ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #18526
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XT Traveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I find your statement and comparison very interesting. I'm really starting to wonder if a Scrambler wouldn't be the KLR replacement I've been looking for. They are not really the same category but I'm thinking the Scrambler might do what I need better and be way cooler and more interesting at the same time.

I keep watching this thread and it's very inspiring. I've watched every decent off-road video I can find on Youtube etc. I've ridden the 800XC and it's another rather tall bike, though no doubt quite capable. The Scrambler hits a few of my targets,

1. Cool and interesting retro bike
2. Much smoother on the road and probably better 2 up. Hopefully much more stable than the KLR at speed. I need to test ride one. I've ridden the Thruxton but not a Scrambler.
3. Suitably capable on easy to medium dirt/jeep/forest/desert type roads.
4. Decent for commuting on.
5. Fun to take for a spin in the canyons.


I've still got a DRZ for the much more technical riding.

The limitations I see are;

1. Fuel range (not sure what's a reasonable expectation. About 2 gal less than KLR with similar mpg)
2. Slightly limited suspension travel (why it's lower, roughly 3" less than KLR)
3. Not sure about the weight in the dirt (500lbs curb weight listed on Triumph's site, about 65lb more than KLR) I wish it was closer to 450 lbs.

Hmm.......

Dan

Between our messages on this thread and the Stelvio thread I am beginning to think we are related I had an 09 KLR 650 which I used
for one up semi local adventure riding mostly gravel and some fire roads (I have a DRZ400s for the more technical stuff too). I also used it on a trip out west where we rode out and picked up the old Pony Express trail in St. Joseph Mo. We rode it and parts of the Oregon Trail (they overlap quite a bit) out to Bonneville for the Speed Trials and then rode the old Trans Continental Railroad bed back east and then on home through Colorado, etc. When not on gravel/dirt we did mostly two lane back roads. On that trip I decided that I would much rather have been on my Scrambler than the KLR and I sold the KLR when I got home. I considered modifying the Scrambler to give it more off-road capability (more ground clearance & longer travel suspension but ended up buying an 800 GS. When I got the GS I considered selling thew Scrambler and even put it up for sale for one day but then realized that I love riding it so much that i couldn't sell it. For what its worth I'd do a Scrambler over a KLR any day though I know a lot of folks who wouldn't.
__________________
XT Traveler -- "Lost Again On Purpose"

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #18527
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brian Keith's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oddometer: 194
Great insight on the different styled bikes. Thanks. And that sounds like an awesome ride. I know you weren't replying to me but you addressed a few questions I had as well. It sounds like the Scrambler is a good bike for an off-road rookie. I don't know why but this bike seems like it would almost force you into a more relaxed laid back ride which is what I'm looking for. I don't know if that makes sense, that isn't code for underpowered or suffers from inadequate suspension. It just seems to be the personality of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
Dan
Between our messages on this thread and the Stelvio thread I am beginning to think we are related I had an 09 KLR 650 which I used
for one up semi local adventure riding mostly gravel and some fire roads (I have a DRZ400s for the more technical stuff too). I also used it on a trip out west where we rode out and picked up the old Pony Express trail in St. Joseph Mo. We rode it and parts of the Oregon Trail (they overlap quite a bit) out to Bonneville for the Speed Trials and then rode the old Trans Continental Railroad bed back east and then on home through Colorado, etc. When not on gravel/dirt we did mostly two lane back roads. On that trip I decided that I would much rather have been on my Scrambler than the KLR and I sold the KLR when I got home. I considered modifying the Scrambler to give it more off-road capability (more ground clearance & longer travel suspension but ended up buying an 800 GS. When I got the GS I considered selling thew Scrambler and even put it up for sale for one day but then realized that I love riding it so much that i couldn't sell it. For what its worth I'd do a Scrambler over a KLR any day though I know a lot of folks who wouldn't.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #18528
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you
 
lrutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Deltona, FL
Oddometer: 1,202
Just picked up my new to me 06 this last weekend. Bought it without ever test riding a new Triumph. It has exceeded my expectations. It will end up being a great bike for me once I 'improve' it a bit. It's horribly lean right now as it's 100% stock. Easily corrected though.

Almost looks like a reunion sitting next to the 71 scrambler. 35 years between the 2 but you can see the family resemblance. Gotta love it.



__________________
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #18529
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
Just picked up my new to me 06 this last weekend. Bought it without ever test riding a new Triumph. It has exceeded my expectations. It will end up being a great bike for me once I 'improve' it a bit. It's horribly lean right now as it's 100% stock. Easily corrected though.

Almost looks like a reunion sitting next to the 71 scrambler. 35 years between the 2 but you can see the family resemblance. Gotta love it.


Congrats!

That is a very cool comparison photo. You realize how lean the original was and forget it was "only" a 650, I guess we all inflate a bit over the years, LOL.

Back to back riding comparison comments most welcome.
__________________
13 MG Stelvio NTX
09 Duc Sport Classic 1000
13 Husky Terra 650
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #18530
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you
 
lrutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Deltona, FL
Oddometer: 1,202
I certainly like the handling better on the 71. Likely due to the fact the bike is probably 75lbs lighter at least. Just feels better and would be superior off road.

but you can't beat the new one for power and smoothness that's for sure.

In normal operation the brakes oddly enough are about a wash. I have the conical brakes on the 71 tuned pretty good and they work fine for normal duty. I'd guess that would change with some hard braking.

For riding, the 71 is good to about 60. After that the engine is telling me it's going out of it's comfort zone. The new one will be much much better on the highway. For slow going the 71 is better as it's geared lower.

The 71 is also a LOT narrower. There is NO touching any pipes or heat shields with both feet down. Same can't be said for the 06.

Seat comfort.....toss up I'd say at this point. I've not put more than 30 minutes in the saddle on the 06 and not more than 1 hour at a time on the 71. Seat height is fairly comparable.

Old one has a proper tool kit :) proper kick start :) but no electric :/ kind of a toss up on that one as the 71 ALWASY starts within 2 kicks.

Maintenance is easier on the 71. valves are easy to do and no worrying about shims. Oil change is POC as is the filter (I retrofitted a Commando filter arrangement to both my old Triumphs).

What is amazing is that most people really don't realize the 06 is an 06. They think it's an old one. Went to my normal Tuesday bike night last night and several of the guys there thought I had shown up on the 71, not the 06. That was good for a laugh.

Oddly enough most of the best comments on the 06 revolved around the white piping on the seat. Everyone loved that ???

My preference will be to put a better coverage fender on the 06, more like the 71. Just to keep crap off the motor. I also plan on going some sort of solo seat (but likely not the Triumph one). I also want to adapt the cargo rack from a Honda CT 90 to it. That will provide superior carrying capabilities to anything offered on the after market and will complement the singe seat very well I think. I'll create a matching attachment on the left side to house a full tool kit, tire kit, and raid gear. It will be no bigger than the mufflers on the right side so it will look balanced.

But first have to get the tuning improved. It 's terribly lean. So de-snorkel, de baffle, gut the mufflers, rejet, AI removal, Evap removal.

And I seriously wonder if the carb heaters are really necessary?? Certainly don't have that on any of my other bikes and they work ok down to freezing. I don't see any real weight advantage to removing that so not sure yet. I'd also like to put an oil temp indicator somewhere on the bike. I really like that on my XR650L and would like to see where this sucker runs for temps.
__________________
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #18531
Donkey
adventureass
 
Donkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: north east
Oddometer: 760
got a new kaoko cruise control for scramblers FS here : kaoko-cruise-control---triumph-scrambler
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926482
__________________
1978 BMW R100, pre-war, vintage inspired custom, black & white
1985 BMW R80G/S Paris-Dakar
2010 Ducati Monster 1100S abs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #18532
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
I certainly like the handling better on the 71. Likely due to the fact the bike is probably 75lbs lighter at least. Just feels better and would be superior off road.

but you can't beat the new one for power and smoothness that's for sure.

In normal operation the brakes oddly enough are about a wash. I have the conical brakes on the 71 tuned pretty good and they work fine for normal duty. I'd guess that would change with some hard braking.

For riding, the 71 is good to about 60. After that the engine is telling me it's going out of it's comfort zone. The new one will be much much better on the highway. For slow going the 71 is better as it's geared lower.

The 71 is also a LOT narrower. There is NO touching any pipes or heat shields with both feet down. Same can't be said for the 06.

Seat comfort.....toss up I'd say at this point. I've not put more than 30 minutes in the saddle on the 06 and not more than 1 hour at a time on the 71. Seat height is fairly comparable.

Old one has a proper tool kit :) proper kick start :) but no electric :/ kind of a toss up on that one as the 71 ALWASY starts within 2 kicks.

Maintenance is easier on the 71. valves are easy to do and no worrying about shims. Oil change is POC as is the filter (I retrofitted a Commando filter arrangement to both my old Triumphs).

What is amazing is that most people really don't realize the 06 is an 06. They think it's an old one. Went to my normal Tuesday bike night last night and several of the guys there thought I had shown up on the 71, not the 06. That was good for a laugh.

Oddly enough most of the best comments on the 06 revolved around the white piping on the seat. Everyone loved that ???

My preference will be to put a better coverage fender on the 06, more like the 71. Just to keep crap off the motor. I also plan on going some sort of solo seat (but likely not the Triumph one). I also want to adapt the cargo rack from a Honda CT 90 to it. That will provide superior carrying capabilities to anything offered on the after market and will complement the singe seat very well I think. I'll create a matching attachment on the left side to house a full tool kit, tire kit, and raid gear. It will be no bigger than the mufflers on the right side so it will look balanced.

But first have to get the tuning improved. It 's terribly lean. So de-snorkel, de baffle, gut the mufflers, rejet, AI removal, Evap removal.

And I seriously wonder if the carb heaters are really necessary?? Certainly don't have that on any of my other bikes and they work ok down to freezing. I don't see any real weight advantage to removing that so not sure yet. I'd also like to put an oil temp indicator somewhere on the bike. I really like that on my XR650L and would like to see where this sucker runs for temps.
Very interesting write up, thanks.

I suspect the carb heaters are there to get the bike to run suitably well on super lean jetting.

I wanted to ask, are there any significant differences or design upgrades from 2009 to the current 2014 model? I want FI so that's the reason for the 2009 cutoff. It appears to be primarily paint scheme changes.
__________________
13 MG Stelvio NTX
09 Duc Sport Classic 1000
13 Husky Terra 650
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #18533
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XT Traveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post
Just picked up my new to me 06 this last weekend. Bought it without ever test riding a new Triumph. It has exceeded my expectations. It will end up being a great bike for me once I 'improve' it a bit. It's horribly lean right now as it's 100% stock. Easily corrected though.

Almost looks like a reunion sitting next to the 71 scrambler. 35 years between the 2 but you can see the family resemblance. Gotta love it.



Great pictures !!! The same but different !!! Enjoy them both !!!!

You are right about many people thinking the new twins are the old ones. I was riding with a friend of mine on his way home from just picking up his now 04' T100 and at a light a guy in a car yelled to him "nice Triumph in great shape -- how old is it?" My buddy replied "about 15 minutes". I'm sure the guy thought he was just being a wise ass.
__________________
XT Traveler -- "Lost Again On Purpose"

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #18534
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bugchewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Hills of Wyoming County, WNY maple syrup & cheese!
Oddometer: 401
OK Irutt, you have caused jealousy to rear its ugly head! Two nice rides.
__________________
It seems humans would rather die than change or admit that they are mistaken - Richard Rohr
Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #18535
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XT Traveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Keith View Post
Great insight on the different styled bikes. Thanks. And that sounds like an awesome ride. I know you weren't replying to me but you addressed a few questions I had as well. It sounds like the Scrambler is a good bike for an off-road rookie. I don't know why but this bike seems like it would almost force you into a more relaxed laid back ride which is what I'm looking for. I don't know if that makes sense, that isn't code for underpowered or suffers from inadequate suspension. It just seems to be the personality of the bike.
You are right about the Scrambler lending itself to a "relaxed" ride. Without a doubt you can hustle the Scrambler along quite well on winding back roads but more often than not you find yourself just kind of meandering along at a comfortable pace and enjoying the ride and the scenery.

Off road -- the rougher the terrain the slower you better go but on gravel road you can bust along at a pretty good pace "flat tracking" through the turns and it is a real hoot !!!
__________________
XT Traveler -- "Lost Again On Purpose"

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #18536
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Brian Keith's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oddometer: 194
Thanks, sounds like the perfect bike for the trails around here (for me anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
You are right about the Scrambler lending itself to a "relaxed" ride. Without a doubt you can hustle the Scrambler along quite well on winding back roads but more often than not you find yourself just kind of meandering along at a comfortable pace and enjoying the ride and the scenery.

Off road -- the rougher the terrain the slower you better go but on gravel road you can bust along at a pretty good pace "flat tracking" through the turns and it is a real hoot !!!
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #18537
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Av8rPaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nevada
Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrutt View Post

And I seriously wonder if the carb heaters are really necessary?? Certainly don't have that on any of my other bikes and they work ok down to freezing. I don't see any real weight advantage to removing that so not sure yet. I'd also like to put an oil temp indicator somewhere on the bike. I really like that on my XR650L and would like to see where this sucker runs for temps.
If you ride in cool wet weather, the carbs can build up ice in the venturis. My KTM 950 Adventure was a pre-carb heat model and riding in aforementioned conditions they would ice up.
__________________
Paul
2012 Triumph Scrambler
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #18538
ducnek
Misadventurer
 
ducnek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Rooster Poot Tennessee
Oddometer: 991
So scrambler guys whats the general opinion on riding a scrambler 2 up? I will be renting a scrambler the week around xmas in Florida, and want to take the wife along. I have the option to swap it to a Bonnie, but I have always wanted a scrambler, and really want to do the extended test ride on it.

How does the high pipe effect the passenger seating? I don't want to be constantly worried about inner thigh burn for the wife. She is an experienced rider herself, not a noob on pillion by any means. Looks like there is a factory heat shield that should be pretty effective, we will be doing easy back roads and light hard packed county roads.

Can't freaking wait!
__________________
Calmer than you are.
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #18539
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
So scrambler guys whats the general opinion on riding a scrambler 2 up? I will be renting a scrambler the week around xmas in Florida, and want to take the wife along. I have the option to swap it to a Bonnie, but I have always wanted a scrambler, and really want to do the extended test ride on it.

How does the high pipe effect the passenger seating? I don't want to be constantly worried about inner thigh burn for the wife. She is an experienced rider herself, not a noob on pillion by any means. Looks like there is a factory heat shield that should be pretty effective, we will be doing easy back roads and light hard packed county roads.

Can't freaking wait!
Who did you rent a Scrambler from? Didn't know this was possible...
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #18540
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Camarillo, CA
Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
You are right about the Scrambler lending itself to a "relaxed" ride. Without a doubt you can hustle the Scrambler along quite well on winding back roads but more often than not you find yourself just kind of meandering along at a comfortable pace and enjoying the ride and the scenery.

Off road -- the rougher the terrain the slower you better go but on gravel road you can bust along at a pretty good pace "flat tracking" through the turns and it is a real hoot !!!
I have seen some pretty intense riding videos on the Scrambler by Pro riders. That certainly represents the far end of the spectrum to me. I really don't have interest in busting burms or catching air too much anymore. I like the idea of exploring at a fun pace, or just putting along when you feel like it, but still being able to put in 200+ miles without feeling like you need physical therapy later. I could do this on many different bikes but the Scrambler adds that very cool vintage flair to the whole thing, yet is up to date in quality of build and general technology.

I get much more excited looking at the Classic twins than most of the modern bikes. That's what is missing in my garage now. My '74 Commando is gone, my '82 BMW R100RS is gone, I don't have anything with that vintage attraction now, and honestly I don't really want a true vintage Triumph. They are nice, I've ridden them, but as pointed out earlier they start to get out of their comfort zone in current freeway traffic and you don't "really" want to put in 200+ miles during a day's ride on one.
__________________
13 MG Stelvio NTX
09 Duc Sport Classic 1000
13 Husky Terra 650
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014