Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #15886
Checkers
Scrambled

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
... I don't know if that is why the mirror stalks seem to be fashioned from compressed rust (can't keep them bright) and the wheel spokes attract corrosion or if it was just 'luck of the draw'.

Bruce
Slight correction, the mirror stalks are made of special extra heavy weight compressed rust.
Your not alone Bruce. I'm dealing with the same for both mirrors and spokes. Triumph should include a can of Nevr Dull with every Scrambler they sell.
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #15887
paulter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks

I'm in Maine, so we're moving into the mid nineties any day now. Do you think that the Scrambler model has been moved entirely to Thailand, or are some made in England and some in Thailand? Or does it depend on its destination market?
paulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #15888
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
Can anyone give me some info on this seat? I've been wanting to fabricate a seat with the length somewhere between the original and a solo. Pictured below is exactly what I want to do. If I could just order one it would make life so much easier.

The bike looks like a Jack Pine but with stock fenders I'm not sure if it is - or is it?

That is Heretic13's bike over on Triumph Rat. I think he had his seat shortened locally (Las Vegas Nv). No its not a JackPine.

Here is a thread on the bike, and its current look.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk...scrambler.html

Give him a holler.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #15889
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 293
Yep, Heretic's machine is one of the coolest ever. I've been picking his brain whenever possible. He's done particularly well cleaning up his bars, eliminating everything to the basics and also dumping the oil cooler. He's running a Streetmaster oil in frame cooling system.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #15890
Shining
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Sunset on Etrurian coast (Tuscany-Italy), near Bolgheri: good red and white vine

Shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #15891
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
What type of tire is that on the rear???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #15892
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
What type of tire is that on the rear???
Hi tvscum, It's a Mitas Enduro E-07 140/80/17. Very similar pattern to the Heidenhau but a little cheaper.

I'm very happy with them and great value for money.

Regards, Steve
Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #15893
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
That is Heretic13's bike over on Triumph Rat. I think he had his seat shortened locally (Las Vegas Nv). No its not a JackPine.

Give him a holler.
Thank you Maxacceleration ! I read through that RAT thread last night and think I got all the info I need to do my seat conversion :) It would appear that I'm not the only one wanting to go this route.

I lay awake last night planning / devising a few tweaks of my own. Watch this space.

Thank you again, Steve
Old 08-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #15894
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe

Early Spring in the South African Highveld.

So I woke up yesterday morning with the mother of all hangovers! That's the last time I go out partying with my wife!

Sitting at the office yesterday was going to be a waste of time so I jumped on the Bonnie for a 1 night back roads excursion to a remote town 300km away. Got back to the office today at 11h00 and resumed work whilst still in my riding kit.

Life is Good

Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #15895
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulter View Post
I have seen some late model Scramblers advertised with carburetors--I thought they were fuel injected. What year did the transition take place?
EFI rolled out 2008 in UK. 2009 rest of world ( I believe ). The EFI injectors are set in throttle bodies that appear almost exactly like the earlier carburettors to preserve the old-skool look. (A neat idea that Royal Enfield should have adopted for the EFI Bullet).

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #15896
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 293
There's a new installment of the ongoing debate about running engine oil through the frame over on Triumphrat.net. This company offers a kit:
http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html
The product was featured in Cycle World this month. It's pricey.

I won't bore anyone with the whole argument. The OIF kit offers more oil volume and a cleaner look. People who oppose it think the oil cooling radiator is more efficient and it's a lot of money for a cosmetic change.

It does clean up the front end nicely. For me it's a "down the road" priority.

I was wondering if you guys who adventure ride your Scrams have any thoughts pro or con. Maybe one less thing to get hit.

RMAK screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 05:25 PM Reason: Had another of my few and far between thoughts
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #15897
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Oil Cooler Delete

That kit is certainly intriguing but way too pricy for my budget. That price was contingent upon trading in your frame members..... (wheels slowly turning) ....... they must rework them to create the kit ....... have to wonder how much work it would be to make your own kit. I have not gone out in the rain to get a better look at the frame yet, it couldn't be so simple as to add connection fittings and a new pair of hoses...... or could it? Have to check tomorrow.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #15898
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Just a couple of pics from a recent CO trip, for grins:

And one with my bride on her first "off-road" excursion (made me proud, among other things )

The carbs performed fine, even up to 13k feet. I love this bike.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #15899
Rad1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh New member here

For the last 12 years I've ridden a ZRX1200.

I've been tempted by the Scrambler for the last 2 years, though. I've test ridden the bike 6 times now, and I've never wanted to return it to the dealer. Each time I've wanted to load my tent and sleeping bag, and keep riding.

I do need a bike that will slow me down , and the only other bike that I've ever ridden that pleases me as much as the ZRX is the Scrambler.

Your posts and your pictures have only "added fuel to the fire".

On a side note, we all know that there is a severe shortage of good novels that incorporate a motorcycle road trip as a significant part of the main story line. Forgotten Road by bestselling author Randall Arthur is a novel that now attempts to fill this gap. During the last 30 chapters of the book, the main character "walks away from the rat race" and lives day to day on the road, on a modern day Triumph Scrambler. The overall plot is a cliffhanger that everyone will enjoy, men and women alike. The book is already receiving great reviews. Check it out on the author’s website.
Rad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #15900
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
There's a new installment of the ongoing debate about running engine oil through the frame over on Triumphrat.net. This company offers a kit:
http://www.streetmaster.net/oil-cooler.html
The product was featured in Cycle World this month. It's pricey.

I won't bore anyone with the whole argument. The OIF kit offers more oil volume and a cleaner look. People who oppose it think the oil cooling radiator is more efficient and it's a lot of money for a cosmetic change.

It does clean up the front end nicely. For me it's a "down the road" priority.

I was wondering if you guys who adventure ride your Scrams have any thoughts pro or con. Maybe one less thing to get hit.

Some people get confused. The Scrambler is air cooled. A oil cooler is an add to an air cooled motor. An extra chance for that hot oil in that air cooled motor to drop a few degrees.
Water cooling can keep the cylinder at a more constant temp than an air cooled bike. An air cooled cylinder can't.

In the 70's & 80's bikes didn't usually have oil coolers. They were a nice aftermarket add to cool your oil.

Look at Freddie Spencer & Eddie Lawsons old superbikes - massive oil coolers to keep that over stressed oil down to a reasonable temperature (Hopfully!).

I'll go for the extra cooling every time. Finned, and external of the motor or frame. Its solid engineering.

But I don't need to tell you that RMAK, you've been around for a while.

Oh Wes Cooley too. All had huge oil coolers.

BTW, Eddie is my hero.
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 09:19 PM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote