Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17446
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 369
Don't forget the Race Tech cartridge emulators when you're in there. Huge difference!

I just finished up a slightly botched valve adjustment on my Scrambler before a trip to Moab. Despite having the cam timing marks all lined up, apparently the #1 piston wasn't at TDC so I put the cams in... backwards? Somehow it doesn't run well when pulling air from the exhaust.

No valve/piston contact since I spun the engine over a few times before hitting the starter. Ended up having to pull the alternator cover to get timing right, R&R the cams again, then she works!

The lowest alternator cover bolt snapped when removing it, but there was enough left over to get vise grips on. That thing did NOT want to come out. Removed it and when I replaced everything I used anti-seize. Shouldn't be a problem next time, but there shouldn't be a next time. Gonna verify piston 1 is at TDC if I have to pull cams again at 24k miles.

I keep threatening to replace the Triumph with a Nighthawk 750 but I think it knows it's an empty threat.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #17447
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCafe View Post
I have a blue 06 Thrux and a blue/white 07 Scram - it would be really tough to give either one up.

You have to do the 06 Desert Sled Build!
Just sold my XR400 today sad to see it go

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #17448
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
Well after trying to sell my Sprint with no luck, I found a fellow inmate that wanted to sell or trade his 06 Scram for a Sprint. Thinking the scrambler would be a much quicker sell and wanting to help this guy get the bike he wanted, I decided to go through with the trade. Problem is, now I don't wanna sell the 06! So for now I let the neighbors make fun of me for having two of the "exact same" motorcycle while I figure out what to do.

Sell the golf clubs....problem solved, you will have plenty of garage space then
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #17449
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Unreal View Post
So after three weeks or non-stop riding, she is ready to be stripped down for the first round of mods. Tomorrow I will be replacing the shocks with Progressive 970s and the front with Race Tech .85 springs. British Customs Airbox removal kit with secondary plug kit going in as well. Front and rear fenders being replaced with aluminum MAS Engineering fenders. Already put on the aluminum pegs and MSR shifter.

After that, as the parts come in I will throw them on. There will be some seat chopping and rear frame welding, as well as alot of black powdercoat in the next few weeks. A bunch of small new accessory parts and coming up with a plan for the lights on the new rear fender.

And if this damn Zard Cross Exhaust will ever show up from Italy....

Going to be a fun weekend in the garage.
Looks like good times for sure. I ordered my Zard from their distributor up in Minnesota I think and it took a bit. Worth it though. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #17450
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
yesterdays ride

Started with a fast lap of the old grand prix circuit

Found some sand bits

Stopped at a waterfall

Then on to the Nerriga pub to hava beer with Radioman on his Oz leg of RTW

Two Triumphs really wanted nothing to do with his bike though...

ferals5 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 04:59 PM
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #17451
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
So now the dilemma is do I do the financially responsible thing and sell one of them or do I do the you only live once thing and maybe do a desert sled project on the 06? Ideas are welcome! Here is the duo hanging out in the garage...
Build the motor on the '06! Make it fast.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #17452
widowmaker2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolt View Post
Just sold my Scrambler. I have some parts for sale: YSS shocks, solo seat, engine dresser bars. PM me if interested.

Post in Fleamarket: click
PM sent
widowmaker2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #17453
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Build the motor on the '06! Make it fast.
Easier to just fit a Thruxton engine to the Scrambler...I could swap both mine over, the Thruxton is so much quicker & smoother, wonder what the Thruxton would sound like with the Scrambler Staintunes ?

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #17454
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quicker???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Easier to just fit a Thruxton engine to the Scrambler...I could swap both mine over, the Thruxton is so much quicker & smoother, wonder what the Thruxton would sound like with the Scrambler Staintunes ?

Terry
I've got both and have to disagree. Well, the Thrux is the wife's, but I do all the work. I'd rather ride the Scram any day. So much more grunt. Now I do have FCRs on the Scram and the Thrux is only rejetted, but all the other mods are the same (airbox, exhaust, etc..). Both are great fun though.
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #17455
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Oddometer: 67
My CDI has joined the rest of the fail club, an '06 @ 24930 miles.
It seems to run until freeway speeds kills it. One jug or two, city streets got me home.
Waiting for British Customs to send me one.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #17456
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
My CDI has joined the rest of the fail club, an '06 @ 24930 miles.
It seems to run until freeway speeds kills it. One jug or two, city streets got me home.
Waiting for British Customs to send me one.
Bummer! That's almost the exact mileage mine failed at. So far so good with about 3000 miles on the Procom replacement from BC.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #17457
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Parts for sale

I am going to have quite a few almost new parts (less than 100miles use) for sale in the next few weeks, as I am replacing alot of the stock parts. I will post everything under the flea market once I have all the parts taken off and listed out, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up just in case someone is looking for a part in the next week or two. Just shoot me a PM if anyone is looking for stock parts, because I am replacing just about all of them it seems....

Again, will post a full ad under Flea Market and will put a link in here in a week or two.
Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #17458
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 454
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a closet Scram fan myself, but two mates have bit the bullet and bought them. One is using his bike 2up and tells me he is having bottoming out problems; any advice on suspension mods he could do and I'll pass it on.

Thanks

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #17459
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Well after trying to sell my Sprint with no luck, I found a fellow inmate that wanted to sell or trade his 06 Scram for a Sprint. Thinking the scrambler would be a much quicker sell and wanting to help this guy get the bike he wanted, I decided to go through with the trade. Problem is, now I don't wanna sell the 06! So for now I let the neighbors make fun of me for having two of the "exact same" motorcycle while I figure out what to do. I've always loved the blue/white paint with polished engine cases and you can tell they put more detail into the 06. Hand pinstriped tank, bolt on tank badges etc...I did put the TORs and dart screen from the 06 onto my 13. So now the dilemma is do I do the financially responsible thing and sell one of them or do I do the you only live once thing and maybe do a desert sled project on the 06? Ideas are welcome! Here is the duo hanging out in the garage...

I also have an '06 blue/white Scram with BC high headers. I almost traded my 1050 Tiger for a new Scram and would have had two. I waited and now I have the '06 Scram and a '13 800XC. I love both bikes. The Scram just has something about it that non Scrammers don't know until they ride one for awhile. I might put road tires on the Scram and do the rough road stuff with the XC but for now...fun!!!!!!!
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #17460
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a closet Scram fan myself, but two mates have bit the bullet and bought them. One is using his bike 2up and tells me he is having bottoming out problems; any advice on suspension mods he could do and I'll pass it on.

Thanks

Cheers
Potski
Change the stock rear shocks for aftermarket ones more suitable for the weight. Just add preload for when he's 2 up.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote