Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #18496
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Just put a deposit down on a 2014. It's in a crate at the shop at the moment. To be assembled and brought home in a week or so. She's the red/silver combo.
Oh.... that's dangerous. I like that MUCH better than the matte finish options.

00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #18497
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
This one's for you Chu, and you'se Too
Thanks for the follow-up! Do you have your boxes yet? Please post pics when you get them. Since I'm stuck waiting until xmas to get mine I'm going to live vicariously through you.
ChuBrocka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #18498
manyu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Winter storage question

Hey guys,

Quick question for ya'll. I ride a 2013 Triumph Scrambler and live in Boston. As the winter approaches, I am trying to figure out what to do about storing my motorcycle in the winter. I have a spot in a parking garage where I could park the bike for free, but it is one of the garage buildings and NOT closed to the environment. Will it be okay to store the bike there under a cover for the winter? Or should I look at paying $50 bucks/month to park it in heated garage?

Thanks in advance!
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #18499
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question for ya'll. I ride a 2013 Triumph Scrambler and live in Boston. As the winter approaches, I am trying to figure out what to do about storing my motorcycle in the winter. I have a spot in a parking garage where I could park the bike for free, but it is one of the garage buildings and NOT closed to the environment. Will it be okay to store the bike there under a cover for the winter? Or should I look at paying $50 bucks/month to park it in heated garage?

Thanks in advance!
What, you don't have a spare bedroom? Seriously, temperature will have no effect on the bike, but sun, rain, and wind-blown dust and sand will. I would make sure it is clean and fully serviced for storage then find a place that is as protected as you can find. Then cover it with either a cycle shelter or a good cover. My preference would be for something that fully encloses the bike to keep out the stray cat or mouse.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #18500
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

HID Lights

Anyone had much success fitting an HID lamp into the stock light assembly? Opinions seem to vary on the usefulness of this mod. Would I be better off adding some LED aux lights?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #18501
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
I snuck on this glorious day and I was rewarded with some beautiful sites and roads.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #18502
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Beautiful pics
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #18503
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Anyone had much success fitting an HID lamp into the stock light assembly? Opinions seem to vary on the usefulness of this mod. Would I be better off adding some LED aux lights?
I don't know if you (i.e. in Canada) get the same useless headlight lens as we got here to your south. Owners in England and Europe have reported some success in changing the light source but here .... not so much the case. The lens is of course an odd size that seems to be made in a useful version by nobody. If, as I expect you are stuck with the same lens we are, aux lights may be your best choice. If you get a useful lens, tell me where to line up to get one.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #18504
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I don't know if you (i.e. in Canada) get the same useless headlight lens as we got here to your south. Owners in England and Europe have reported some success in changing the light source but here .... not so much the case. The lens is of course an odd size that seems to be made in a useful version by nobody. If, as I expect you are stuck with the same lens we are, aux lights may be your best choice. If you get a useful lens, tell me where to line up to get one.

Bruce
I was under the impression the the stock lens is the 5 3/4" size that was used on a lot of cars with dual headlights back during the 60's & 70's and that it was also the same size as the headlight in the current Harley Sportster -- am I wrong on this?

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #18505
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I was under the impression the the stock lens is the 5 3/4" size that was used on a lot of cars with dual headlights back during the 60's & 70's and that it was also the same size as the headlight in the current Harley Sportster -- am I wrong on this?
Yes. It's a real oddball. I believe its 5 1/4". Nothing fits. You have to replace the whole bucket.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #18506
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Yes. It's a real oddball. I believe its 5 1/4". Nothing fits. You have to replace the whole bucket.
And the reason the Scrambler 'bucket' is so deep is to fit a pile of electrical crap inside. You either need the depth or you have to go bigger in diameter. I wanted a headlight assembly from a Bonne as it would be a relatively easy swap but my heart stopped when I started adding up oem component prices.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #18507
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, that's my problem. It doesn't seem like something worth spending big bucks on but it's hard to avoid. It needs to be better but the options as I see them are $$ for a new bucket or try HID for $100. If that doesn't do it I'm out that money plus easily $200 more for some auxiliary lights.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #18508
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great shots, looks like it was a great ride. I don't own a Scrambler but this forum (and especially this thread) makes me want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
I snuck on this glorious day and I was rewarded with some beautiful sites and roads.

Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #18509
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
Great shots, looks like it was a great ride. I don't own a Scrambler but this forum (and especially this thread) makes me want one.
These bikes are so much fun. It takes what ever I through at it. I would rather take this out in the woods than my 800 XC. It is a lower center of gravity and feet down easy. Just right amount of power. I very seldom post anything technical just fun pics.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #18510
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
You just described what attracts me to them. Most modern dirt bikes look too tall and uncomfortable to me. The Scrambler looks about right for how I would be riding, fire roads and dirt trails, no hard core stuff. Not to mention it justs looks so darn cool. How much does it weigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
These bikes are so much fun. It takes what ever I through at it. I would rather take this out in the woods than my 800 XC. It is a lower center of gravity and feet down easy. Just right amount of power. I very seldom post anything technical just fun pics.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote