ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #16216
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
satcen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Czech Republic/Greece/Turkey/Macedonia
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
Contacted Alpina UK to ask about these -

Karl told me "The black alpina Tubeless cost £1250 inc UK delivery.... up to 6 weeks delivery time as they are made to order. Or the silver rim, black hubs i have in stock i can do for £1120 inc delivery"

After picking myself off the floor, I sadly realized that I would never have these beautiful wheels on my bike, except in my drunken dreams!!!!

Take a look if you've just won the lottery...... Alpina UK
I´ve got them for approx. 900,-€ both of them (just the tubeless kit: rims + nipples + spokes). Not 100% happy about them caouse the´re still leaking - I have to add air every second week...
__________________
Current bikes: Triumph Scrambler (09-), Honda CBF 250 (06-)
Bike history: Simson 50 Enduro (84-89), MZ 251 ETZ (90-95), Suzuki XF 650 Freewind (97-02), Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord (03-09)
satcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #16217
Manray
Killing Time
 
Manray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.A.
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
I´ve got them for approx. 900,-€ both of them (just the tubeless kit: rims + nipples + spokes). Not 100% happy about them caouse the´re still leaking - I have to add air every second week...
Satcen,

Alpina is saying that leaks are a result of customers not installing spokes and nipples properly when using their own hubs. As for complete wheel sets built from the factory (hubs, rims, nipples, spokes), they are not experiencing any leakage issues.

Just wondering, do you agree or disagree with what Alpina is reporting?
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #16218
Manray
Killing Time
 
Manray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.A.
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
Is that $1,600 each, or for the pair?
For the pair.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #16219
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
satcen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Czech Republic/Greece/Turkey/Macedonia
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Satcen,

Alpina is saying that leaks are a result of customers not installing spokes and nipples properly when using their own hubs. As for complete wheel sets built from the factory (hubs, rims, nipples, spokes), they are not experiencing any leakage issues.
Just wondering, do you agree or disagree with what Alpina is reporting?
Since Alpina is selling this item as a "Tubeless Kit" I´d rather suppose it has to be 99,9% airtight. Otherwise it should be called "Semi-tubeless Kit", shouldn´it? Just using my common sense... Anyway I like them and IMHO they are worth some extra inflating. I just hope it gets not worse (have just some 8.000 km on bot on and off roads).
__________________
Current bikes: Triumph Scrambler (09-), Honda CBF 250 (06-)
Bike history: Simson 50 Enduro (84-89), MZ 251 ETZ (90-95), Suzuki XF 650 Freewind (97-02), Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord (03-09)
satcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #16220
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer
 
henryII's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sandefjord, Norse
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Satcen,

Alpina is saying that leaks are a result of customers not installing spokes and nipples properly when using their own hubs. As for complete wheel sets built from the factory (hubs, rims, nipples, spokes), they are not experiencing any leakage issues.

Just wondering, do you agree or disagree with what Alpina is reporting?
A friend ride with factory Alpina on his Bonneville. His rear startes to leak visning us in july. We had the rear off but we found no hole in the tyre. The leak had to be from the spokes. Since he live in Italy the quick fix was a tube:-) so he went home with a Alpina tubeless with a tube:-)
__________________
________________________________________

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/





[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #16221
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger
 
ajsimmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: UK, Devon
Oddometer: 83
Wicked

From what you guys have said, I think I'm gonna think of something else.

£1250 for a couple of wheels, (no matter how beautiful) is ridiculous.

Thinkng about it, thats about 20% of the cost of a new bike!!!

I think I'll look at Excel rims with Talon hubs, a local company in Yeovil does them and I'm now awaiting their prices.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #16222
Beach Scrambler
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
From what you guys have said, I think I'm gonna think of something else.

£1250 for a couple of wheels, (no matter how beautiful) is ridiculous.

Thinkng about it, thats about 20% of the cost of a new bike!!!

I think I'll look at Excel rims with Talon hubs, a local company in Yeovil does them and I'm now awaiting their prices.
I looked at the Scrambler Alpina rims - thing that put me off is the spokes are not stainless. Alpina do have stainless spokes in their product range but for some reason use carbon steel on the scrambler wheels. I ended up going for Excel rims , stainless spokes and stainless nipples. The wheels are being built at the moment.
Beach Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #16223
Manray
Killing Time
 
Manray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.A.
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
From what you guys have said, I think I'm gonna think of something else.

£1250 for a couple of wheels, (no matter how beautiful) is ridiculous.

Thinkng about it, thats about 20% of the cost of a new bike!!!

I think I'll look at Excel rims with Talon hubs, a local company in Yeovil does them and I'm now awaiting their prices

When I inquired, wheel builder told me Excel rims were not available with 40 holes in the UK. Thus the rear Talon would have to be laced to a Behr rim.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #16224
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger
 
ajsimmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: UK, Devon
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
What is it about the Scrambler that makes me want it more than any other motorcycle in production? I love that bike. I have tested 2 of them but have not bought one yet.

I think they are absolutely beautiful.
Anarchist,

You've got to do it, you know you want to!

You'll not regret it and you'll have a bunch of fun.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #16225
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger
 
ajsimmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: UK, Devon
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Scrambler View Post
I looked at the Scrambler Alpina rims - thing that put me off is the spokes are not stainless. Alpina do have stainless spokes in their product range but for some reason use carbon steel on the scrambler wheels. I ended up going for Excel rims , stainless spokes and stainless nipples. The wheels are being built at the moment.
Beach,

I look forward to seeing them installed and getting some of your feedback.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #16226
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvscum's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
When I inquired, wheel builder told me Excel rims were not available with 40 holes in the UK. Thus the rear Talon would have to be laced to a Behr rim.
I was told the Excel rims were not available in black for the Scrambler, at least in the USA.

These guys will take your stock hubs and put them in tubed Sun rims in black, I believe:

http://www.buchananspokes.net/
__________________
Current: 2012 Triumph Scrambler;
'97 Honda XR440 (plated)
Past: '83 Honda XR500; '84 Honda XL600;
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 01:54 PM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #16227
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvscum's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 119
New photos of my scram

Finally took some new photos of my 2012 Scram. Still waiting for some black levers in the mail.











__________________
Current: 2012 Triumph Scrambler;
'97 Honda XR440 (plated)
Past: '83 Honda XR500; '84 Honda XL600;
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #16228
Manray
Killing Time
 
Manray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: N.A.
Oddometer: 126


Tvscum, well setup Scrambler! Thanks to your terrific front fork write-up, I have a set of Bitubo front fork cartridges awaiting installation. One question, since you didn't use new copper washers under the damper rod bolts, have you experienced any leakage?
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #16229
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvscum's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post

Tvscum, well setup Scrambler! Thanks to your terrific front fork write-up, I have a set of Bitubo front fork cartridges awaiting installation. One question, since you didn't use new copper washers under the damper rod bolts, have you experienced any leakage?
No leakage at all. I did use blue loctite on those bottom bolts. The writeup Manray is referring to is here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...th-photos.html
__________________
Current: 2012 Triumph Scrambler;
'97 Honda XR440 (plated)
Past: '83 Honda XR500; '84 Honda XL600;
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #16230
Checkers
Scrambled
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Oddometer: 8
tvscum

Nice looking scram. I like your suspension mods and the pivot pegs. What turn indicators are you running?
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014