Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #16261
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 938
My 865/270 has the OEM CV carbs with advanced tuning mods & it runs great. That said, if given a choice between optimally tuned CV carbs & optimally mapped EFI, I personally would choose EFI.

Given that any bike that I have at any given time never stays stock for very long, I'm not personally concerned if an OEM EFI bike is not optimally mapped from the factory.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #16262
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
No leakage at all. I did use blue loctite on those bottom bolts. The writeup Manray is referring to is here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...th-photos.html
Hi Tvscum,

Installed my Bitubo fork cartridges this weekend. Do you happen to remember how much Sikolene fork oil you needed to use to fill to 145mm from the top of the outer fork tube? I used 600 ml from the 1 Litre bottle; 300 ml for each fork tube. Can anyone else who has installed the Bitubo's confirm? Thanks.

Manray screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 05:07 AM
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #16263
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by frichtie View Post
I suppose you've all seen this....but just in case:http://youtu.be/oAliBMah-0I

Eric
What an awesome vid
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #16264
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Hi Tvscum,

Installed my Bitubo fork cartridges this weekend. Do you happen to remember how much Sikolene fork oil you needed to use to fill to 145mm from the top of the outer fork tube? I used 600 ml from the 1 Litre bottle; 300 ml for each fork tube. Can anyone else who has installed the Bitubo's confirm? Thanks.
Not sure how many ml of oil I used. But you can simply compress the forks and you'll find the top of the installed cartridge is just about 145mm from the top of the compressed upper tube. Measure it with a ruler if you like. Just fill up the fork until the oil leven comes to the top of the cartridge.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #16265
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Baja lobster run

There are a couple shots of my Scram in this version of the Baja lobster run. This video was shot by another San Diego Adventure Rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcKGlsyMr8
'86 Yamaha XT350
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #16266
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
There are a couple shots of my Scram in this version of the Baja lobster run. This video was shot by another San Diego Adventure Rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcKGlsyMr8
Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #16267
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
hell yea tv...that was great!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #16268
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Nice tv, yes looks like fun. The food there is good!
But the Scrambler is the worst possible bike I can imagine taking to Mexico off-pavement.
I don't care how deluxe the Scrambler stock based suspension is set-up...
It sucks.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #16269
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Scrambler in Brazil - lady rider - lowering and heat reduction options

Hi everyone, greetings from São Paulo, Brazil! This is my first post and I´d like to talk about 3 things...

I am a 5"3 lady rider, and I just bought a 2006 Scrambler in white and blue. It came with the Arrow 2 in 1 and every possible factory accessory, thanks to the previous owner, a collector, who only rode 2.000 miles!

So far I rode about 200 miles in highways and city traffic, and I liked the performance, comfort and handling. My other bike is a factory lowered BMW F650 GS, and the seat is a bit lower (and more uncomfortable) than the Scrambler. The BMW fuel tank is under the seat, so I never had a problem getting the bike off the kickstand with the weight concentrated at the bottom. Now with the Scrambler, sometimes when it is I filled up I have trouble getting it straight off the kickstand because of the excessive lean and added weight! And I have to me more careful when manouvering, because I don´t have both feet planted.

Lowering -> So I am considering a little height reduction. The front fork can be lowered about 2 cm, but then ideally I would have to lower the shocks. At the moment is in the 3rd softest position. So what you think is the best solution for a shorter shock? Perhaps something that will also improve performance. I don´t want to go off road (yet!), but the streets here are bad enough.

Heat -> The factory pipes before joining the stainless steel of the Arrow pipe get hot!! Temperatures here are usually above 25 C / 75 F. What are the pros and cons of wrapping part of the pipe? Any other solution?

Luggage -> I want to add some type of side handles so I can attach my Wolfman Expedition bag. The bike has a number board and bracket on the left side, but no bracket on the right side - anyone with the Arrow 2 in 1 has the number board bracket on the right side? I might need to ask the previous owner if he had it before installing the Arrow!

Well, enough questions... looking forward to your input! FYI, Triumph is now assembling bikes in Brazil (CKD), and the first models "manufactured" here are the Tiger XC and Bonneville T100. The first store opens November 10. I hope the Scrambler will also be in the line up soon (but I prefer mine with carbs!!)

Rosa
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #16270
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Scram' For Sale (UK)

Well... the day has finally arrived and... she's gotta go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAUTIFULL...item337d3fb350

Gutted as I am to lose her, the hassle and expense of importing a bike into the US just doesn't make sense, so I need to put my emotions to one side and... get busy building a new one!

ADV special price is £5k. UK Inmates who may be interested can PM me - no need to go through Ebay.

Now back to searching for a US salvage bike to create the ultimate 'K-ADV (Kriega Adventure) Scrambler'... eeerm.. I mean, 'back to work'! Yeah, that's is, work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Further to the post above, I am sad to say that it’s looking like my beloved Scrambler and I must go our separate ways. I only got her a while back and it feels like I spent more time tarting her up than in the saddle. We had some superb rides together, however, the real journeys were meant to start in earnest this year.

But life has a funny way of happening while you're making other plans. I’m still going to see if I can find a way around it, but if anyone on here can offer her a good home, I might have to surrender to the man on this one.

So, courtesy of US Customs, here is my 2006 (carb’d) Triumph Scrambler up for sale:

Tech Spec:
Exhaust: Stacked Supertrapp Megaphones (brushed finish)
Exhaust: Zorstec custom-made headers
Heat wrap: Highway Hawk (grey)
Shocks: Hagon 2810 370mm (black)
Fork springs: Hagon Progressive
AI removal kit: Norman Hyde
Air filter: Unifilter
Oil filter: K&N
Rims: Powder coated (satin black)
Tyres: Metzeler Tourance
Bars: Meffo Star Bar flattrack (satin black)
Grips: Classic GT style
Master cylinder: Triumph (black anodized)
Brake lines: Hel Performance braided (black)
Brake pads: EBC sintered
Brake discs: EBC fully floating front & EBC steel rear
Seat: Burton Classic Bonneville
Headlamp grill: Triumph (black powder coated)
Headlamp bulb: Phillips Xenon
Flyscreen: Triumph (white)
Filler cap: Triumph locking
Indicators: Motrax minis
Tail light: New Bonneville Lucas (brushed finish)
Engine bars: Triumph (black)
Bash plate:
Triumph
Rear sprocket: Renthal (black anodized)
Chain: Renthal X-ring (gold)
Sprocket cover: Triumph (drilled, black)
Rack: Renntec (black)
Reg plate: 7” custom
Idiot lights: New Bonneville LED conversion
Dyno: Jordan Bikes (Leeds)

I spent a fair bit of time and consideration (obsession maybe) on this machine - those Supertapps are pretty unique and were a bitch to source / fit. About the only thing I had left to do was a get a better heatguard laser-cut for the pipes. I wanted to keep this bike until I ran her into the ground, but there you go…

There’s well over £2,000 worth of kit on a bike that cost me £4,200 (one previous owner who never really used her). Now she [shamefully] only has 8,800 miles (I’ve been in the US a lot recently) on the clock, and is MOT’d etc. She’s been used, but never abused, looks stunning and is completely dependable. One or two minor scuffs, but they suit her (all Scrams should have a couple of battle scars). The thing sounds truly incredible and rides like a dream (did I mention the ground down hero blobs?).

Yours for £5,200, with all the hard work done.

…Oh, and you get all standard parts too (even TORS instead of the OE pipes).

Plus a British Customs FEK and Triumph perspex sprocket cover, which I decided I didn’t like the look of (each to their own) and switched out.

Might even throw in a set of Kriega (more on this later too) luggage as well.

She could be put back to standard (although the fugly OEM rear light assembly might not look quite right any more because I drilled the fender for the new tail light and indicators), but that would just be wrong.

P.S. I may yet freak out about selling her and try to find a way to ship it via the backdoor, but money talks and – if there’s no way around it - I guess I can always start again once I get there.

That said, if anyone knows who how to get a UK bike imported to the US without all the BS, please do let me know! For starters, I’m going to contact Triumph and see if the EU bikes are built to the same spec as the US ones…

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:23 AM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #16271
gumpt100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post

Lowering -> So I am considering a little height reduction. The front fork can be lowered about 2 cm, but then ideally I would have to lower the shocks. At the moment is in the 3rd softest position. So what you think is the best solution for a shorter shock? Perhaps something that will also improve performance. I don´t want to go off road (yet!), but the streets here are bad enough.

Rosa
Hi Rosa, you could fit a pair of Bonneville rear shocks to lower the bike. The Bonneville shocks are 25mm shorter than the Scrambler shocks.

Steve
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #16272
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpt100 View Post
Hi Rosa, you could fit a pair of Bonneville rear shocks to lower the bike. The Bonneville shocks are 25mm shorter than the Scrambler shocks.

Steve
I agree with my buddy Steve that Bonneville lenght shocks work for lowering, but if you want improved suspension look at an upgrade. Hagon makes fairly inexpensive shocks that are better than the stockers, for example.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #16273
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Nice tv, yes looks like fun. The food there is good!
But the Scrambler is the worst possible bike I can imagine taking to Mexico off-pavement.
I don't care how deluxe the Scrambler stock based suspension is set-up...
It sucks.
Yes indeed. I was sweating my ass off navigating that rocky, off-road terrain between Tecate and Puerto Nuevo. I much prefer mellow fire roads.
'86 Yamaha XT350
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #16274
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
Rosa
By lowering the suspension, do you mean to reduce the travel? Keep in mind this bike only has about 4 inches of travel in the front and about 3 inches in the rear. You might consider upgrading the suspension instead.
'86 Yamaha XT350
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #16275
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351134331.623397.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  168.1 KB

Contemplating trading my 2012 Bonnie for a scrambler.

A little terrified it's one of those 'sounds good now gonna regret like hell later' ideas....