Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #1681
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
old picture...
bike probably only had 5-800 miles then
and had just come out of parts fabrication shop.

It must have been jet washed a day or two previously.
Normally use liberal doses of plutoline on chain.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #1682
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Fun stuff

You guys should try this sometime:

Take your scrambler to an open air vintage car show. The looks you get as you idle by are second to none. I have never seen so many people squint and stare in my life 'they makin those again?' 'what year is that?' 'it has...dirt...on it!'. I thought about pulling into the motorcycle area but didnt want to pay any registration fees. Fun times!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #1683
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
That's always the first question I get.. "What year is that?"
I love it.
2007 Tornado Red (Not as fast as the Blue,.. but sexier)

Mounting Ammo-Can panniers this week. So my sexyness quotient might take a hit there.
Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #1684
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Mud--I'll be interested in seeing your mounting for the ammo cans. I've got a pile of cans left over from my KLR and was in the garage last night pondering on how best to mount one or two of them.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #1685
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,571
Bought a china lift. Iit seems to work well.

Went to rally in the local mts and took a small 5 litre keg I had trouble trying to work how to attach it.

Whew managed to work it out ...
My DR and Scram among the wombat holes.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #1686
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Pics

Excellent pictures! I need to dig out my camera.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #1687
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

No Worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed
That's always the first question I get.. "What year is that?"
I love it.
2007 Tornado Red (Not as fast as the Blue,.. but sexier)

Mounting Ammo-Can panniers this week. So my sexyness quotient might take a hit there.
I like both red and blue equally well, but bought the blue because it is what they had. I noticed that nearly everyone got the blue, oh well. I guess I could always get a red fuel tank down the road when I feel like a change. Also the blue goes better with my all black and silver riding gear.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #1688
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Hey guys,
I took the Scrambler out in the dirt this past weekend and it did pretty well, especially considering the dirt was slowly turning to mud as the rain fell. I didn't get into anything too muddy and gnarly because of my lack of skills but the bike did inspire confidence.

Didn't have any mishaps but got to wondering: has anyone dropped their Scrambler on the right side? If so, the undoubtedly expensive pipes look like they might take the brunt of the damage. Any experience with that kind of situation?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #1689
jimmy73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I was on a way to muddy section of trail when my scram got tired and decided to take a nap on her right side. Luckily it was soft mud so all the damage was mud clods stuck to the pipes.

"cracks" mean they're shooting, "whizzes" mean they're shooting at you
jimmy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #1690
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Laugh Stop and Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Hey guys,
I took the Scrambler out in the dirt this past weekend and it did pretty well, especially considering the dirt was slowly turning to mud as the rain fell. I didn't get into anything too muddy and gnarly because of my lack of skills but the bike did inspire confidence.

Didn't have any mishaps but got to wondering: has anyone dropped their Scrambler on the right side? If so, the undoubtedly expensive pipes look like they might take the brunt of the damage. Any experience with that kind of situation?

I dropped mine on the right side at about 2mph on pavement. It broke off the right foot rest ($70), scratched the right brake lever a bit, and scratched the mount for the passenger foot rest. It didnt touch the pipes due to the passenger footrest mount. I swapped the passenger footrest to the front until I get a new front footrest. No serious damage though.

I just passed the 500 mile mark today.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #1691
tristoo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Anyone know what pipes these are?

I've seen similar pipes in the picture of the orange scrambler with the girl sitting on top in the first few pages of this thread, but I can't find anything available, does anybody have any ideas? This is the bike from MI3, more pics here: http://www.motorcyclingmag.com/Machi...se-Control.asp

I just bought an '06 Scrambler and i love it, but my engine casing is suffering from quite a bit of corrosion, has anyone put the chrome engine casing kit that comes as standard on the T100 on their scrambler?
Attached Images

tristoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #1692
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I dropped mine on the right side at about 2mph on pavement. It broke off the right foot rest ($70), scratched the right brake lever a bit, and scratched the mount for the passenger foot rest. It didnt touch the pipes due to the passenger footrest mount. I swapped the passenger footrest to the front until I get a new front footrest. No serious damage though.

I just passed the 500 mile mark today.
That's pretty good news. The part of the pipes I was worried about is the header section where they come out of the head and then curve around to the rear. Seems they stick out farthest there. Nice to know the foot peg mount sticks out farther.

Still I may opt for the Triumph crash bars in black. They seem like good insurance for $140.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #1693
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Fired mine into a road side drain [ gravel road ] at a fair clip & went for a wee trip over the bars, bike came to a rest on its RHS against a bank in water 1/2 way up the crank cases. Exit 1 x wind screen. bars bent, minor damage to master cylinder & head light , couple of motorists gave me hand to drag it up out of drain . Pulled away worst of mud /grass / shit & away I went . Mufflers despite the heat guards collecting crap were completely unmarked I figured it was going to be a lot worse & if I had put it down on a hard surface it would have been
I broke the golden rule 'Never switch off ' had ridden hard on unsealed roads all day, got onto a very familiar road very close to home & thought 'I,ll take it easy dont want to fall off now' Lost concentration & arrived at a corner just way too fast. Bugger lesson learned again & again

Re corrosion on cases , I have the same , any ideas on the best repair ??
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #1694
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme

Re corrosion on cases , I have the same , any ideas on the best repair ??
Buff the clear lacquer off and polish them?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #1695
pistol777
Freedom Seeker

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristoo
I've seen similar pipes in the picture of the orange scrambler with the girl sitting on top in the first few pages of this thread, but I can't find anything available, does anybody have any ideas? This is the bike from MI3, more pics here: http://www.motorcyclingmag.com/Machi...se-Control.asp

I just bought an '06 Scrambler and i love it, but my engine casing is suffering from quite a bit of corrosion, has anyone put the chrome engine casing kit that comes as standard on the T100 on their scrambler?
There is this metal polish from west Germany non abrasive called Flitz used in boating circles excellent you can get at West marine in the U.S. lasts a while too.
pistol777 is offline   Reply With Quote