Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
trunk monkey security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
+1

The cost of those extras is ridiculous.

$400 for tire and wheel maybe if you plan to offroad heavy and dent rims. $700 "theft protection"? Unless its a large angry dude who follows you around and watches your bike when you're not there that's crazy.

In the Los Angeles area getting anything off the sticker is near impossible. When I was shopping last year I asked the dealer why no flex and he responded "We don't need to, the modern classics fly off the floor."
Would need a big givi, but......

"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #17582
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I fitted the Metal Mule racks to my new (to me) Scram, very sturdy, reasonably easy to fit. Just thought you might like a look....yes they are pretty spendy

Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #17583
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Nice rack Hallwine...jealous. Those definitely are spendy, but they look great. Wolfman keeps teasing us scram owners with a possibility of a new rack system from them, but it has yet to be anything but a tease...fingers crossed!

Also, 081's pic has me interested. I still want to find a good removable baffle I could run with headers only around town (for shits and giggles, as they say). There is a product called db dawgs, but I haven't heard of anyone running them straight into the headers. Maybe I need to step up and be the test mule here...I think this is the second time I mentioned the idea out loud, and I don't get to have a third mentioned without actually doing it.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #17584
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 130
[QUOTE=Hallwine;21636668]I fitted the Metal Mule racks to my new (to me) Scram, very sturdy, reasonably easy to fit. Just thought you might like a look....yes they are pretty spendy

Nice to see MM are offering a colour other than black. FYI, if you ever decide to upgrade your rear shocks to aftermarket ones, double check the clearance where the rack arm connects to the top shock bolt. For some brands/design of shocks, the racks arm will rub against the shocks upper mount causing very visible damage.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #17585
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 081 Scrambler View Post
Mario, ti piace vincere facile ;)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #17586
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder View Post
FUCK!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #17587
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
What the hell am I looking at?
A Scrambler.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #17588
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Oops, edited for the time being.

xaman screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 02:56 PM
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #17589
bighead3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
FUCK!
+1
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #17590
manyu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Is there an alternative to AAA that works for motorcycles? I called AAA in New England and they said that they dont offer anything for motorcycles. Wondering what my options are if the bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #17591
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Is there an alternative to AAA that works for motorcycles? I called AAA in New England and they said that they dont offer anything for motorcycles. Wondering what my options are if the bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere.
Our equivalent here in Canada is called BCAA and as long as I carry their RV protection that includes motorcycles. It costs about $50 more a year than just just the car coverage, but is worth it for me as we have an RV as well.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #17592
maddy'sdad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
keep it simple

The extra 2 years sounds reasonable for $599 if you plan to keep the bike and might still be making payments. The rest seems too much. The stock Bridgestone tires wear out fast and there are better choices for replacements down the road. If you have extra cash get better shocks, they improve rebound damping, my Ikon rear shocks are great and the Ikon fork springs finished the job. Ride safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Hey guys,

So after all my questions about used vs new scramblers, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 graphite Scrambler. it's such a sexy bike. Cant wait to get it tomorrow!

Quick question: When I bought the bike, the dealer tried to make some upsells and this is what he had to say:
Extended service contract: warranty for 2 years past original warranty $599
Tire & Wheel Replacement: $399
Theft Protection: $695
Priority Maintenance: 3 years or 6 services free $871

Now, of course I had no idea I needed any of this before I went in there and I think these are pretty much just upsells, but you guys have been so helpful that I figured I should run it by you guys to see if any of these are even worth considering.

Not sure I have the money but it would nice to hear your thoughts.

On a side note, I did manage to get the bike from $8299 instead of the $8799 MSRP. The dealer had a free first year of service but I asked him to take that off so he shaved $500 of my price.

Thanks,

Manyu
maddy'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #17593
081 Scrambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Mario, ti piace vincere facile ;)
081 Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #17594
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Wolfman keeps teasing us scram owners with a possibility of a new rack system from them, but it has yet to be anything but a tease...fingers crossed!
Yea, same thing out of Happy Trails. These guys supply racks for a Moto Guzzi Quota, that has been out of production for what, 12 years or more, but nothing for a Scrambler that has been produced for now 7 years since 2006 - go figure!
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #17595
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Luggage racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
Yea, same thing out of Happy Trails. These guys supply racks for a Moto Guzzi Quota, that has been out of production for what, 12 years or more, but nothing for a Scrambler that has been produced for now 7 years since 2006 - go figure!
Great points. How about we all email en masse? Hearing from this many people in a short period of time might wake them up?

Here are their email addresses:
info@happy-trail.com
dusty@wolfmanluggage.com

...and here is some text you can copy and paste into an email if you don't feel like coming up with something on your own:

Hello,

I'm writing to inquire if you have plans to offer a luggage rack solution for Triumph Scramblers in the near future. This topic has come up in the past but nothing ever seems to come of it. Scramblers may not be a very common bike but a visit to ADV rider will show that they have a growing and loyal following with a forum of over 1100 pages with over 17,000 posts. We are hungry for luggage options for our bikes with Metal Mule offering the only out-of-the-box solution for us at the moment. Your products are clearly very popular in the motorcycling community and we'd love to get in on that. Please consider developing products for these bikes, I know that they'll sell!

Sincerely,
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote