Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #17371
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Triumph Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Unreal View Post
After 10 months of research and lurking on this thread while in Afghanistan, and searching for used Scramblers, I finally bought my 2013 Scrambler today in Matte Graphite.

Picked her up from Ray Price Triumph in Raleigh, NC, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a bike.

Will upload a picture tomorrow after work, but already ordered the following parts and will be installing them as they come in:

Arrow 2-1 Exhaust
Progressive 970 piggyback shocks
RaceTech .85 front springs
Headlight grill
Engine bars
Bashplate
Black brake fluid reservoir cup
British Customs airbox removal kit w/ secondary air injection plug kit

Plan on having a new seat pan with custom seat built in the next week or two, as well as having a rear grab rail welded on to close the rear end up. Also bracing up the gap in the engine dresser bars.

Powdercoating everything that isn't black yet and looking for a good deal on a set of all black Excel rims w/ black spokes.

Will post as I go.

Nice! I need shocks & the ractech forks for mine as well. Great bikes though. and...THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #17372
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Wow, you are doing it right! Congrats.

Dethrok, thanks for the awesome pics and ride report
I figured with all the research I have done on here, if I couldn't do it right by now, I never would.
Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #17373
gumpt100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Ireland here we come!

Bike is all packed ready for the off tomorrow morning.
5 day trip to Ireland.
2 scramblers, 1 bonnie, 1 BMW 800, and a Ducati 848!
I will post ride pics when I return next week.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #17374
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
hope you.ve packed the thermals and the waterproofs
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #17375
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
"4. Earplugs. Probably need them. My bell full face helmet is freaking loud Ė not sure if that is par for the course or there are better things out there. Newbie buy for looks. Iíve got a lot to learn."

I bought the same Bell modular helmet last year and after a few months I had enough. I had heard it was quieter than the one year earlier model but it was still too noisy for me. I'll keep it and wear it with plugs on hwy rides. It is comfortable for sure.

Got the Fly Dual Sport helmet for everyday. Would go great with a new to me two tone Scrambler if I could find one for sale somewhere and somewhat close to Minnesota.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #17376
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpt100 View Post
Bike is all packed ready for the off tomorrow morning.
5 day trip to Ireland.
2 scramblers, 1 bonnie, 1 BMW 800, and a Ducati 848!
I will post ride pics when I return next week.

Coming over for the NW? Bring waterproofs. It's fecking pissing.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #17377
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethrok View Post
So I spent last week in Utah on my Scrambler and figured Iíd go over the experience and a few lessons learned.

I bought my 2010 black Scrambler in February for I90 Cycles in Issaquah. They were great to work with and I was lucky to get some $$ off the bike as it was a few years old. Iíve digesting most of this gargantuan thread and was pretty excited to spend some time on the bike outside my daily 60 mile round trip commute.

Iím new to bikes (having last owned and ridden a Honda Nitehawk in the 80s) and was looking forward to spending some time camping/touring around. Normally I take my VW camper van down and camp around Moab for a few days each spring/fall, but this year I concocted a different plan that involved me, my Scrambler and little else.

I trucked the bike down to Provo, UT and then headed for Moab. The ride is about 3 hours total, and I left at about 7:30 knowing that Iíd be in darkness for some of the ride. I was.

I refilled in Wellington and made it to just north of Moab at 10:30. The road was dark and I can see why people donít speak highly of the headlamp on the bike Ė it really wasnít enough for safely see. Iíll have to look into some aux LED lights soon if I wanna ride at night (which I normally donít do much of). it was dark. Pee Wee Herman abandoned on a desolate road dark.

Anyhow, Iím a SUL backpacker (meaning I can backpack for a week with a pack and all contents besides consumables coming in under 5 lbs) and that experience led me to have little trouble fitting everything in the two 1430 cases I bought from a fellow inmate. '

I took a small tent, cot, chair, sleeping bag, small butane cook kit, laptop, ipad and a few other small things. The weight just wasnít that bad and I didnít really notice any effect on the handling.

I think I averaged 52 mpg on the ride down.
I camped for a few days out near the Klondike Bluffs area north of Moab and got rained on a few times while there.
A few lessons:
1. Light. Need more. As mentioned. Probably going to mount some twisted throttle denalis to the side of the headlight bucket.
2. I have a stock bonnie seat on there Ė and it was iffy for comfort after about 2 hours. I modded the seat to work with a rear rack setup I bought from Rotorwash79 (thanks dude) and Iíll probably do the same to the stock plank seat.
3. I was surprised at how tired I got riding Ė I spend hours on a mountain bike/road bike, but fighting that wind was tiring. I installed a SlipStream windscreen and that sure helps (I also have the Dart screen, but found buffeting on the helmet was annoying).
4. Earplugs. Probably need them. My bell full face helmet is freaking loud Ė not sure if that is par for the course or there are better things out there. Newbie buy for looks. Iíve got a lot to learn.
5. Rode thru rain and sun and clouds Ė my Tourmaster jacket/pants worked great at keeping me dry.
6. Rode down a nasty wet clay road and fishtailed some Ė scared me as that 450 lb bike is more work to keep upright than my 30 lb mountain bike. Newbie time.
7. My speedometer is off by 10 mph. Wow. Seems like a lot. Wonder if I can get that adjusted?
8. Deathwings were fine on the road. A bit squirrelly in the gravel and a lot so in the mud (as mentioned).
9. Loved the side racks and the 1430 cases. Donít need more space really.

Had lots of fun, loved the trip and put on about 800 miles over a week. Needed a bit more clothing than I brought due to the rain and cold I ran into (Its may in Moab, shouldíve been hot!).
I didnít do too much offroading besides driving to my campsite etc. But I did ride the very easy Gemini Bridges trail on the last day for the heck of it. I donít expect to do much offroading, but this was easy and fun. First time Iíve done it with a motor.

Fun was had by all.

On my way home, I stopped for burgers at Rays in Green River (now you know, the place to stop). Ran into this dude with a homemade rig that he'd been riding for 13 years all over the US. He was thin, wiry and tough. That rig weighs 600 lbs total.

He'd never had kids, a wife or a phone bill and loved to tell you all about it. Just wandering around getting harassed by troopers when on the interstates. Interesting guy and one that certainly makes the world more interesting.
Nice!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #17378
Jumperjohn
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi, I'm new!

Hello. I bought a new Scrambler a month ago and the bikes first service is this Friday where I will have a change of tyres, Avon Distanzias, too.

I love this bike, it sounds great, looks good and rides really well, it will ride even better when the tyres get swapped. I read how the OE tyres are crappy and I agree especially after I hit a small stone and the front end jolted. Other items swapped over include:
Hagon springs and shocks, LSL 6.5" front lamp, billet alloy lamp brackets, Norman Hyde rearsets, alloy instruments cover, Rizoma spy R bar end mirrors, Avon tyres, TOR exhaust, locking gas cap, alloy brake reservoir, Lucas style rear light and indicators and the chrome bits in the pic. I'll post some 'finished' pics when the sun decides to return.

Love the bike, love the ride, I love sitting in the garage with it. I actually don't mind old men chatting to me about it either and letting them remissness about the 60s'. I have never known a bike receive so much attention, it's good fun to park up, have a coffee and watch people take a look around.

This is a wonderful thread too where I have passed many an hour!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #17379
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
How does the Scrambler do for two up? I weigh around 165 and she weighs around 145. Could it handle that weight for long rides, with enough power for highway riding? Honestly I don't really look at the Scrambler as a good two up bike. I really want one, but my girlfriend loves riding with me.

Maybe as a third bike someday?

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug

Dave37 screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 05:22 PM
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #17380
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 83
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethrok View Post
So I spent last week in Utah on my Scrambler and figured I’d go over the experience and a few lessons learned.

Fun was had by all.

On my way home, I stopped for burgers at Rays in Green River (now you know, the place to stop). Ran into this dude with a homemade rig that he'd been riding for 13 years all over the US. He was thin, wiry and tough. That rig weighs 600 lbs total.

He'd never had kids, a wife or a phone bill and loved to tell you all about it. Just wandering around getting harassed by troopers when on the interstates. Interesting guy and one that certainly makes the world more interesting.
Hey Dethrok
Great post, i really enjoyed your write up and im very envious of your huge wide open spaces over there.

I particularly enjoyed it because ive just started planning my 50th birthday ride from Frisco to LA via Moab, Monument Valley and many other places.

I'll keep an eye out for that bloke on his bike.

Cheers
FLICKR

ajsimmo screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 04:46 PM Reason: PS. Less than 2 weeks to go until the TT, just me the missus and 10,000 other bikers!
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #17381
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
How does the Scrambler do for two up? I weigh around 165 and she weighs around 145. Could it handle that weigh for long rides, with enough power for highway riding? Honestly I don't really look at the Scrambler as a good two up bike. I really want one, but my girlfriend loves riding with me.

The scrambler is a great two-up bike, somewhere between a KTM690 Enduro and a Goldwing.

Seriously, it wouldn't be my first choice as a modern touring bike, but it is great for two-up in a classic-bike sort of way. It's got more than enough power for the highway and is probably more comfortable than my Thruxton.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #17382
killerBs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
new chain and sprocks

Went up a few teeth on the rear.

killerBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #17383
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
How does the Scrambler do for two up? I weigh around 165 and she weighs around 145. Could it handle that weight for long rides, with enough power for highway riding? Honestly I don't really look at the Scrambler as a good two up bike. I really want one, but my girlfriend loves riding with me.

No problem. We have you beat by about 50 lbs, and never lack for power. If you can take the wind blast, the scrambler will continue to accelerate.

The only trouble we've had is that the passenger legroom is slightly cramped for my wife at 5'11". An sheepskin on a pad made it way better for her knees.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #17384
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:

My wife is very happy with the Scram. Precedent bike where BMW G/S(87) and RT(84).

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #17385
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 189
Thumb 2up

Scrams not that great two up lets be honest now first new rear shocks are needed then a better seat . Luggage is tight you need metal mule expensive ,shocks more money better wind protection and finally a lower pipe. I went from my vstrom 650 best bike for your partner back to my old scram my lady prefers the strom it can't be beat .She wonders why I sold the perfect bike and I had to tell her I just needed them both her and the scram.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote