Oddometer: 64
Be sure to check out this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyJZQIViejQ
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #15782
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
optical - yup found it and have been watching it a LOT. along with the way of the desert sled video. how is out of the box performance? the desert sled video has a pretty modified scrambler. the scramble me video looks like a pretty stock bike, and it looks like it taking a pretty good beating.

ive always wanted an original desert sled AJS, Matchless, BSA, or triumph project bike, but never found any near by for reasonable prices. So i figure this is perfect. the look i like, and all the modern day technology, and i can drive it daily. and probably a lot cheaper in the long run than an original.

im sure most of my questions will be answered as i read the thousand pages of this post over the next couple months. im impressed with the die hard fan base already.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #15783
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
also to all you guys that got one, what were your other choices when you were looking for a bike and what pushed you towards the triumph?
Other choices?! As a vintage bike fanatic and owner myself there really wasn't any other choice. I saw the Scrambler and that was it.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #15784
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
alright scrambler gurus...i got a question.

in the market for a new bike this fall. im a vintage fanatic, but my next bike i want modern reliability, good brakes, and modern suspension. the scrambler seems to be a good mix from what ive read, still working on the other 1000 pages of this thread though.

my 3 bikes in the mix right now are the scrambler, sportster, and a monster. I know all different bikes, but they fit my price range and seem like good commuter bikes. i have never owned a triumph or a ducati, but had an 87 sportster. it had issues when i got it from crap fixes from previous owners, and it was only a 4 speed. so im putting that behind me and have heard good stuff from the newer bikes. im not familiar with the triumph and ducati quirks and issues.

right now number one is the scrambler though. i love the desert sled look, and i like the idea that i can take it on some dirt roads and truck trails in my area and do some exploring. I have a dirt bike, so im not looking for a true dual sport, but like i said i like that desert sled look, and wouldnt mind getting it dirty once in awhile on reasonable terrain.

do the scramblers come with a different suspension setup than the other triumphs to make it more "dual sportish" or is this just a bonneville with high pipes? what are the other differences that are specific to the scrambler?

also to all you guys that got one, what were your other choices when you were looking for a bike and what pushed you towards the triumph?
Here's the abridged version of my conversion:
  • Saw a photo, got curious
  • Sat on the first matt khaki custom machine at a bike show
  • Got that feeling
  • Took a test ride
  • Grinned a lot
  • Bought one
  • Farkles
  • Lots o' miles
  • Scraped pegs
  • Falling off in the loose stuff
  • More grinning
Basically it is a Bonneville with high pipes and fork gators, but with one major difference: the 270 firing order is far superior to the Bonnie's 360 degree operation of the same motor, providing less top-end (but who cares about that on a long haul) more torque and an even sweeter sound. This is in no way a Dual Sport bike, but that - as I'm sure you've seen in this thread - really doesn't mean you can't hit the trails with it if you just commit and accept that it aint no KTM.

That said, you will need to switch out the crappy standard shocks and fork springs - even for spirited road riding. Ditching the immensely heavy exhaust really helps the handling too. Oh, and the tyres - those OEM Bridgestones are washy as all hell. Saddle's a bit on the plank side too. New pads and discs aren't a bad idea either. Beyond that lighter, stronger rims are on the list.

With just half-decent suspension, you can still ride the wheels off the thing without getting too deep into jail territory if you ever do get clocked. And when it does get a bit out of shape (which it will), you get plenty of warning, so it's much more 'shits n' giggles' than 'shityerpants' when the front pushes, or whatever. Obviously, a few more ponies wouldn't do any harm (aint that always the case!), but a decent air filter and free-flowing exhaust system helps the thing breathe far better. Rip out the AI while you're at it too.

As you may have guessed, in my humble opinion there are some essential mods required out of the crate if you want to work the bike hard on various surfaces. On any other bike, that'd be a deal-breaker, but with a Scram' it's different. It's not supposed to be fast or climb like a mountain goat, it's just meant just to be a nice bike - what you do with it (tootle around the countryside, split lanes on the way to work or take off around the world or whatever) is your business. Two wheels good - pretty much the essence of motorcycling. And stripping them down or tarting them up is all part of the enjoyment because it's a bike you can truly make your own. Especially because it's real easy to work on and doesn't have a load of baffling electronics waiting to let you down in the middle of nowhere - particularly if you go for the pretty much bomb-proof carbed version.

Essentially, out of all the bikes I've owned, this is the one that makes me grin the most. That's why I bought it and fully intend to see all the zeros on the odometer at least once more. I recently emigrated from the UK to the US, but instead of doing the smart thing by selling it and buying another over here, I'll be shelling out far too much on shipping, duty and going through hell to import and register it, because I irrationally decided this one's a keeper. What is also interesting is that, for some reason, out of all the machines I've owned it also happens to be the one that makes my non-riding mates consider getting a bike too.

Plus, Scramblers look better a bit beat up and dirty, which is a result.

My advice: give it a go. At least take a test ride. They hold their value well too, so you can always chop it in for something else if for some reason it doesn't quite do it for you.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 05:52 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #15785
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
alright scrambler gurus...i got a question.

in the market for a new bike this fall. im a vintage fanatic, but my next bike i want modern reliability, good brakes, and modern suspension. the scrambler seems to be a good mix from what ive read, still working on the other 1000 pages of this thread though.

my 3 bikes in the mix right now are the scrambler, sportster, and a monster. I know all different bikes, but they fit my price range and seem like good commuter bikes. i have never owned a triumph or a ducati, but had an 87 sportster. it had issues when i got it from crap fixes from previous owners, and it was only a 4 speed. so im putting that behind me and have heard good stuff from the newer bikes. im not familiar with the triumph and ducati quirks and issues.

right now number one is the scrambler though. i love the desert sled look, and i like the idea that i can take it on some dirt roads and truck trails in my area and do some exploring. I have a dirt bike, so im not looking for a true dual sport, but like i said i like that desert sled look, and wouldnt mind getting it dirty once in awhile on reasonable terrain.

do the scramblers come with a different suspension setup than the other triumphs to make it more "dual sportish" or is this just a bonneville with high pipes? what are the other differences that are specific to the scrambler?

I just sold my Ducati Monster. Did not have any issues with it. Great bike, especially after I upgraded the suspension (a post-off opportunity!). I never road it after I got my Scrambler though and it was a shame to have it sitting around. The Monster was waaaaaaaay faster, lighter and better handling (not that I even came close to riding it to its full potential) but the Scrambler was (for whatever reason) more fun. I do miss the sportyness (just a little) but I have a T100 that I may sell to get myself a Thruxton. Too busy enjoying the Scrambler right now though. Other than the different crank, I would agree the Scrambler is as you said essentially a "bonneville with high pipes" but somehow, it seems like more than that. The suspension and some other small bits are more like the Thrux actually but the exhaust and knobby's just make it "different".
I am not a young man and this bike fits me and my riding style to a T. Not going hardcore offroad anytime soon and not racing any rice-rockets either. I simply love riding this bike.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #15786
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan68 View Post
Terry,

What brand of grips did you purchase and where did you hook the wires up to?
I got the Oxford hot grips, I ran the wires down low from the grips, bit neater that way.

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #15787
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
I just sold my Ducati Monster. Did not have any issues with it. Great bike, especially after I upgraded the suspension (a post-off opportunity!). I never road it after I got my Scrambler though and it was a shame to have it sitting around. The Monster was waaaaaaaay faster, lighter and better handling (not that I even came close to riding it to its full potential) but the Scrambler was (for whatever reason) more fun. I do miss the sportyness (just a little) but I have a T100 that I may sell to get myself a Thruxton. Too busy enjoying the Scrambler right now though. Other than the different crank, I would agree the Scrambler is as you said essentially a "bonneville with high pipes" but somehow, it seems like more than that. The suspension and some other small bits are more like the Thrux actually but the exhaust and knobby's just make it "different".
I am not a young man and this bike fits me and my riding style to a T. Not going hardcore offroad anytime soon and not racing any rice-rockets either. I simply love riding this bike.
I have had a Scrambler since 2008 & have had a lot of fun on it & have bought another classic a 2009 Thruxton....they are so different it is hard to believe.
For me the riding position is perfect (5'6" & 74kgs) it's smooth, stops better & goes better than the Scrambler.
But in saying that I took the Scrambler out yesterday & had a ball, I bought both bikes without a test ride & I've got to say both have been better than I ever dreamed they would.
My wife thought I was crazy getting the Thruxton " why do you want 2 bikes almost the same" I took my brother in law out & he rode both, could not believe the difference.

Different folk like different bikes for different reasons but I think I have the perfect pair for me at least.

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #15788
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Long travel?

I haven't read every page of this thread so I'll ask if anyone has done a longer travel Scrambler?

I have bought a DR650 front suspension and adapting that will be easy.
I have been talking with Works Performance about a set of custom shocks for longer travel.
With the geometry of the swing arm,about 7.5 inches of travel is the maximum.

I will have to add a chain tensioner and probably a rear guide as the chain gets very loose at full droop.

I already have the front forks mounted and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the custom shocks.
Obviously the bike will be taller but with the forks painted black and gaiters in place it will look relatively stock.

Has anyone done this and are there any drawbacks that I am not seeing?

My purpose in this is to make a more capable Dual Sport mount. Obviously not a motocross bike but more forgiving on the rocky back country roads here in Colorado.

I'm open to pros and cons on this idea.

My inspiration is the "Trouble" conversion owned by a member of this forum.Obviously not in that league but a step in that direction.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #15789
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:

The other contenders were;
- Moto Guzi V7... But dealerships are few and far between
- Tiger 955... Would have been a more rational bike, but I liked the look of the Scrambler better.
- BMW R65... But I wanted a bike that was still in production...

Beside, I've had a bug for the Scrambler ever since it came out...
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #15790
delwilli
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Forks?

I am considering fork mods on my 2012 Scrambler. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Bitubo fork cartridge kit vs. the Ricor intimidators with heavier springs. Both look like they would work well but I am kind of leaning towards the Bitubo setup as it is more "modern" technology. Have any of you first hand knowledge of the above units? The fork mods will be matched to either the Bitubo WMT or Works billet tracker shocks

Thanks in advance!
delwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #15791
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shercoman View Post
I haven't read every page of this thread so I'll ask if anyone has done a longer travel Scrambler?

My inspiration is the "Trouble" conversion owned by a member of this forum.Obviously not in that league but a step in that direction.
It has crossed my mind Sherco. I think some have said here to leave the Scrambler alone, to keep its classic lines.
But... I think the right person could give the bike longer travel.
If you have the fab skills (or fabricator) and a pocketbook I think a nice original outcome could be had.
The bike will still be heavy... tall & heavy. You are changing the geometry by using a leading axle fork, which could be figured in with the right triple clamps.
In an all out build, I would do a banana swingarm as on the Maico pictured below. Lots of geometry to figure in there...
Oh, raise it level or slightly rear high or mimic some dirtbike geometry.
I believe there is a carbon fiber tank out there. Nice for weight savings.
Trim a seat down an inch for your raised bike...
But the real deal would be a chrome moly frame as on Trouble.
Yes I own Trouble and at 380 lbs it is significantly light than a stock Scrambler.
Those are the things I think of in my dream build and still keeping classic lines.
If you go through with it... Good luck, and...
We want pictures.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #15792
Extreme scrambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Extreme Scrambler

This is my Scrambler.
It's still work in progress.
I did a 21" / 18" conversion,
I hope you like it.
Extreme scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #15793
HackFlipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Some light Dual sporting with the wife.

Took the wife out "Scrambling" on some forest roads around Mt. Hood, Oregon. Here are some pics.

2006 Yamaha FJR1300
1975 Honda CT90
HackFlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #15794
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme scrambler View Post

This is my Scrambler.
I hope you like it.
This is a very cool looking Scrambler.
Can you detail your mods?
Your suspension changes look like what I want to do.
Forks?
Travel?
Shocks?
Travel?
Sprocket sizes?
Rear travel looks longer,any chain tension issues?
Front brake?

Very nice job!!!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #15795
Isde265
ISDE 265

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme scrambler View Post

This is my Scrambler.
I hope you like it.
I love your scrambler!! Nice job

I specially like the rear part, What kind of rear fender is it?

If you have more pics, I am sure we all will enjoy them!!
Isde265 is offline   Reply With Quote