User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1711
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
necessity

Thanks Rhodie for the YSS info, and Tri Boy for bringing up the concerns.
If speaking up as you did (not slagging off) brings out a manufacturer to back up their product its worth it.
Its worth it for YSS - I am much more presuaded to give them a go now as i think others would be.

It would be good Tri Boy if you took up their offer - compared the Ohlins to the YSS for us......

Well, here's my latest scrambler addition.
I wanted a bash plate and other things first, but my pillion was really keen for something to carry gear on for longer rides, and some security that she wasn't going to fly off the back, so (with much reluctance by me) I bought a MC resources rack/sissy bar

It actually looks better in real life than photos, doesn't appear so tall.
I'm warming too it.
Once you're on it, it doesn't look too bad at all AND its really really practical/handy. Cheapest option out there too for a backrest and rack.

Happy pillion = more bike time for me.

milkman screwed with this post 06-12-2008 at 02:20 AM
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #1712
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I need to get a rack also, you can see my 'method' for holding my camera bag is running the bag strap through the seat strap. It works though.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #1713
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Generally I just keep my camera in the tank bag - easy to grab when I come across a photo opportunity. Am using a new, small digital too - slips into my coat pocket when I don't have the tank bag along. Still, the only real addition I've made to my Scram was a luggage rack - gotta have a way to haul stuff. Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #1714
scraper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
sand trap

ok, i can usually handle some pretty deep sand on the scram without an issue, but last night i was going along fine in the upper end of 2nd gear following the ruts of a truck and i found the ultimate sand trap. this section had the deepest, softest & choppy sand ive ever seen - more crazy than a beach by far.

here is a pic after my one & only crash yesterday taken with my phone. for about 30 yards previous the bike turned into a bull trying to throw me off. i finally gave up & took a sand nap - haha. you can see the impression my body left in the sand next to the bike. its actually standing upright on its own right here. not a scratch on the bike or me - it was like landing on a giant pile of pillows & i layed there laughing for a minute before i picked it up.

scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #1715
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
ok, i can usually handle some pretty deep sand on the scram without an issue, but last night i was going along fine in the upper end of 2nd gear following the ruts of a truck and i found the ultimate sand trap. this section had the deepest, softest & choppy sand ive ever seen - more crazy than a beach by far.

here is a pic after my one & only crash yesterday taken with my phone. for about 30 yards previous the bike turned into a bull trying to throw me off. i finally gave up & took a sand nap - haha. you can see the impression my body left in the sand next to the bike. its actually standing upright on its own right here. not a scratch on the bike or me - it was like landing on a giant pile of pillows & i layed there laughing for a minute before i picked it up.

Pretty cool. Man I am thinking more and more about getting a Scrambler. The bike looks like it can easily do mild dirt duty. But if I get one, I don't think I would want to get into sand like that with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #1716
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip
Pretty cool. Man I am thinking more and more about getting a Scrambler. The bike looks like it can easily do mild dirt duty. But if I get one, I don't think I would want to get into sand like that with it.
Heck I don't like getting into sand like that with my DR650, Yamaha TTR230 or anything on two wheels, let alone my Scrambler.

PS I hate deep sand.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #1717
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days

I ordered my R.A.T. Party ticket last week. Today I ordered my camping pass and weekend general admission ticket.

FWIW, the lady I spoke with on the phone said that there are a limited # of camping spots and that they are "filling up and expect a sellout".

scrambled screwed with this post 06-13-2008 at 01:12 PM
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #1718
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,565
Did my 500 mile service today (at 768 miles, whoops!). Was easy enough. Changed oil and filter, adjusted and lubed chain, adjusted throttle and clutch freeplay, and all the other checks you're supposed to do. Found the chain was set a little tight so loosened it up a bit. Also went ahead and balanced the carbs just because I had been messing around with the idle mixture screws soon after getting the bike. Good thing I did as they were a bit off. Of course it could just be the sync tool is pretty sensitive -- there's no scale, it's just relative to each other so I don't really know in any quantitative way how much they were off. Anyway, it doesn't take much turning of the screw to make a big change in the balance (again, at least on my scale). So with a little patience and very fine adjustments I finally got 'em balanced. Good for another 12,000 miles until I need to balance again, according to the service manual.

Didn't really notice any difference on the test ride. Runs great as always. Easy enough bike to work on.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #1719
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Hey Scrambled--I've got my tickets and camping pass in hand. Still have to get the RAT pack dinner thing. I'm planning on riding up on Thursday afternoon so that I can be there early Friday to get my camping spot. I'm old, I need one close to the bathrooms!

Look forward to meeting you and any other ADV or Rat net riders there.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #1720
scrambled
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1

Cool. Should be a good time. Look forward to meeting you also.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #1721
scrambled
hillbilly

? for "The Jerk"

? for "the Jerk"

Please forgive, I know if it's off topic......have any advice for a first time visitor to NYC ?
Heading that way a week from tomorrow w/ the wife & two teenage sons. Going to take in a Yankees game and see the normal tourist stuff. Will be there 5 days.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #1722
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
? for "the Jerk"

Please forgive, I know if it's off topic......have any advice for a first time visitor to NYC ?
Heading that way a week from tomorrow w/ the wife & two teenage sons. Going to take in a Yankees game and see the normal tourist stuff. Will be there 5 days.
Well that depends. The normal tourist stuff? I swear to God if you eat at the Olive Garden in Times Square I'll kill you myself.
And that goes for any chain restaurant. You must make a vow that while in New York you will not eat at any chain or fast food restaurant. This town is all about the food. Don't waste time eating stuff you can get anywhere.

What are you guys into? Exploring? Food? Cultural stuff?

The only problem with doing the touristy stuff is there are way too many tourists there.

Maybe shoot me a PM and let me know your rough plans. Perhaps I can suggest some side trips or good spots in whatever areas you will be in.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #1723
scrambled
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1
Hey Scrambled--I've got my tickets and camping pass in hand. Still have to get the RAT pack dinner thing. I'm planning on riding up on Thursday afternoon so that I can be there early Friday to get my camping spot. I'm old, I need one close to the bathrooms!

Can't recall for sure but........I think the R.A.T. event tickets have to be reserved before June 30th.
You might wanna check on that.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #1724
scrambled
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk

Maybe shoot me a PM and let me know your rough plans. Perhaps I can suggest some side trips or good spots in whatever areas you will be in.
Will do. Thanks !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #1725
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
At first glance, I thought that was snow.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote