WoW! Beautiful area! Nice pics Boola Boola
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #18137
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
If they really come up with a product it would, for sure, make me look more seriously at the Scram

I know this comment is coming quite late from when the above was posted...

I would say, don't count on Happy Trails delivering on their promises. I made an all out effort to convince them to produce luggage side racks for the standard Bonneville, T100 and the Scrambler a number of months ago and they seem to continue to drag their feet and telling people that they are next on their list of projects - well, after months of that, I think that they are already 13 years too late. While expensive, I would go with Metal Mule from the UK through a U.S. importer and bite the bullet for side racks. Consider this place for reasonably priced alloy boxes: http://muffintopindustries.com/

The above quote is a follow on comment made by Ace Cafe Rat found on the bottom of page 1198.

grebmrof screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 07:45 PM
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #18138
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuhexavier View Post
Thanks all.

Went out again this afternoon and it started right up... Battery tender all the time now... Must have been because of the cold night, it dropped into the 60's...
I hope I am not insulting with some advice, but be very weary here. Not sure from your post if you charged it or put in on the tender, but this seems like very odd behavior for a good battery. It is no big deal to get a start or two out of battery on its last legs, but drop the temp or start it 4 or 5 times and you may have less favorable results. Hopefully not, but a reasonably good battery should not be doing what you described in your first post unless left for a really long time or if you left something on. Keep an eye on it so you don't get bit 100 miles from home.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #18139
sinuhexavier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
I hope I am not insulting with some advice, but be very weary here. Not sure from your post if you charged it or put in on the tender, but this seems like very odd behavior for a good battery. It is no big deal to get a start or two out of battery on its last legs, but drop the temp or start it 4 or 5 times and you may have less favorable results. Hopefully not, but a reasonably good battery should not be doing what you described in your first post unless left for a really long time or if you left something on. Keep an eye on it so you don't get bit 100 miles from home.
Solid advice.

I'm going to have the battery tested see what that shakes out...

Twitter: sinuhexavier Instagram: sinuhe xavier

2010 Triumph Scrambler - 2012 Triumph 800xc
sinuhexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #18140
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuhexavier View Post
Solid advice.

I'm going to have the battery tested see what that shakes out...

It´s one small step for man, one giant leap for Scrambler: check the mini voltmeter in the upper left corner. Very unobtrusive, most people never find it (unless in the evening when it shines) and I have permanent info about my battery.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #18141
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
It´s one small step for man, one giant leap for Scrambler: check the mini voltmeter in the upper left corner. Very unobtrusive, most people never find it (unless in the evening when it shines) and I have permanent info about my battery.
Great idea, what volt meter is that and how do you have it attached?
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #18142
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
I know this comment is coming quite late from when the above was posted...

I would say, don't count on Happy Trails delivering on their promises. I made an all out effort to convince them to produce luggage side racks for the standard Bonneville, T100 and the Scrambler a number of months ago and they seem to continue to drag their feet and telling people that they are next on their list of projects - well, after months of that, I think that they are already 13 years too late. While expensive, I would go with Metal Mule from the UK through a U.S. importer and bite the bullet for side racks. Consider this place for reasonably priced alloy boxes: http://muffintopindustries.com/

The above quote is a follow on comment made by Ace Cafe Rat found on the bottom of page 1198.
Take a look at those. They don't build for the scram at the moment but there must be possibility.
http://konvoi.ro/?no_mobile_theme

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #18143
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead3 View Post
WoW! Beautiful area! Nice pics Boola Boola
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
Nice pics Boola
What do you think of your Arrows? Are you happy with it? Not to noisy?
Is there a huge weight difference?
Hey - Thanks for the nice comments.

gseur - I like the look of the Arrow, I fancied a change in appearance as I've had the Scram five years now and went to single seat/rack and Arrow (dualseat refitted for this trip though) for a revised look, but I definately preferred the sound of the twin exhausts with TOR's myself. The Arrow is much quieter than TOR's when it's baffle/db-killer is in, but quite a bit louder with it out. TORs were loud enough - just right. I've modified a spare baffle to get a bit more 'presence' to the sound, which has improved it but still quieter than TORs. Character or envelope shape of sound is different too from Arrow. The others here 'chez Boola' say they can't recognise the sound when I ride home now as it just sounds like 'a bike' whereas they found it unique sounding and instantly recognisable with the TORs. Will go back to TOR's sometime for sound as I kept the twin system hence have the choice for future. Arrow quite a bit lighter. Didn't realise how much until I was cleaning the TOR's, still mounted together on their bracket, before storing them - pair of TOR mufflers and bracket seem to weigh as much as whole Arrow system, but I didn't weigh to compare.

Cheers,
BB

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #18144
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
I know this comment is coming quite late from when the above was posted...I would say, don't count on Happy Trails delivering on their promises. I made an all out effort to convince them to produce luggage side racks for the standard Bonneville, T100 and the Scrambler a number of months ago and they seem to continue to drag their feet and telling people that they are next on their list of projects - well, after months of that, I think that they are already 13 years too late. While expensive, I would go with Metal Mule from the UK through a U.S. importer and bite the bullet for side racks. Consider this place for reasonably priced alloy boxes: http://muffintopindustries.com/ The above quote is a follow on comment made by Ace Cafe Rat found on the bottom of page 1198.
Darn. Having had few dealings with Happy Trails I took them @ their word when they said, "Skid Plate in about 60 days. Luggage racks will be out "this very month". Obviously I hope they come through.

Let me use this reply as an opportunity to reiterate that when walking to the fine folks @ Ricochet Offroad Armor http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/store/ I was able to direct them to this thread and when I showed them how many of us there are who might buy one they said they would begin R&D on one in about a week!

So if you even think you might want one PLEASE send them a short email @ dh_gibbs@comcast.net and confirm there would be a market for a "big ass bash plate".

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity

Ace_Cafe_Rat screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 04:10 PM Reason: Added URL
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #18145
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I need new tires

I am having a helluva time deciding on tires for my '08. I need them for wet and dry commuting, cold and warm. I would like to see more fire roads, gravel, etc....but I am in the city so getting there on pavement is a must and I still need to find more non-paved roads to explore. I have ridden gravel on my current set of damn near bald stock tires and it honestly wasnt too bad until I had to brake, haha.

I would guess I need something like a Distanzia...? I want to buy tires tomorrow but I am still undecided.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #18146
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Crater Lake. I've had the bike a week and have put 1800+ miles on it and been to 3 national parks. LOVE IT. Me and the stock seat don't get a long too well on 300+ mile days. I'm thinking the solo seat with rack but am concerned about it carrying my Kriega bags having heard of the rack being weak.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...

Av8rPaul screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 10:34 AM
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #18147
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
Great idea, what volt meter is that and how do you have it attached?
The wiring is attached to the parking light fuse (fuse box is very close to it, ground can be found anywhere). For the gadget itself I used 3M double-sided adhesive tape.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #18148
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,243
I know I plan on making my own setup based on a solo seat configuration. Build my own racks and use some Pellican cases for the sides. Possibly either a hard or soft waterproof case for the top.

I absolutely do NOT want some big ugly things that stick out a mile on the sides like most of these kits. I want them to tuck in nice and tight. rely on a bigger back rack due to the solo seat for any extra capacity needed. Already have the Peiliicans picked out. right side one will be modified to fit around the exhaust system, or possibly 2 cases, one under and a thinline one for tools aside the exhaust.

Just have to find a used 2006 scrambler in my area. I do NOT want a black motor, just the silver motor, only available in 06. Plus in blue and white to match my 71 scrambler if possible.

Also, has anyone retrofitted the bonnie front fender for better protection? I'd like to fit a more full cover fender but mounted a litter higher off the tire. Don't want as much crap slung up on the motor and rider as you would get with the short fender fitted as stock. I plan on doing a LOT of gravel and dirt roads and 2 track riding with this.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #18149
hwapios
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh New or old

Hey everyone!

First I love this thread. I've been reading it for days! Way to much awesome info. I wanted to get a pulse on what you guys think of my current situation.

I have been drooling over a scrambler for about three years an now am only a few weeks away from pulling the trigger.

Here is my issue. I am looking at a used 2009 with 7000 miles on it. Not sure how hard it has been pushed though. Dealer says "typically Triumph riders take care of there bikes". But there is no paper trail or details. Dealer said they looked it over and it looks good. Am I pretty safe getting a bike that has the unknown history? It would save me about $4000 from a new purchase.

Is there anything I should look for on the bike that would be a smoking gun for future problems?

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to be official and join the Scrambler posse :)
hwapios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #18150
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
Also, has anyone retrofitted the bonnie front fender for better protection? I'd like to fit a more full cover fender but mounted a litter higher off the tire. Don't want as much crap slung up on the motor and rider as you would get with the short fender fitted as stock. I plan on doing a LOT of gravel and dirt roads and 2 track riding with this.
I don't believe the Scrambler fork legs have the same fender stay mounting lugs as does a T100 has, thereby not letting us fit a T100 fender to the Scrambler. The Scrambler fender can be extended using a fender extender - this won't give any additional clearance, but will keep more junk off of the front of the motor.

The '06 models occasionally come up for sale on AdvRider and elsewhere, just have to watch like a hawk for a while. Good luck with your hunt, scramblers are great bikes.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote