Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #18511
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 53
What attracted me to it was that each Triumph is unique to its owner. I can go ride with my buddies who have Scramblers and no bike is alike. The amount of mods you can do to the bike is endless. Love 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
You just described what attracts me to them. Most modern dirt bikes look too tall and uncomfortable to me. The Scrambler looks about right for how I would be riding, fire roads and dirt trails, no hard core stuff. Not to mention it justs looks so darn cool. How much does it weigh?
RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #18512
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
I had 4 headlights on my Bonnie. Stock, 2 bobber styles and finally a stock scrambler headlight. Scrambler headlight on bright is fine, low beam is hilariously dim. AUX lights make a word of difference. There's a vender here on ADV - Mondo Moto - that makes amazing AUX lights for under $200. I've bought 3 sets for various bikes.
When running the bobber lights I routed 80% of the wiring under the left side of the tank.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #18513
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugchewer View Post
These bikes are so much fun. It takes what ever I through at it. I would rather take this out in the woods than my 800 XC. It is a lower center of gravity and feet down easy. Just right amount of power.
I find your statement and comparison very interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if a Scrambler wouldn't be the KLR replacement I've been looking for. They are not really the same category but I'm thinking the Scrambler might do what I need better and be way cooler and more interesting at the same time.

I keep watching this thread and it's very inspiring. I've watched every decent off-road video I can find on Youtube etc. I've ridden the 800XC and it's another rather tall bike, though no doubt quite capable. The Scrambler hits a few of my targets,

1. Cool and interesting retro bike
2. Much smoother on the road and probably better 2 up. Hopefully much more stable than the KLR at speed. I need to test ride one. I've ridden the Thruxton but not a Scrambler.
3. Suitably capable on easy to medium dirt/jeep/forest/desert type roads.
4. Decent for commuting on.
5. Fun to take for a spin in the canyons.

I've still got a DRZ for the much more technical riding.

The limitations I see are;

1. Fuel range (not sure what's a reasonable expectation. About 2 gal less than KLR with similar mpg)
2. Slightly limited suspension travel (why it's lower, roughly 3" less than KLR)
3. Not sure about the weight in the dirt (500lbs curb weight listed on Triumph's site, about 65lb more than KLR) I wish it was closer to 450 lbs.

Hmm.......
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #18514
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I find your statement and comparison very interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if a Scrambler wouldn't be the KLR replacement I've been looking for. They are not really the same category but I'm thinking the Scrambler might do what I need better and be way cooler and more interesting at the same time.

I keep watching this thread and it's very inspiring. I've watched every decent off-road video I can find on Youtube etc. I've ridden the 800XC and it's another rather tall bike, though no doubt quite capable. The Scrambler hits a few of my targets,

1. Cool and interesting retro bike
2. Much smoother on the road and probably better 2 up. Hopefully much more stable than the KLR at speed. I need to test ride one. I've ridden the Thruxton but not a Scrambler.
3. Suitably capable on easy to medium dirt/jeep/forest/desert type roads.
4. Decent for commuting on.
5. Fun to take for a spin in the canyons.

I've still got a DRZ for the much more technical riding.

The limitations I see are;

1. Fuel range (not sure what's a reasonable expectation. About 2 gal less than KLR with similar mpg)
2. Slightly limited suspension travel (why it's lower, roughly 3" less than KLR)
3. Not sure about the weight in the dirt (500lbs curb weight listed on Triumph's site, about 65lb more than KLR) I wish it was closer to 450 lbs.

Hmm.......
I have never weighed mine but it is significantly less than the stock scram with stock mufflers. Those monstrosities weigh about 30 lbs and my mini cones are hardly noticeable. I am going to put new shocks on next year. As many have stated before it doesn't necessarilly excel at any one thing but it does most everything well enough. It just brings me back to the times when i would ride my cb360 on the back roads when I was a kid. It is manageable and fun to go "adventuring" in a more relaxed manner! The stock mufflers need to go and the rear shocks need to be replaced as well as front forks stiffened up as well. It is 51% my favorite bike over the 800 XC.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #18515
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,657
Talking about fire and forest roads....does anyone feel like the bike rattles and bits will start falling off when hitting some bumps? Did a few miles on the Carrizo plains and I thought the blinkers would rattle other off, should I be worried? Perhaps it was just the center stand making all the noise, but is there any prepping anyone has done to their scrams for forest roads? Got the skid plate and crash bars already.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #18516
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Side by side with my trade-in Bonnie.
Bout to ride her home now.

goodcat8 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 08:17 PM
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #18517
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Bought to ride her home now.

Sweet! Post up your thoughts after owning & riding the Bonnie.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #18518
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I see that picture at the top of this site. I am guessing it is a Royal Enfield loaded to the hilt with the latest in luxury items. Or at least the most luxury that can bestowed upon that mule. I think of the poster that wonders if the Scrambler has enough suspension, enough fuel mileage out of a tankful, enough power to drone down a lonely hiway, too much weight to make it a perfect anything. It is a perfect motorcycle to stand in the place of that Enfield, a perfect motorcycle to stand in place of a KLR, A perfect motorcycle to stand in place of any motorcycle that deems to call itself a daylong worthy mule. I recall seeing the camera man that was hired to shoot the film about going East for so many days with Ewin McGregor. When he thrashed his BMW and scored a pile of two stroke technology dating back to the Johnson administration. He was thrilled to get a mule that was far less intimidating, allowing him to feel and take control of the next sixty feet of his environment with little fanfare. He was not riding, cursing his small tank, or his short ground clearance, or his meek ponies. We have found the quintessential steed and when wonderers come by and seek, maybe that should read wanderers, seeking guidance as to why this bike, or how could this bike fill the bill. It brings a smile to my face to see the next post from a distant wonderer, and some time wanderer, tickled like a gigly school child about their new pony. Just buy one already
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #18519
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Triumph Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Sweet! Post up your thoughts after owning & riding the Bonnie.
Just got home. I'll do a little right up review after I put a few miles on her. Only 27 so far.
Thus far, she's my 3rd modern triumph, so there was no ("am I secretly going to hate this bike I just spent a lot of money on...") fears. It's amazing as expected. One thing I am surprised about is how much different a motorcycle it is from my bonnevilles. In a really good way. That's not a slam on the Bonnie either. I was expecting a taller Bonnie with a high pipe. It really isn't. The 270 crank motor is amazing. I was worried she'd feel strung out on the freeway, but zero issue. It's hard to explain but she feels longer in her stride when flying down the road. More like a long gallop as opposed to the Bonnie's quick step. If that makes any sense at all. The "revised" 2014 seat actually feels revised and better. You can feel a difference just sitting on it for the first time. The "revised" exhaust note is different. There's a nice gurgle. But, as with all stock triumph pipes IMO it sounds like a weak sewing machine. You'd never guess what these bikes can sound like with aftermarket pipes from the sound of the stockers. I ordered an Arrow exhaust that'll be here in 3 days.
The black finishes all over are great, the silver and red paint is beautiful. My biggest disappointment on my 2012 Bonnie mag wheel was the fuel mapping, was super twitchy on mine, not 990 ADV twitchy, but very on / off. I did get more or less used to it though. And the suspension. I don't know if it was the mags or what. But it was super brutal. Hagons on the rear and emulators up front made a huge difference. The scramblers mapping is perfect, and the suspenders are much better. Though I do plan on a Bitubo cartridge / spring setup on the front and may even go Ohlins on the rear.
Gonna go stare at her for a bit now.

Here's a few crappy cell pics.

goodcat8 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 10:01 PM
goodcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #18520
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
I see that picture at the top of this site. I am guessing it is a Royal Enfield loaded to the hilt with the latest in luxury items. Or at least the most luxury that can bestowed upon that mule. I think of the poster that wonders if the Scrambler has enough suspension, enough fuel mileage out of a tankful, enough power to drone down a lonely hiway, too much weight to make it a perfect anything. It is a perfect motorcycle to stand in the place of that Enfield, a perfect motorcycle to stand in place of a KLR, A perfect motorcycle to stand in place of any motorcycle that deems to call itself a daylong worthy mule. I recall seeing the camera man that was hired to shoot the film about going East for so many days with Ewin McGregor. When he thrashed his BMW and scored a pile of two stroke technology dating back to the Johnson administration. He was thrilled to get a mule that was far less intimidating, allowing him to feel and take control of the next sixty feet of his environment with little fanfare. He was not riding, cursing his small tank, or his short ground clearance, or his meek ponies. We have found the quintessential steed and when wonderers come by and seek, maybe that should read wanderers, seeking guidance as to why this bike, or how could this bike fill the bill. It brings a smile to my face to see the next post from a distant wonderer, and some time wanderer, tickled like a gigly school child about their new pony. Just buy one already
Feeling a little philosophical tonight? Ya I've ridden a Royal Enfield Classic also..... and Claudio's comments on the red devil were appropriate, witness the lightening of the load that followed later.

Quote:
Just got home. I'll do a little right up review after I put a few miles on her. Only 27 so far.
Thus far, she's my 3rd modern triumph, so there was no ("am I secretly going to hate this bike I just spent a lot of money on...") fears. It's amazing as expected. One thing I am surprised about is how much different a motorcycle it is from my bonnevilles. In a really good way. That's not a slam on the Bonnie either. I was expecting a taller Bonnie with a high pipe. It really isn't. The 270 crank motor is amazing. I was worried she'd feel strung out on the freeway, but zero issue. It's hard to explain but she feels longer in her stride when flying down the road. More like a long gallop as opposed to the Bonnie's quick step. If that makes any sense at all. The "revised" 2014 seat actually feels revised and better. You can feel a difference just sitting on it for the first time. The "revised" exhaust note is different. There's a nice gurgle. But, as with all stock triumph pipes IMO it sounds like a weak sewing machine. You'd never guess what these bikes can sound like with aftermarket pipes from the sound of the stockers. I ordered an Arrow exhaust that'll be here in 3 days.
The black finishes all over are great, the silver and red paint is beautiful. Gonna go stare at her for a bit now.
Thanks for a nice real world commentary. It's too bad we have the current super strict regs on sound etc. The Triumphs of old had a nice tone to them right off the showroom floor. I don't advocate the HD volume levels, but a nice tone is welcome and certainly enhances the experience. The 270 crank is a big part of my interest in the Scrambler.

Nice to hear about the seat upgrade, the 2014 in your paint scheme is looking very attractive to me.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #18521
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 321
Thumb

Looks bad ass goodcat... Scrambler has always been one of my favorites.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #18522
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Bout to ride her home now.
Congrats

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #18523
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
We'll said!
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #18524
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 141
danketchpel,

The Scrambler will do pretty much anything the KLR will do... As long as
- You slow down (less suspension travel)
- You bring some extra fuel

As a bonus, it will do it in style.

The down side? Not as many aftermarket support/options. At least when it comes to luggage racks, skid plates and the like.

-

As far as the pathetic headlight, I installed a HID (halogen high beam) kit and I'm happy with it. There was enough room in the bucket for the wires, ended up putting the ballast behind the rectifier.
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #18525
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Congrats goodcat8! Well said by all on these bikes that not only grow on us they become part of us. It is everything a motorcycle should be (in my mind) and nothing it shouldn't. Just enough limitation to know where you can and maybe should not go but manageable enough that we do it anyway.

Scram riders are unique in our own right so it is a good fit.