Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #15871
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
Wow, my first post on Adv scrambler thread. Just got a '06 Scrambler and loving it.

Boola Boola, you might want to checkout this link:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103

The XS650 hotrodders have spent a ton of effort to create 270 motors from the OEM 360 motors. They refer to it as rephasing and it seems to be condsidered the height of XS650 performance mods. We lucky scrambler owners get the 270 ready to go.
Welcome to the thread and thanks for the link, Checkers. That rephasing thread is a good read.

Yeah, I LOVE the Scram having the 270 as stock. I've not ridden a Bonnie, but I think it'd be a more bland rhythym with the 360.

My second bike after I got my license was a '58 3TA (T21) which was 360, so that had a plain even beat.

My first road bike was an old '62 BSA 250 Star (C15) single (but with an A50/65 tank, sports fenders and non-cowled headlight, so it was sweet on the eye). I grew to love it so much that I bought the 3TA to save wearing out the BSA on my long-ish daily commute.
They're both long gone now but, of the two, it's the single that I've missed the most over the years - and now my Scram's 270 'hoofbeats' exhaust rythym nicely taps in to the fond memory of loping along on that old single.

For many reasons, including that, the Scram is firmly my favourite motorcycle of those that I've had. Definately a 'keeper'.

The years between selling the old Brits and getting the current 'new' Brit (Red/White '08 EFI Scram) were spent with Yam 350LC, 350F2YPVS and RZV500R two-strokes and a KX125A3 and KX500A2 'crossers.

Cool to hear you're loving your '06, Checkers - which colourway is it? Red/Wht or Blue Wht?

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #15872
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Nice Henry!

What happened to the MASS Mohave?
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #15873
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Nice Henry!

What happened to the MASS Mohave?
Change of plans:-) I can now pursue a more endure look and handling since I got the speed triple R.
No compromise for asfalt and long trips. A black Mojave set is on the list, together with custom paint
enduro tyres and some other stuff. :-)

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #15874
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Forrest

A nice 50 km trip on a gravel road over a small local mountain / forrest.

Nice little lake, no fishing allowed doe..

Green and quiet when the engine is off

Left side picture :-)

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #15875
Cariboo_kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Some shots of a 4 day trip through central BC including about 300km over dirt and gravel. Mine's the Tiger but since this is the Scrambler page here are some pics of buddy Dougal's 2010 doing what Scramblers do quite well.

Crossing the Rudi Johnson Bridge over the Fraser River

Overlooking Farwell Canyon on the Chilcotin Plateau

Gang Ranch Road

Kelly Lake Road to Pavillion

Ditto

Lillooet to Goldbridge

Coalmont/Tulameen Road

Overlooking Adams Lake

Cariboo_kid screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 08:12 AM
Cariboo_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #15876
Checkers
Scrambled

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
Welcome to the thread and thanks for the link, Checkers. That rephasing thread is a good read.

Yeah, I LOVE the Scram having the 270 as stock. I've not ridden a Bonnie, but I think it'd be a more bland rhythym with the 360.

My second bike after I got my license was a '58 3TA (T21) which was 360, so that had a plain even beat.

My first road bike was an old '62 BSA 250 Star (C15) single (but with an A50/65 tank, sports fenders and non-cowled headlight, so it was sweet on the eye). I grew to love it so much that I bought the 3TA to save wearing out the BSA on my long-ish daily commute.
They're both long gone now but, of the two, it's the single that I've missed the most over the years - and now my Scram's 270 'hoofbeats' exhaust rythym nicely taps in to the fond memory of loping along on that old single.

For many reasons, including that, the Scram is firmly my favourite motorcycle of those that I've had. Definately a 'keeper'.

The years between selling the old Brits and getting the current 'new' Brit (Red/White '08 EFI Scram) were spent with Yam 350LC, 350F2YPVS and RZV500R two-strokes and a KX125A3 and KX500A2 'crossers.

Cool to hear you're loving your '06, Checkers - which colourway is it? Red/Wht or Blue Wht?
Boola

You have a ownership pedigree to die for. The old beezers are some of the most beautiful bike designs ever IMHO.

I bought a RZ350 the first year they were released. I crashed it in the mountains 2 months later, but at least I walked away. I Iusted after a RZV500. Also had a KX250 but was never man enough for the 500. I've built a GS550, Z-1R. GSXR 750. Various CBR900s, A beautiful little Yamaha SRX single. Ducati 916. Yamaha R1. Oh, I also use to race Honda Hawks in the 650 opens twins class up at Sears Point. The tech inspection guys always said my Hawk was meticulous and asked why I always finished last. LOL.

When I told my old racing buddy that I bought a new bike he asked me if I had gotten a Hayabusa! The Scrambler makes a 1/3 of the power of my last streetbike and weighs 100 lbs more and I find myself grinning like an idiot everytime I ride it. It makes me remember why I got into bikes in the first place.

My scrambler is a tarnished red and white '07. When I got it, the tank was dinged by the handlebar switches, the handlebar was bent and the ignitor was wonky. But she ran like a tank. I've switched out the bars, getting the tank fixed and dealing with the ignitor. I cleaned her as she was filthy from neglect. The previous owner thought that general maintenance was defined by copious over use of chain lube, it was a bit of mess. I just pulled the EVAP loss system and will do the AI removal next. Having a blast just honking around. I plan to sneak it out to some of the local mountain fire roads in the near future.

Cheers and thank you for the kind welcome.

Checkers screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 07:13 PM
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #15877
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If the sand doesn't get you - the fesh fesh must.

My mate Dave had a 'little off' yesterday . He blamed it on a submerged log.

Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #15878
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,159
Guys, is there a good Scrambler forum with an extensive FAQ I can read to get up to speed on these bikes?

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #15879
monks_point
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
The TriumphRAT forums have some great info on these bijss
monks_point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #15880
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
My mate Dave had a 'little off' yesterday . He blamed it on a submerged log.

Haha, holy crap. I may have to invest in some dresser bars. Glad to see a dirty scram!

So, Triumphantscrambler posted awhile back with his custom rack and asked if anyone else was interested. I was!

So, for less than the cost of a Ventura rack he hooked me up with the frame and I mounted some Pelican cases.

First, the build quality of the rack seems solid. I'm happy. I had no issues getting it mounted on so thanks Nick!
I had to be difficult and declined the ammo cans Nick used in his original rack. I wanted to mount the pelicans to save some LBS.

I had Nick add a back rest of sorts to mine and it resulted in the triangle you see below. Sadly, I didn't think about the fact the pelican cases' hinge is parallel to the lines of the frame and not perpendicular like the ammo cans. This caused me to have to space out the left side a bit to make the case accessible. No issues though, I don't foresee any problems. If anyone else picks up a rack from Nick, and I suggest you do if you want a rack system, I'd use the 1530 Pelican case on the left side. I used the 1430s which give me ~15 liters of storage a piece. With everything that happened, i'd probably have gone with the 1530 on the left and the 1430 on the right but I'm happy with the two top loaders. The rack itself is large enough and solid enough I won't have any issues strapping anything else like fuel tanks and extra bags to the bike on camping trips.

Anyways, pics of the rack!

Triumphantscrambler's original post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post18945001
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #15881
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 110
Laugh

Quote:
Boola

You have a ownership pedigree to die for. The old beezers are some of the most beautiful bike designs ever IMHO.
Thanks! On looks, I always fancied a BSA Spitfire Special, or Hornet . Or a 441 Victor.

Quote:
Boola
Also had a KX250 but was never man enough for the 500.
I can't claim I was - I'd always short-shift the KX500 just before the powerband, it had that much grunt that staying entirely below the p/b was manic enough! Could never manage to leave self-preservation instincts behind in the pit area, so was happy if I just didn't finish last

Quote:
Boola
My scrambler is a tarnished red and white '07.
Cool - Red/White is the sweetest looking IMHO. No other bike I've had has ever gotten so much attention, either stationary or moving. I'll guess you're likely discovering the same.
Heck, last week I even had someone calling 'Hey... Yo... Hello!" as they ran down the street towards, with a camera, to make sure I didn't ride off before they'd gotten a close up look and photo's!

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 04:15 AM
Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #15882
paulter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Scrambler info

I've really enjoyed all the pics and riding info regarding the Scrambler. So much so, that I've got a strong hankering for one to satisfy nostalgic needs, with modern reliability. A couple of questions: I have seen some late model Scramblers advertised with carburetors--I thought they were fuel injected. What year did the transition take place? Also, are they made in England, or elsewhere? Thanks, Walt
paulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #15883
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulter View Post
I've really enjoyed all the pics and riding info regarding the Scrambler. So much so, that I've got a strong hankering for one to satisfy nostalgic needs, with modern reliability. A couple of questions: I have seen some late model Scramblers advertised with carburetors--I thought they were fuel injected. What year did the transition take place? Also, are they made in England, or elsewhere? Thanks, Walt
2006 to 2008 were carby, then fuel injected, my 2006 was made in England

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #15884
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Need some info Please Guys!

Can anyone give me some info on this seat? I've been wanting to fabricate a seat with the length somewhere between the original and a solo. Pictured below is exactly what I want to do. If I could just order one it would make life so much easier.

The bike looks like a Jack Pine but with stock fenders I'm not sure if it is - or is it?

Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #15885
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Laugh It Depends ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulter View Post

It depends on where you are. I think that most of the world got fuel injection on Scramblers in 2008 but the US was a year behind (OK by me) as my '08 has carbs. They went to great lengths to disguise the FI bodies, they really do look like carbs at first glance so that might be some of what you have seen. The bikes run so reliably that I would not be surprized to learn that some owners don't know if their bikes are carbed or injected but that could be a stretch. Manufacturing has transitioned east for some models, my bike was built in Thailand. I don't know if that is why the mirror stalks seem to be fashioned from compressed rust (can't keep them bright) and the wheel spokes attract corrosion or if it was just 'luck of the draw'.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote