Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #16471
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Firstly, I owned a Scram for 2 years and 15000 miles between 2009~2011. I got it dirty loaded up...

And then washed it...

And let it dry...

It will do it all but not in any sort of comfort IMO. I found it beat me to death every ride because of its short suspension. I traded for a Tiger800XC in June 2011 and it's so, SO much better at everything. So, at the risk of upsetting the hardened Scram owners, you need to trade the Scram and your current Tiger and get the 800XC. It really does do it all. It copes with this sort of stuff...

Even with luggage...

And do 400+ mile days in comfort.
Or you could keep the Scarmbler AND buy a 800XC, works for me
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #16472
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Firstly, I owned a Scram for 2 years and 15000 miles between 2009~2011. I got it dirty loaded up... and it's so, SO much better at everything. .
Welcome Tiger, it´s nice to have you back. You´ve missed one thing: XC 800 looks like a 21st century UFO, not like H.M. MOTORCYCLE ... but I agree with all you mentioned. On the other hand - adding comfort, weather protection, suspension, load, speed ... you loose great part of "scramblering". TIGER 800 is great consumer product, Scrambler is not. It is too "radical" for it. Two different conceptions for different audience. I like both of them but I want just the ONE.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #16473
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
Hi Damas, I don't understand what you're saying above but:
- I have a Scrambler and the heat of the exhaust has never be an issue for the legs. But I never rode it in shorts. Whith a thik jeans or leather pants it's ok.
- for the luggage, you've got many solutions. The Ventura pack rack is for me one off the most beautiful as when no luggage the bike seems stock. You can also throw soft luggage on the seat and use the Triumph number plate to protect from heat.

I have test ridden the Scrambler and the Bonnie T100. I love much more the motor off the Scram as in low RPM he's like a Thumper or a little like a little HD Vtwin. I feel the Bonnie more electrical. But it is my feeling, each one has to made is own opinion.
Amigo you miss my first post, BUT you answer it PLENTY!!! I was worry about the exhaust been to close to my legs and my passenger's. I do not intend to go to Alaska on it, just a 200-300 mile day ride 2-4 a year 2 up, and rides every other Sunday solo. I have seen the OEM accesories and they have all I want or need.

Were I live is not very hot and 30 C is top temperature for a summer day, but I don't ride much in traffic since my work involves a little hwy, so it would be good even then.

Thanks to all!!

Damasovi
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #16474
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
Well...I have an '06 Scrambler that I'm sellin to my son. I'm considering either buying a used black EFI Scrambler or a new matte gray one with Arrow already installed. My question is this: How may of you ride the Scrambler as your only bike? I also have an '09 Tiger that I'm consdering trading in. The Tiger does just about everything but not so great on dirt roads. I mainly ride backroads paved & dirt with a couple longer trips each year. Not sure if Scrambler will do it all? Any feedback?
I have an 06 Scrambler along with a GS and a few other bikes. But I could and would always choose the Scrambler as my only bike. On weekend rides I generally go to the Scrambler even if I'm riding with a fast mountain road group, it's just so much more fun and effortless to ride for me.
2013 Ural T - "Death Proof Duck" Edition
1982 Montesa Cota 349, 1974 Yamaha TY 250 & 1974 TY 80
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #16475
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Thanks for all the great comments...now I have to wheel & deal. If I put something together I'll post a pic of my new ride. Otherwise I'm keeping the 06 Scrambler and going bike hunting with my son when he comes home on leave. Either way it will be fun. Still have some riding to do here in Upstate NY. The info you all gave was priceless. We all have different preferences for sure. The Scrambler ALWAYS puts a smile on our faces though it seems.
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #16476
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Firstly, I owned a Scram for 2 years and 15000 miles between 2009~2011. I got it dirty loaded up...

It will do it all but not in any sort of comfort IMO. I found it beat me to death every ride because of its short suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
Welcome Tiger, it´s nice to have you back. You´ve missed one thing: XC 800 looks like a 21st century UFO, not like H.M. MOTORCYCLE ... but I agree with all you mentioned. On the other hand - adding comfort, weather protection, suspension, load, speed ... you loose great part of "scramblering". TIGER 800 is great consumer product, Scrambler is not. It is too "radical" for it. Two different conceptions for different audience. I like both of them but I want just the ONE.
Two great viewpoints. And I suppose it depends on how YOU want to LOOK.
You are gonna look tired everytime after a weekend (or more) of living the 'adv life' on a Scrambler. You pay to look so Steve McQueen cool. But you do look cool.

The Triumph XC, a beemer or a KTM will take you farther back in, quicker, easier, more comfortable all while carrying more gear.
And really you will look more like a true adventurer than trying to pull it off on your Scrambler.
But sure you can do it. Some say what a breeze it is. I did for a while.
If you do, relax! Take your time and tell your buddies to wait at the Y's in the road.
Try to remember to stand on the bump you hit, and then bottom out, which will jamb your spine up to your ears... Ask me how I know.
I have gone to motel style travel (or staying at friends) on my Scrambler. Using a tank & light tail bag. I keep it to fire roads or logging roads and twisties!
Its much better at that.

With that said I have been to some cool places on the Scrambler.
Its a decent bike to relax and enjoy a good ride - a modern classic. And easy to dress up in your style.

IMO it travels best like this... light.

But if you like it, just go for it!

Sorry for the same old pictures...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #16477
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
You are gonna look tired everytime after a weekend (or more) of living the 'adv life' on a Scrambler. You pay to look so Steve McQueen cool. But you do look cool.

The Triumph XC, a beemer or a KTM will take you farther back in, quicker, easier, more comfortable all while carrying more gear.
And really you will look more like a true adventurer than trying to pull it off on your Scrambler.
If you do, relax! Take your time and tell your buddies to wait at the Y's in the road.
Try to remember to stand on the bump you hit, and then bottom out, which will jamb your spine up to your ears... Ask me how I know.
I have gone to motel style travel (or staying at friends) on my Scrambler. Using a tank & light tail bag. I keep it to fire roads or logging roads and twisties!
Its much better at that.

Its a decent bike to relax and enjoy a good ride - a modern classic. And easy to dress up in your style.

Well concluded
I have today a Scrambler and a Explorer. I have done about 50 000 km on the classic series, halv off them on a Thruxton and the rest on the Scrambler. Between this two the Scrambler is more fun in my opinion. The Explorer
is not the Cool Mcqueen biker choice but it will open for longer distance than the Scrambler. The next season will
be a test of bike and man down to the alps and up the eastern Europa, before a planned Africa trip in 2014.

The Scrambler smash the Explorer or XC when it comes to good looking. It is just how a motorcycle should look in my eyes, but I am getting to old to get beat up on my next 50000 km :-) I will not use the Scramb on longer trips due to that and agree with Max that it deserve a small bag and twisty roads.

Here is a pic from last summer, today the temp outside is -13 celsius and no riding for a while .

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #16478
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:

And then washed it...

And let it dry...

It will do it all but not in any sort of comfort IMO. I found it beat me to death every ride because of its short suspension. I traded for a Tiger800XC in June 2011 and it's so, SO much better at everything. So, at the risk of upsetting the hardened Scram owners, you need to trade the Scram and your current Tiger and get the 800XC. It really does do it all. It copes with this sort of stuff...

Even with luggage...

And do 400+ mile days in comfort.
Love the XC 800 but it just hasn't got the feel of the scrambler,had mine for 3 yrs gone anywheremy mates dirt squirts have gone just a little bit slower.
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #16479
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post

Its much better at that.

IMO it travels best like this... light.

Wish I could work out how to post picsread this whole thread and love your pics Max
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #16480
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicaveman View Post
Wish I could work out how to post picsread this whole thread and love your pics Max
Thanks kiwiman.
Many good pics & videos in this fine Scrambler thread. Hats off to all present & past.

For posting pics just set up a free Photobucket account, add some pics to it then click and copy an image and paste into your post here.
Lets see what you got!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #16481
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question handguards??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer View Post
Any after market honda CRF/CR/XR folding shifter should work IIRC. However, if you purchase one for a 50cc, get the longer length. I ordered one from ebay for a Honda CRF/XR 100 /230. It works great.

I bought a foot of heater hose from the auto parts place and cut the appropriate length to slip over the knurled end so it wouldn't tear up my leather boots. You can see it in this picture.

Heyy i could somebody lend a hand and tell me what handguards are on this bike??
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #16482
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
On to spark

After chasing fueling and reaching a dead end, I am now headed to spark.
As in there is no spark.
Upon endless surfing and drowning I believe my problems are in the coil pickup arena.
I have current to the coils when testing the ignition on. I believe that there must be a signal sent to the coils from the crank. Should I check the Pickup coil first or should I be looking at another electrical componant.
Can someone tell me what I should be looking for while bike is cranking over at the coils.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #16483
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by specnoodle View Post
Heyy i could somebody lend a hand and tell me what handguards are on this bike??

They're Zeta Racing handguards (straight) with Moose Racing Contour Deflector shields. I'm using them on aftermarket handlebars (Pro-Taper ATV mid SE) though. You'd have to get a little creative with the bar end to use them on the factory handlebars.

The Moose shields are great for cold weather riding. They keep a good bit of wind off your hands.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #16484
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
After chasing fueling and reaching a dead end, I am now headed to spark.
As in there is no spark.
Upon endless surfing and drowning I believe my problems are in the coil pickup arena.
I have current to the coils when testing the ignition on. I believe that there must be a signal sent to the coils from the crank. Should I check the Pickup coil first or should I be looking at another electrical componant.
Can someone tell me what I should be looking for while bike is cranking over at the coils.
Sounds like we've had some similar headaches. The thread below relates to spark problems I had early this season. It may help you a little.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781512
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #16485
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer View Post
They're Zeta Racing handguards (straight) with Moose Racing Contour Deflector shields. I'm using them on aftermarket handlebars (Pro-Taper ATV mid SE) though. You'd have to get a little creative with the bar end to use them on the factory handlebars.

The Moose shields are great for cold weather riding. They keep a good bit of wind off your hands.
thanks man! my handguards dont keep much weather off my hands. thats what you got for cheaapo stuff!