Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #17266
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethrok View Post
On the last one connected swap the wires, the wiring is not the same between the replacements & OEM you have one postive wire hooked to earth

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #17267
babble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
I thought I'd do a little write up for the lurkers that are perusing this thread with interest in purchasing a scrambler. Just looking to give some insight on some of the questions that I had before I bought mine. As you know, some questions are best answered by finding out for yourself.

First off, I lusted over a scrambler for a year before I made my purchase this past January. I spent many a day looking at pics, YouTube videos and daydreaming before I couldn't take it any longer and bought one.

I have to admit, on that first ride home the only thing I was thinking was damn, I made an expensive mistake! One of those bikes that is better to ride in your mind rather than in real life but...I refused to believe that, this was supposed to be my dream bike.

Coming from my Sprint 1050, the power of the scrambler was quite underwhelming and yawn inducing. However, I was determined to like this bike so I "forced" myself to ride it, a lot, and...it worked!

As the miles rolled by I started to feel a bond like I've never felt with any past bikes. The scrambler began to talk to me, well whisper anyway. It coaxed me into riding farther, taking roads I've never taken before including dirt. It brought out the BMX kid in me, saying "go jump that little hill, I can do it", "slide around that corner and splash through that creek, it'll be fun!" And so I did all of the above and it has been fun.

So much so that the Sprint has been relegated to collecting dust in the garage. The Sprint has great acceleration but that's about it. I grab the scrams keys every day. I was adament that I would not sell my Sprint as I didn't think the scram could possibly be an only bike but boy was I wrong. So wrong that I am now contemplating selling my Sprint to finance scrambler accessories.

I just cleared 1000 miles this weekend and am incredibly emotionally attached to this bike. It does nothing great but everything well and you can make it what you want. Kinda like the VW bug of motorcycles and I'm a huge VW nut. I spent all last weekend on the scram. Grinning while I was mixing it up in the woods with my friend on his WR250, getting misty eyed smiles as I was taking highway sweepers at 75mph two up with the wife on the back and embarrassing guys in the local RAT club through the twisties. All in one weekend. This never happened on any of my other bikes.

The acceleration may not be Sprint like but since the engine break in it is definitely enjoyable and will be more so once the arrow is installed. It is a great two up bike, my wife and I are 320 lbs combined and the bike never hiccups. The wife actually hates the Sprint but loves the scram. I'm going to get the king and queen seat for longer two up ventures though.

All in all, the scram truly is a do it all Swiss Army knife of bikes and looks good doing whatever you ask of it. I cruise, commute, dirt ride and act like a hooligan on it and I plan on a track day or two because I can. After all of the initial apprehension, the scram turned out to be the perfect bike for 98 percent of my riding...it will do the other 2 percent just a little slower and a little less comfortable than the Sprint. Now, mind you I am not a seriously fast or competitive rider so as always YMMV! :)
Wonderful post. thanks for sharing this. I have done about 3000 miles on mine and i love it. Track days, twisties, two-up etc. Can't wait for my next trip. I will post some photos soon - I owe this wonderful site that much! Meanwhile, that Arrow exhaust will change everything, especially if you perform the easy bafflectomy!! (pull out the baffle, cut the end off it and stick it back in - lovely sounding engine, nice power increase.)
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #17268
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 36
Better days ahead

A couple shots in anticipation of warmer days here in the Pacific Northwest.

twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #17269
strafkommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Well after looking at scramblers since 2007. On and off being obsessed with the new bonneville family but not having the extra money for a motorcycle .......I finally picked up a 2006 Scrambler!!!! Only 2300 miles on her. I couldn't be more happy with it. Id been to this thread many times over the years and finally just read through it all. Shes all stock except the AI has been plugged. I started slow and just gave her a fresh oil change today which is the very beginning of me going through her bit by bit. Ive got the fever and all I want to do is ride and work on her.
strafkommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #17270
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Congratulations!

That's super low milage for a 2006 model. Which color?

We need a pic of course.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #17271
strafkommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Congratulations!

That's super low milage for a 2006 model. Which color?

We need a pic of course.
Did the pic not load? shes blue and white. I can't believe she sat for so long with so little miles on her in almost showroom condition covered and indoors. I put on 200 the first day I had her. But as seen in many previous things I've read. The stock shocks/ springs/ and trail wings need a decent upgrade quickly.
strafkommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #17272
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafkommando View Post
Did the pic not load? shes blue and white. I can't believe she sat for so long with so little miles on her in almost showroom condition covered and indoors. I put on 200 the first day I had her. But as seen in many previous things I've read. The stock shocks/ springs/ and trail wings need a decent upgrade quickly.

I don't see the pic...

Funny, last year I picked up my 06 Blue and White with 4k on it. Rode it 500 miles the first day. A year later it's at 15k miles, and lotsa mods. Farkles are endless and not cheap. But so much fun.

Here's mine today: (different tank, the blue and white tank is unmolested)

Congrats again.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #17273
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf View Post

Ist that North Cascades Highway?
ClineDesign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #17274
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Triumph Scrambler

well here is my 06 Scrambler. I am also trading my 09 1050 Tiger for a new Scrambler. I'm keeping my carb Scram because I can make it a street tracker, etc. I just find riding the Scrams is so much fun. As stated before I habe a Tiger that I've put 36k miles on but....I am a Scram kind of guy. Trying to decide if I should get the arrow and if matte gray or black,
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #17275
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
'06 love fest...

I know I love mine! Here's a pic headed out to Salton Sea down in Southern California.

Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #17276
greywolves
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf View Post

WOW, what a shot! Looks a little bit like HEAVEN to me!!!!
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #17277
Simon T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Strange yellow object seen in the UK.......

Been out for the first decent ride of the year....here's a couple of pics ....nearly done the mods I want

IMG_0213 by Simon Tee, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by Simon Tee, on Flickr

IMG_0207 by Simon Tee, on Flickr

Simon T screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 08:24 AM
Simon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #17278
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 36
North Cascades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
Ist that North Cascades Highway?
Sure is. The "hairpin curve" at Washington Pass.
twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #17279
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
New Scram Owner

After weeks of searching, with help from a fellow inmate.. I became the proud new owner of an '09 Scrambler!! I'm in love, was smiling all the way home. Sometime this weekend I plan to return the forks to stock configuration and put on the stock handlebars. That said, this cafe style does look pretty good.. Maybe i'll keep it this way till I find some nice gravel around
[IMG][/IMG]

RicoAJP screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 11:05 AM
RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #17280
greywolves
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
After weeks of searching, with help from a fellow ADVRider.. I became the proud new owner of an '09 Scrambler!! I That said, this cafe style does look pretty good.. Maybe i'll keep it this way till I find some nice gravel around
[IMG][/IMG]
Got any pics in the daylight?
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote