User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #1576
NVarmr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks Bross

The further detailing of your experiences with FI helped a lot in settling one concern. Other than pestering the dealer a lot more. Pretty much a matter of making room in the garage and the budget.

And of course all the really hard decisions like color and farkle. At least a few months to dwell on such deep thoughts however.
NVarmr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #1577
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
My blue/white paint w/ blacked out motor is a 2007. Bought new last month(leftover). The blue & white ones are the fastest.
Thanks! Your bike is exactly what I'm looking for...set up the same way I plan to do it. You really should sell that thing. To me.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #1578
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,987
A couple of questions for you Scrambler guys. Where are Scramblers made. I read that 2006 was the last year they were made in England, so where now? What kind of rack and haed luggage options are there? And finally, for those of you who have recently picked up left over 07's, what kind of out the door (tax, fees etc) did you pay? Thanks.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #1579
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
I believe they're now made in Thailand - but mine is an '06. My solution to the luggage problem was inspired by several others here on AdvRider. On their recommendation I bought a Ventura rack & pack system.

Coupled with a tank bag, I think I'm good to go! There's other solutions shown throughout this loooong thread too. I've just been popping around the local hills with mine, some of these guys have taken some awesome journeys on their Scramblers.

Regards, Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #1580
Willow70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How is the finish on your Scrambler?

I stupidly sold my Scrambler about 8 months ago and am now considering getting another as nothing does it for me quite like the Scrambler in regard to looks,pride of ownership and pure enjoyment.
I plan on spending some money on it ,YSS suspension etc and going to use it on fireroads etc.
My question is how is the finish holding up on those bikes that have been used and abused,any common failings?
Secondly,the reason i sold the Scrambler originally was that it was a bit small as i have long legs and it looked and felt as though the bike was too small,any suggestions how to get around this as i really want another one but am concerned i am fallling in love with the idea of it rather than the reality.
Willow70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #1581
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
A couple of questions for you Scrambler guys. Where are Scramblers made. I read that 2006 was the last year they were made in England, so where now?
I don't think that is completely correct, my understanding is that some are made in England and some are made in Thailand. Apparently the reason for moving some assembly to Thailand was a capacity issue in the Hinckley plant. I think they still make some there, they just didn't have the plant capacity to make all of them there along with all the other bikes. Rumor has it that you can tell by the VIN, if there's a J in there toward the end it was made in Hinckley and if there's a T it was made in Thailand. My '07 has a J so that would seem to confirm (if the VIN thing is correct) that they are still making some in Hinckley. Not that it really matters one way or the other.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #1582
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
Wicked scramblin'

Willow70,
Can't speak about the durability of the finish as I've owned mine less than 2 months and only have 2,600 miles on it. As far as the size.....at 6' tall I find mine to be quite comfortable. I've used mine on eveything from 4 lane highways to local dirt roads. I normally ride solo and the riding position allows for forward /aft movement. On a 404 mile ride this past Sunday, I frequently put my feet on the passenger pegs to redistribute my weight. Found it funny to hear a couple of my friends complain about their backsides being numb. They were riding road bikes all of which were 1800cc or larger. I felt great. For a time in my life, I felt that I needed a "big" bike. Have owned some H-D's and a Honda Valkyrie. Came to the personal realization that it was all "in my head". If you have a perception that the bike is too small.......then maybe it is. For me the size of the Scrambler is substantial enough for solo riding. IMO, the only thing about the Scrambler that hurts comfort is the low tech suspension. And the suspension is relatively easy to change.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #1583
scrambled
hillbilly

Laugh ride on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkSlayer
Thanks! Your bike is exactly what I'm looking for...set up the same way I plan to do it. You really should sell that thing. To me.
Not for sale dude ! Get one and I'll join you for a ride.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #1584
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
I don't think that is completely correct, my understanding is that some are made in England and some are made in Thailand. Apparently the reason for moving some assembly to Thailand was a capacity issue in the Hinckley plant. I think they still make some there, they just didn't have the plant capacity to make all of them there along with all the other bikes. Rumor has it that you can tell by the VIN, if there's a J in there toward the end it was made in Hinckley and if there's a T it was made in Thailand. My '07 has a J so that would seem to confirm (if the VIN thing is correct) that they are still making some in Hinckley. Not that it really matters one way or the other.
Oh god, let's please not repeat the controversy that's been going on about this topic over at the rat site. Let's just ride 'em and smile!

http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-tw...umph-made.html

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #1585
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
I don't think that is completely correct, my understanding is that some are made in England and some are made in Thailand.
Assembly was transitioned to the Thai plant in '07.

There were '07s assmbled both at the Thai plant and at Hinkley.

All of the '08 Bonnevilles were assembled in Thailand...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #1586
scrambled
hillbilly

finally got the nerve up

Finally tried a trail. Didn't fall down. Got a little nervous a couple of times when trail got rutted out & greasy but most of it was in pretty good shape. Big fun.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #1587
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Ugh I agree. Those are the most inane and ever so slightly racist threads. That's why I wanted to get it out of the way here when the question came up and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Oh god, let's please not repeat the controversy that's been going on about this topic over at the rat site. Let's just ride 'em and smile!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #1588
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Durability wise, the Scrambler is very good. Mine does quite alot of gravel, dust, and some muddy rides.
A good bash plate (like Thunder Bikes one) will nulify crankcase dinks, and scratches. Extending the fr mudguard stops the muck flying up into the cooler/frame area.
I give it a light water blast down with a oscilating nozzle to remove the heavy muck, and then hand wash. Light spray into the electrics with CRC and job done.
Its hit the deck 3 times, with only light scrathes, and lever damage. (the foot brake lever can bend up an incrediable amount without breaking.
All up, 9/10 for durability, and the engine is strong as an Ox.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #1589
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
A couple of questions for you Scrambler guys. Where are Scramblers made. I read that 2006 was the last year they were made in England, so where now? What kind of rack and haed luggage options are there? And finally, for those of you who have recently picked up left over 07's, what kind of out the door (tax, fees etc) did you pay? Thanks.
My 07 blue and white was $7999 sticker, $530 taxes, $600 setup/shipping. about $9130 total. Yeah I still have my handprints on my ankles, and to think what we started the boston tea party over.

I dropped mine yesterday, broke off the right foot peg but no damage otherwise. The metal broke right at the hinge point, looks die cast. $67 replacement and a week to get the part. No other damage, at least it lasted 300 miles. I am a noob too.

If the VIN thing is true I have a hinckley, not that it matters I still love the bike.

Krahe screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 07:53 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #1590
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
The search for the best compromise continues

I'm due for two new tyres on the scram.

It would be nice to replace them with a matching set if possible (seems unlikely the more I think about it). I've been doing more tar on the scrambler lately and saving my DR650 for the more technical dirt stuff / touring.

Getting a front tyre seems the issue. Ive tried the TKC and its good but drums just a little too much on the tar for my liking. I dislike trail wings.

Has anyone tried a Karoo front?

Whats the next step down from these more dirt focussed front tyres (TKC and Karroo) to more tar oreinted tyres that is available in 19in?

Is there anything for the front that is somewhere between a Distanza/Anakee and a TKC/Karoo

Am I making sense?

Probably not.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote