes.
When you let go on of the handle bars on a higher speed - the bike will be ok.
As the speed decreases the centrifugal effect of the wheels also gets smaller and the bike starts to lean right.
I don't consider this as an issue - I'm installing aftermarket exhaust because of the torque, weight reduction & looks
Esco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #15710
prince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
seat....

so, i just got myself an 06 and the problem is that i am mechanically challenged. It seems that all of you are doing the work on your machines and that i didn't catch before pulling my wallet trigger. Also after reading this entire thread and chatting with my local mechanic it seems that those beautiful babies need MAJOR improvement. Pipe, pegs, suspension (rear and front), light, brakes, wheels and of course a seat. Did i miss something? i mean i enjoy ridding around town but i wouldn't go to the end of the world and back with it. So i will start with the zard cause i like it, but what next? i mean shall i take a mechanic course because my local guy is charging a fortune for the work in general. I am at a loss! i guess i'll do bits by bits but it could take a lifetime.
On a different note, anybody got hold of the roc stompa guys because i had those pegs on my GS and i loved them. No i don't like the pivot p[egs, its the pivot bit that i don't like.
thanks for all your input.
prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #15711
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,168
Its not that you have to change anything.
Its because you can.

Farkling is fun!

Things you think need replacing will become apparent in time.

Just ride it!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #15712
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 146
Enjoying the back roads of Vermont with a few friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Its not that you have to change anything.
Its because you can.

Farkling is fun!

Things you think need replacing will become apparent in time.

Just ride it!
Or the bike will tell you... Like the bike getting upset you replaced the shift lever but didn't change the brake pedal...

Anybody knows of a folding brake pedals that fits the Scrambler?...
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #15713
revis
Winded

Oddometer: 12
I just bought FoothillRyder's bike and it arrived today. Im digging the overall feel on and offroad so far.

revis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #15714
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
so, i just got myself an 06 and the problem is that i am mechanically challenged. It seems that all of you are doing the work on your machines and that i didn't catch before pulling my wallet trigger. Also after reading this entire thread and chatting with my local mechanic it seems that those beautiful babies need MAJOR improvement. Pipe, pegs, suspension (rear and front), light, brakes, wheels and of course a seat. Did i miss something? i mean i enjoy ridding around town but i wouldn't go to the end of the world and back with it. So i will start with the zard cause i like it, but what next? i mean shall i take a mechanic course because my local guy is charging a fortune for the work in general. I am at a loss! i guess i'll do bits by bits but it could take a lifetime.
On a different note, anybody got hold of the roc stompa guys because i had those pegs on my GS and i loved them. No i don't like the pivot p[egs, its the pivot bit that i don't like.
Just take 1 long ride,200 miles or more,try some real bumpy roads,marvel at the pipe jabbing you in the leg the whole time,realize the forks twist readily in the clamps under hard braking,try to pass a string of cars quick like and you will be aching for more power,also keep an eye out for gas stations as the stock tank doesnt hold much and mileage isnt great even stock. The seat.............. is a styling effort of sorts.
The forks and shocks will bounce you straight up in the air and test your spine nicely.
Hey its a vintage bike right?
No matter where you park it,people will come up and ask about it,its a Scrambler thing.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #15715
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Talking Change Things To Suit Yourself

Quote:

There are many, many things about the Scrambler that others have changed, that sure doesn't mean that you have to change the same things. Unless you 'think' that it is a sport bike and try to ride it as one there isn't much that HAS to be changed for safety and survival. I wouldn't ride at night much with that headlight (I tried but I am old and couldn't see enough, so I will be changing mine). I did the "Black Tiger Fork Mod" and found it very much an improvement for very little money and an hours (maybe two, I am pretty slow in the shop as well as on the road) work. I have added Mustang foot pegs because they lower the foot position 3/4" or so and don't look 'dorky' like when I just had the pegs swapped left for right (actually, the Mustangs look really cool, but if they were stock height my knees would have decreed them not cost effective). I might have kept the stock tires until they wore out but a looong nail in the rear 'justified' spending some $$$ for the more street oriented Conti Trail Attacks that I wanted to try (and love since an unpaved road is as 'dirty' as I should get on a bike this heavy). I'd love an exhaust that sounded more like a Triumph from the 60's, everything aftermarket that I have heard is louder than I want so no changes there are imminent for me. A nicer set of shocks is somewhere on the list, some LED's on the dash that I could actually see in daylight might be nice, mirrors that don't (litterally) rust over night, yeah, lots of stuff that I might get to someday. Ride and enjoy your bike, then, decide what YOU think you'd like to change, don't pay all that much attention to what I or anyone else thinks needs to be changed. It only needs to make YOU happy! Enjoy.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #15716
Cooper-Clubman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Just sit on it and ride it. And after a while, if you really want to, you can start with tinkering. You'll start with easier things and then you get more confindent. And look for a friend or go to a Triumph rally where you can find people who are more than pleased to share their experience. ( I met two people living only 2 kms from my place I 'd never have met otherwise) But be sure they tell you how, but let you do most of the things yourself. It's your toy at last ;). Why we want to do it ourselfes? Read that : Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work

Enjoy riding.
Cooper-Clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #15717
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Just take 1 long ride,200 miles or more,try some real bumpy roads,marvel at the pipe jabbing you in the leg the whole time,realize the forks twist readily in the clamps under hard braking,try to pass a string of cars quick like and you will be aching for more power,also keep an eye out for gas stations as the stock tank doesnt hold much and mileage isnt great even stock. The seat.............. is a styling effort of sorts.
The forks and shocks will bounce you straight up in the air and test your spine nicely.
Hey its a vintage bike right?
No matter where you park it,people will come up and ask about it,its a Scrambler thing.
A stretch on a few things there Foot dragger. Obviously the Scrambler wasn't for you.
It will blitz your local region well.
Just start with some aftermarket shocks. The stock shocks kick your backside.
Everything else is personal preference... And opinion.
But yes, its not a modern technical exercise. And thats the beauty... it just goes.

The Scrambler solo seat (with rack) is the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden on IMHO.

Congrats on the new to you bike revis.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #15718
Maxacceleration
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymike View Post

Anybody knows of a folding brake pedals that fits the Scrambler?...
Looks like you can fold a brake lever just fine! lol ...Sorry.

What serrated pegs you have there?
Sounds dangerous.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #15719
fugowie
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New to thread

I love your bike and I have a few questions. What type of seat is that or did you mod it yourself. I am thinking of shortening my existing seat. Did you just remove the silencers on your exhaust? If so what did that do to the sound and performance? I love the look of the shortened exhaust and was considering doing that until I could afford another exhaust. Thanks for the photo's and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
This is my 08 scrambler. I've had it for a few months now. I've been trying to give it the "Jack Pine" feel without totally copying Hammarhead's bike. I've still got a few things to work out, primarily the clutch perch assembly and the front brake master cylinder. I've had a Zard Cross on order for a couple of months now, but I got tired of waiting and threw on the original headers so I could fire it up and take a test ride. Hopefully the Zard will be in soon so I can finalize the jetting. Once the Zard comes in, the bike should be around 40 pounds lighter than stock. I wouldn't mind putting a set of Excel Rims on as well, but I'll have to see what the budget looks like for 2012.
fugowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #15720
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Can anybody confirm the gearing ratio on of the speedo drive on an '08 T100 Bonneville? I'm wanting to order a mini speedometer. Most aftermaket speedos have a 1:5 ratio.

Thanks, Steve
Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote