Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #17701
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
...battery tender leads on the bike? Just zip tie to the frame somewhere?
Yup.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #17702
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Triumph scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I've been a lurker here for years. Been a Scrambler fan for 40 years, old Hondas, converted Sportsters, Dakar style Beemers, you name it, if it looks like a Scrambler or could be one, I like it. For some nice pics of Triumph and other Scramblers, take a look at Bing images and type in what you want to see. www.bing.com. I see some cool looking bikes but none that really appear to be off road worthy. I have always wanted to take any fairly late model Triumph and really make it into a capable off road bike. Enough suspension to handle small jumps, 21" front wheel, real knobbies, off road pegs, real dirt bike bars, 2 into 1 high exhaust, whatever it takes. I have a look in mind but it's far less important than the function. I think if it works well off road it'll look fine. Not trying to make a true MX bike, but one that would be fun on an easy old school MX track or grass track, dirt roads, 2 track, and still work on the street and dirt roads. .

This is my '06 and it does quite well on evrything but one track roads. I need to but better rear shocks and relocate rear brakes to above swing arm. I t has air box eliminated and I have k & N cones on it. It has plenty of power. I can run interstates when I need to with no problem. Just another idea. It has BC high headers. I just bought a set of stock triumph high headers but they are too damn heavy. I'm leaving this as is other than shocks & rerouting brakes. I am in no hurry since I have Tiger XC.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #17703
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
...better rear shocks and relocate rear brakes to above swing arm...
IMO, every modern twin variant could use better rear shocks.

Ironically, the rear caliper on my 07 SM is mounted above the swingarm.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #17704
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Triumph Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
IMO, every modern twin variant could use better rear shocks.

Ironically, the rear caliper on my 07 SM is mounted above the swingarm.

I noticed that too on the Speedmasters. Doesn't make a lot of sense to not do it on Scambler. I don't know what they were thinking. Just more aftermarket parts to buy. The prior owner of my Scram had low pipes mounted and was going for a cafe look with a pedestrain slicer on front fender. I almost stayed that way but I had a 1050 Tiger at time and wanted a more capable backroad mount. Now that I have the XC the point is mute. I'm leaving the Scram as is. It is so much fun to ride. I just ride either depending on my mood!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #17705
ransack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13

Found some nice roads in the Santa Cruz hills.
ransack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #17706
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Nice pic!
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #17707
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
My green is back :-)

My black Scramb got a new owner earlier this spring to make place for a Thruxton and a older Scrambler. To my surprise my old 09 Khaki green Scramb was up for sale.

I picked it up last weekend, unfortunately the bike was not taken care off.
rust on wheels, and some other parts show that it has been stored badly :-(
I will need to tear down the wheels, keep the hubs and order new spokes and rims. Nothing big doe..

Pickup day.

Mounted my Thruxton oem wheels since that bike runs with Alpina tubeless.
My friend Henning took her out for a testdrive :-)

Some parts are available for sale.
- center stand
- bonneville seat
- rear fender removal kit with light
- Hepco becker rack
- Progressive black 440 shocks

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #17708
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
The view from Hurricane Ridge Saturday morning.

What a dynamite photo that is! Great picture! The mountain backdrop looks almost like the bike was in a photo studio, yet so much better as you were there. Thanks for the photo!
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #17709
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Rotopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
My black Scramb got a new owner earlier this spring to make place for a Thruxton and a older Scrambler. To my surprise my old 09 Khaki green Scramb was up for sale.

I picked it up last weekend, unfortunately the bike was not taken care off.
rust on wheels, and some other parts show that it has been stored badly :-(
I will need to tear down the wheels, keep the hubs and order new spokes and rims. Nothing big doe..

Pickup day.

Mounted my Thruxton oem wheels since that bike runs with Alpina tubeless.
My friend Henning took her out for a testdrive :-)

Some parts are available for sale.
- center stand
- bonneville seat
- rear fender removal kit with light
- Hepco becker rack
- Progressive black 440 shocks
Nice ride! Any chance you can post some close up pics of how that rotopax can is mounted? I just got one delivered and I'm still trying to decide how/where I want to mount it.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #17710
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Thanks for the pics and ideas. I wonder how light you can realistically get a Scrambler down to? Lighter LED blinkers, HID headlight, plastic front and rear fenders with the under-fender crap removed, remove or drill holes to lighten the chain guide, lighter battery, aluminum bars, what am I forgetting?

KLR 650s are heavier than they say by far. I lightened my 01 KLR as much as possible, did all the above stuff also removed all the heavy tubing from the "Dakar" style front fairing and replaced with very lightweight strap steel, drilled everything I could, but then added a skidplate and barkbusters. I weighed it full of gas, with an extra set of headlights, I think it was 412lbs. I even took the seat off, removed the foam, and drilled the plastic seat base! I also removed the rear rack but when I felt how light it was, (aluminum and well designed), I put it back on. I also added a fairly heavy tailbag with tools, permanently mounted.

If Scramblers are really about 450 to start, with all the extra unneccesary stuff I bet you could get one around 420 without fuel pretty easy. I'd love a KLR if they only had 20 more hp, and 15 more ft-lbs of torque. No KLR will ever look as good as a Scrambler though.

If I had a Scrambler I'd want to add longer/better shocks and longer travel forks with a 21" front wheel. Finding some small diameter forks to fit the stock clamps might be tough. If you have ever ridden any off road bike with smaller 17 or 19" front tire, such as a supermoto kit, then ridden the same bike with a 21" front tire, you know what I mean. It just turns so much better with less effort and rolls over everything much better, with not too much loss of on pavement handling with a 21".
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #17711
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Triumph Scarmbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Thanks for the pics and ideas. I wonder how light you can realistically get a Scrambler down to? Lighter LED blinkers, HID headlight, plastic front and rear fenders with the under-fender crap removed, remove or drill holes to lighten the chain guide, lighter battery, aluminum bars, what am I forgetting?

KLR 650s are heavier than they say by far. I lightened my 01 KLR as much as possible, did all the above stuff also removed all the heavy tubing from the "Dakar" style front fairing and replaced with very lightweight strap steel, drilled everything I could, but then added a skidplate and barkbusters. I weighed it full of gas, with an extra set of headlights, I think it was 412lbs. I even took the seat off, removed the foam, and drilled the plastic seat base! I also removed the rear rack but when I felt how light it was, (aluminum and well designed), I put it back on. I also added a fairly heavy tailbag with tools, permanently mounted.

If Scramblers are really about 450 to start, with all the extra unneccesary stuff I bet you could get one around 420 without fuel pretty easy. I'd love a KLR if they only had 20 more hp, and 15 more ft-lbs of torque. No KLR will ever look as good as a Scrambler though.

If I had a Scrambler I'd want to add longer/better shocks and longer travel forks with a 21" front wheel. Finding some small diameter forks to fit the stock clamps might be tough. If you have ever ridden any off road bike with smaller 17 or 19" front tire, such as a supermoto kit, then ridden the same bike with a 21" front tire, you know what I mean. It just turns so much better with less effort and rolls over everything much better, with not too much loss of on pavement handling with a 21".
Just buy one. Can't explain the bike until you ride it. Buy a stock bike, ride it and then make it yours. Mine rips and its light and does the ton w/o problem. They are a blast and there is nothing like them except my old CB360 when I was 17 yrs old but that didn't have the nuts of the Scrambler. The essence of the Scrambler is why it is so fun to ride. It is not my only bike but it could be easily.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #17712
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Nice ride! Any chance you can post some close up pics of how that rotopax can is mounted? I just got one delivered and I'm still trying to decide how/where I want to mount it.

Sure :-) I have used the bracket from Newbonneville on this one.

[/URL]
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #17713
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Rotopax mount

Thanks. That's a nice setup, unfortunately I'm still stuck. I actually have that mounting bracket already and use it with a hard case for day-to-day riding. Unfortunately the bracket can't be used at the same time as the Ventura rack system which is a must for me on longer trips, which if course is when I want to have the extra gas with me. Oh well, I'll figure something out and put some pics up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Sure :-) I have used the bracket from Newbonneville on this one.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #17714
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Thanks. That's a nice setup, unfortunately I'm still stuck. I actually have that mounting bracket already and use it with a hard case for day-to-day riding. Unfortunately the bracket can't be used at the same time as the Ventura rack system which is a must for me on longer trips, which if course is when I want to have the extra gas with me. Oh well, I'll figure something out and put some pics up.
I have the ventura on too, made two new brackets for it. Use it when I ride solo (99%) the weight is on the Seat

[/URL]
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #17715
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

So those brackets slide into the frame then? Nice.