Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #16636
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Great, which one?
Went with the one from http://roadstercycle.com/. You'll have to modify it just a little if you want to place it in the stock location, since its a little narrower, and a little taller than the OEM one, but looks ok enough. There might be able to find a better place to put it, but I wanted to ride today while it was still nice out so I hurried the job a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
My Scram has had this problem since new (2010). It seems to be temperature related. The battery will hold its charge for weeks without use in warm weather (say +20 deg c) but loses it over night in cold weather. I havent found a practical solution yet other than putting it in a shed overnight in winter, or putting a trickle charger on it.
Ya know, when it lost that .5V in those 6 hours, it was around freezing here. When the weather's nice it has usually been better. Tuesday should have a high of 23 deg F so we'll see if it'll start then, and how well it holds.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #16637
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Man View Post
Sorry Grani---, but the dual headlite setup does nothing for the Scramblers looks.u
+1

Everyone's tastes are different, but a big reason most of us are drawn to the Scrambler are it's old English bike styling. I dont drive much at night, but I'd like to improve the bike's headlight by installing a 7" bucket with a brighter bulb and improved reflector. This would retain the styling and improve lighting.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #16638
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Why is it that every time I say "I'm gonna paint my heat shields black", I go to the store, find the can of high temp paint, but can never bring myself to buy it?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #16639
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Why is it that every time I say "I'm gonna paint my heat shields black", I go to the store, find the can of high temp paint, but can never bring myself to buy it?
Mebbe cuz, er, they look nice the way they are?

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #16640
vonfink13
2013 Scrambler

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
personally..i think they look awesome black...but for me..i gotta do the mufflers too...dont like the chrome peeking out behind the shields...if i end up not liking em in black..there are always a set or two on ebay or i will just have to get me some arrows.....mine are getting sandblasted this week and powdercoated next week...
vonfink13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #16641
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Decided to do a bafflectomy today. When I did my ride yesterday, I noticed that the sound of the wind noise was louder than the sound of my bike. I don't necessarily believe in the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mentality, but I should at least be able to hear my own bike. Especially when the only gauge on that bike is a speedometer. How can I tell if there's something wrong with my bike if I can't hear how it runs?

Ok, so it might look a little bit cleaner if the baffles stay in...

...but it sounds a little bit throatier with them removed. Less like a sewing machine and more like a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfink13 View Post
personally..i think they look awesome black...but for me..i gotta do the mufflers too...dont like the chrome peeking out behind the shields...if i end up not liking em in black..there are always a set or two on ebay or i will just have to get me some arrows.....mine are getting sandblasted this week and powdercoated next week...
On some of the older scramblers, the two-toned ones with the silver engine cases, I like the chrome pipes. On the single colored ones, with the black cases, I almost think the chrome is a little too much, and that the blackened shields would tone it down a little. I actually do like the chrome peeking through. I think it gives it a little contrast, but without being overwhelming.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #16642
vonfink13
2013 Scrambler

Quote:
Decided to do a bafflectomy today. When I did my ride yesterday, I noticed that the sound of the wind noise was louder than the sound of my bike. I don't necessarily believe in the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mentality, but I should at least be able to hear my own bike. Especially when the only gauge on that bike is a speedometer. How can I tell if there's something wrong with my bike if I can't hear how it runs?

Ok, so it might look a little bit cleaner if the baffles stay in...

...but it sounds a little bit throatier with them removed. Less like a sewing machine and more like a motorcycle.

On some of the older scramblers, the two-toned ones with the silver engine cases, I like the chrome pipes. On the single colored ones, with the black cases, I almost think the chrome is a little too much, and that the blackened shields would tone it down a little. I actually do like the chrome peeking through. I think it gives it a little contrast, but without being overwhelming.
to each his own...that is what makes all this stuff so much fun...every person puts a bit of their personality into their bike...its all good...one thing we can definitely agree on is that those pipes sound awesome once you get those baffles out...great video...thanks for posting it...
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #16643
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Have to agree on there being a little too much chrome...
I have the two-tone white/red with black engine. Love the pipes in chrome but figured that, on aggregate (tail lamp shell, indicators, exhausts), there was a bit too much chrome on the pretty side for my taste. Replacing the stock front and rear indicators with smaller black ones reduced it enough for me - whilst leaving the exhausts as the 'main feature' chrome-wise. SUbsequently fitted black mirrors too and found the overall chrome tally pretty much spot on for me.

Hey - we all like 'em a little different - that's part of the mighty fine fun of it all.

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #16644
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
Have to agree on there being a little too much chrome...
I have the two-tone white/red with black engine. Love the pipes in chrome but figured that, on aggregate (tail lamp shell, indicators, exhausts), there was a bit too much chrome on the pretty side for my taste. Replacing the stock front and rear indicators with smaller black ones reduced it enough for me - whilst leaving the exhausts as the 'main feature' chrome-wise. SUbsequently fitted black mirrors too and found the overall chrome tally pretty much spot on for me.

Hey - we all like 'em a little different - that's part of the mighty fine fun of it all.
If you've replaced all of those things with black parts, then yeah, I'd think that'd be a decent solution too. But $10 for a can of high temp Rustoleum is a little bit cheaper than replacing a bunch of individual parts.

There needs to be chrome somewhere on the bike, or at least something for contrast. Going overboard with blacking out these bikes kinda ruins the appeal of them to me...
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8967
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #16645
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Black Headlight Grille?

Noob question...I've been seeing a lot of Scramblers with black headlight grilles which is what I want but I can only find chrome ones for sale. Are black ones available to buy somewhere or are people getting the chrome ones and painting/powdercoating them black? If someone on here has painted a chrome one black, could you give me a run down on how you scuffed/removed the chrome to prep for paint? seems it would be difficult getting into all the wire mesh. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #16646
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Black looks good, but you can have "too much of a good thing" :)

I had my shields powder coated flat black, and wish it would have been satin. They went from "too much chrome" to "too much black". The scrambler high pipes are so prominent that they draw your eye immediately. Since I have the black thunderbike pipes, I just removed the rear shields.

I also wrapped my pipes, which some despise. I think a little subtle contrast with the pipes/shields is a good thing.

Here's a pic, just to help those making decisions:

xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #16647
vonfink13
2013 Scrambler

Quote:
If you've replaced all of those things with black parts, then yeah, I'd think that'd be a decent solution too. But $10 for a can of high temp Rustoleum is a little bit cheaper than replacing a bunch of individual parts.

There needs to be chrome somewhere on the bike, or at least something for contrast. Going overboard with blacking out these bikes kinda ruins the appeal of them to me...
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8967
that bike is really black...really really black...my bike is matte graphite and i love that color..that will allow some contrast..i'm leaving the pipes from the engine alone..i like the chrome and blueing look...also..i am going to leave all the bolts silver.. that should help it match the rest of the bike....there are bits of silver and graphite on the bike that i am also leaving alone...i have thought about this for a while and i think i am gonna like it....i know i am not loving the big chrome pipes...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #16648
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Expensive Scrambler Farkle

Just got my Excel rims back from Buchanan's ($1,000). I weighed them before and after. The alloy Excels are 5 lbs lighter than the stock chrome rims. I kept bending the stock rims on the dirt, so hopefully these will hold up better. I like them and they seem to handle better on the freeway.

Also, I finally found some mirrors that I like, and that I can actually see out of. Expensive though, ouch!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/round-black-...-/221080083910
The left one will not fit because of the front brake reservoir. I am not giving up on making it worth though. Or, I may just have to live without the right mirror and sell the extra one. The same mirror fits either right or left side.

And, speaking of the brake reservoir... This is the OEM Triumph black. Beats looking at that pee cup.

'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 07:37 PM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #16649
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Well, I took the plunge and decided to do the mod. All because of the little grey shield that hides the rear break reservoir:
I had noticed it a while back, and it bothered me then looking out of place as the only grey painted piece on the bike, and when I did the bafflectomy this morning I saw it again. So, I went to the store, held the paint in my hand, and thought that if I was going to paint one thing, might as well paint it all.

I came home and removed the parts, giving the chrome heat shields a light sanding. Took everything outside to spray it, and then brought them back inside again to dry. Repeated this a couple of times before sticking everything into the oven to cure.

Just put everything back on the bike a few minutes ago, and I think it looks alright. But my garage is badly lit and its too dark and cold out to see it in better light. Once I come home from work tomorrow I'll post something decent, but until then ill leave you with this:

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #16650
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Tvscum,

Is that 5lbs per wheel, or 5 lbs for the set? Do you feel any "seat of the pants" power gains?

They look great.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote