Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #1696
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Fired mine into a road side drain [ gravel road ] at a fair clip & went for a wee trip over the bars, bike came to a rest on its RHS against a bank in water 1/2 way up the crank cases. Exit 1 x wind screen. bars bent, minor damage to master cylinder & head light , couple of motorists gave me hand to drag it up out of drain . Pulled away worst of mud /grass / shit & away I went . Mufflers despite the heat guards collecting crap were completely unmarked I figured it was going to be a lot worse & if I had put it down on a hard surface it would have been
I broke the golden rule 'Never switch off ' had ridden hard on unsealed roads all day, got onto a very familiar road very close to home & thought 'I,ll take it easy dont want to fall off now' Lost concentration & arrived at a corner just way too fast. Bugger lesson learned again & again

Re corrosion on cases , I have the same , any ideas on the best repair ??
Oh man. Sorry to hear about your "get off". You didn't mention how your body faired in the event. I hope you are okay and I will take this as a reminder to keep my focus - even on the familiar roads. Take care, TM.
Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #1697
Flat_Black_Rat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Not as impressive as some of the pictures here, but figured I'd add mine from the weekend to the mess. With all of the shock talk, I'm running the Works Preformance dual-rate steel adjustable trackers on the back with the matching dual-rate springs in the forks, huge improvement.

2005.5 KTM 950A
1978 Honda CT70
Flat_Black_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #1698
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
A few sore muscles in the left arm & wrist but all good now.
Silly old farts don't bounce like they used to
Thanks for asking

Re corrosion . The spots are small so I was going to try a very soft abrasive like Brasso , clean with a wax & grease remover then spray with auto clear laquer in my touch up gun . If I clean off the laquer & polish, I then have to do the cases on both sides & it starts to turn into a major for what is a very minor problem or am I missing something here. Is Flitz similar to Autosol , West Marina might be just a wee bit far for me to travel
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #1699
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Glad your OK dude. Try and make it to Clints MMMM ride end of July.
Arnica, and a good woman to rub it in eases most aches.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #1700
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Done , had booked Baileys Beach for a nth ride & was about to post then Clint beat me to the punch, Bugger . Better get new feet for ma wee beastie dont think the Scorps will cope.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #1701
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
FBR
Great pix - gettng air and Bundu Bashing
Post more of your adventures when you can.

trustme
glad it wasn't really serious spill.
the Scram can always be fixed.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #1702
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
TrustMe
Glad to hear you made it out with minor bangs and bumps. I hope I am as resilient in the future.

Has anyone had any experience with the kickstand pushing through hot pavement? I havent had this happen to me yet but figure I would get prepared with a puck or something.

Also, do any of you know of videos that explain the basics of riding on dirt? I dont have any dirt riding experience but like to cruise the dirt back roads. I figure this will come round to bite me in the end if I dont get some pointers.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #1703
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

I bought one of these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Tip-Assorted/

removed the markers and stuff and voila, a new tool roll. It even has two loops for hanging it somewhere. I just need to figure out where to put it now.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #1704
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Cool! I need to get a little tool kit, permanently attached to the Scram... Just in case...
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #1705
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I bought one of these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Tip-Assorted/

removed the markers and stuff and voila, a new tool roll. It even has two loops for hanging it somewhere. I just need to figure out where to put it now.
Good tool tip! Regarding the dual sport video and such, I think if you check the "Perfect line and other riding myths" forum you will find some suggestions in there.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #1706
scraper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
ive had my scram off road a bunch over the past few months & took a few slow speed lowside spills in very deep soft sand. never any issues aside from the 1st time it scuffed the clear off the alternator cover a little. i decided i wanted my motor to have the same bare/polished aluminum finish as my 70 TR6C so i took the alt cover, sprocket cover & clutch cover off, and used gasket remover to strip the clear off. then i sanded all the pieces by hand down with 600, 800, 1000, 1200 then 2000 grit - followed up with a little buffer treatment & they came out great. i plan on doing the cam(s) cover soon too.

of course the next time i rode i lowsided again and scuffed the newly buffed alt cover in the sand. this time i just sanded out the rough spot & hand polished it back to its former shine in just a few minutes. i dig the bare aluminum - its easy to polish & easy to fix if you get a scrape or scratch.

as far as riding in the challenging stuff like deep sand (plenty in the jersey pines) whoops, water holes & tight twisty enduro style trails i found the best solution to most obsticles is throttle. the scram has such a reliable amount of low end torque that its super easy to use. deep sand - gas it, i usually try to get through sand at least 25-30mph where possible - its scary at 1st but the TKCs are very predictable. i havent blasted whoops but certainly take them as fast as possible without going OTB. as for as the tight twisty, slightly bermed trails, i just make sure im on the throttle a little while the bike is leaned over & it goes exactly where i point it.

ive been a mountain biker for a really long time & could not get over how easy the heavy scram flicks through the tight twisty stuff like a bicycle. i really cant get enough of the bike, overall its just pure fun anywhere i ride it.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #1707
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
TrustMe
Glad to hear you made it out with minor bangs and bumps. I hope I am as resilient in the future.

Has anyone had any experience with the kickstand pushing through hot pavement? I havent had this happen to me yet but figure I would get prepared with a puck or something.

Also, do any of you know of videos that explain the basics of riding on dirt? I dont have any dirt riding experience but like to cruise the dirt back roads. I figure this will come round to bite me in the end if I dont get some pointers.
This is very well done and helpful...done by some local (meaning fellow ADVRiders)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246657
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #1708
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418

Earlier today, up on Washington Pass.
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #1709
ramitupurs84
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I like the look of the Scrambler..hows any big boy's ride them like say 6'7' and about 270#'s?
ramitupurs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #1710
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
This is very well done and helpful...done by some local (meaning fellow ADVRiders)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246657
Thank you! As always I appreciate all your guys help. It looks like a great DVD and just what I was looking for.

I am also encouraged by scraper's comments. Maybe I will get up to colorado this summer after all...

I like the pic M700.