Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #16291
Blinky03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Mountain Tiger - the screen is a GIVI but I'm not sure of the model as I picked it up on a New Zealand internet trade site - it was a good size for this trip, made a huge difference on the really cold sections and had little or no effect on fuel economy - only problem was I couldnt fit bark busters as well as the screen - as it worked out I only had a couple of spills in the deep sand and fortunatley no damage to levers or bars - I agree with your comments about Triumph build, the engine is bullet proof (4L of Oil is a big plus in my book) and with simple mods the Scrambler is a great Tourer with a genuine Old School feel - I will be hanging on to mine for a few more years - Happy Trails
Blinky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #16292
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,017
Blinky03

Looking forward to the RR
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #16293
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishgriff View Post
I sold my (very) well-travelled 2002 650 Dakar for a good price and bought a 2013 scrambler. I was riding it home, pulled over for gas, and it wouldn't start :-( the engine malfunction light was on and the computer kept the starter from kicking.

Anyone had this happen? The dealer towed it and is fixing it under warranty. But I wanted to ride this bike to panama and I need a reliable bike. I rode the Dakar through Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa, as well Denver to Ushuaia. It had its issues (underpowered charging system, bad water pumps, etc). But it got me there.

Just looking for some reassurance in triumph's reliability. Also, all bikes have weaknesses like the dakar's water pump. What's the one part you need to carry on a long trip for the scrambler?

Thanks.

I've had this happen to me three times on my '09 Scrambler. The last time was yesterday. Rode ten or fifteen miles, made several stops. The last one the bike sat for about an hour. Went to go home and the damn thing would not turn over. Bright head light, but nothing when I hit the starter.
When it happened before, the dealers only cure was to sell me a new battery. This battery is only six months old and seems to have full charge.
While I love this bike, I will not ride it farther than walking distance from home.
Please let me know what your dealer comes up with for a fix.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #16294
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
I've had 2 modern triumphs. I had a leaky head gasket on my 07' once. She cut out on the hwy once. Turned out to be an electrical connector that was loose came unplugged when I hit a bump. Took me an hour to figure it out. Plugged it back in, taped it when I got home. Put 20,000 miles on that one.
My 12' was brand new, only 3k miles on her currently with zero issue.
I've had 21 motorcycles and triumphs have been just as if not more reliable than any of the japanese ones I've had.

Don't get me started on my ktm.....

I think blinkys post above is just one of countless stories of owners having full faith in their triumphs.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #16295
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 112
I've had zero show stopper problems while journeying on my 08 EFI, from new, with now over 14000 miles. None.

At home on two occasions after standing about a week then starting from cold (one time last year, one time yesterday) headlight and fuel pump have run when key turned but just a relay 'click' on pressing start button. As yesterday was first cold night of fall here, with a significant drop in night temparatures, I now know this is down to the battery and have ordered replacement. Last year may have been same circumstance and I'd have put it on the tender after that, therefore just the one time last year. Current battery is the original from new in 08.

An IA that I didn't think of yesterday would have been to pull the headlight fuse and try again. As the motor car was alongside on the driveway, I just switched and drive to the range in that as I didn't want to turn up late. If the 'click' had happened away from home, maybe in a motel parking lot or in the field, after a cold night, I'd have had the time to think through and would have pulled the fuse to give the ageing battery an easier cold start.

I'd be confident in mine to undertake a long tour anytime.

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #16296
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
No problems on over 6500 miles on my 12 EFI.

I even drowned my crankcase on a river crossing - other than having to change the oil, no issues.

I commute 120 miles a day rain, cold, or shine.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #16297
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Talking scrambler handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Is anyone using aluminum hand guards with the plastic wind deflectors? What brand will fit the Scrambler? I haven't taken delivery of my new bike yet so I don't know what special installation proceedures will be needed with the bar ends in mind.
Hey i fitted some handguards on recently that do the job from busters in the uk http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...catRef=BRG03BK ther fit easily enough with no mods
specnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #16298
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
It may end up looking like this.

Good route to go. To note is the accessory centerstand will rattle and shake on every bump/seam/washboard. Its junk, but it works.
Sometimes I forget about mine and sometimes it drives me crazy.
You can putt down a quiet dirt lane and all you hear is that damn noisy centerstand.
I keep it though for on the road adjustments. Working to rubber mount it.

Other than that,

NICE im loving that one! where did you get the rear light cluster and indicators?
and the black headlight guard?
specnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #16299
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 344
Could be this one:
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/lu...ail_light.html

ClineDesign screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:27 PM
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #16300
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Leather saddlebag attached to number board! + Lowering suspension with Bonnie shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
I agree with my buddy Steve that Bonneville lenght shocks work for lowering, but if you want improved suspension look at an upgrade. Hagon makes fairly inexpensive shocks that are better than the stockers, for example.
I contacted Hagon, but it is too expensive to ship to Brazil. So I am considering getting a pair of used Bonnie factory shocks - anyone??

I went to my see my friend who does custom stuff for Harleys, and saw some nice leather saddlebags for sale. Managed to fit this one perfectly using the left number boar support and standard seat support bars! I can carry my Macbook Air, rain gear and more!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38590657@N02/8132360591/
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #16301
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by specnoodle View Post

NICE im loving that one! where did you get the rear light cluster and indicators?
and the black headlight guard?
Yup New Bonneville 'Running Lights' in this case (they have various versions). You can have the running lights wired out if you don't want your turn signals always lit.
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/ru...light_kit.html

Put a led bulb in for a brighter tail light.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #16302
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Well... the day has finally arrived and... she's gotta go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAUTIFULL...item337d3fb350

Gutted as I am to lose her, the hassle and expense of importing a bike into the US just doesn't make sense, so I need to put my emotions to one side and... get busy building a new one!

ADV special price is £5k. UK Inmates who may be interested can PM me - no need to go through Ebay.

Now back to searching for a US salvage bike to create the ultimate 'K-ADV (Kriega Adventure) Scrambler'... eeerm.. I mean, 'back to work'! Yeah, that's is, work.
PM sent
Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #16303
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Trade my Staintunes for your Arrow

Anyone out there interested in trading their Arrow High Exhaust for my Staintunes plus some cash?
They have about 2k miles on them, I also have a set of TORS and a set of Stock Exhausts.
I'm located in North Georgia.
Thanks!
1982 Montesa Cota 349
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #16304
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCafe View Post
Anyone out there interested in trading their Arrow High Exhaust for my Staintunes plus some cash?
They have about 2k miles on them, I also have a set of TORS and a set of Stock Exhausts.
I'm located in North Georgia.
Thanks!
How did you find the Staintunes verus the TOR's I've tried the stock mufflers & TOR's looking to get Staintunes...whats your thoughts ?

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #16305
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwine View Post
PM sent
Received and replied!

BritKit LLC