Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #18541
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Who did you rent a Scrambler from? Didn't know this was possible...

Modern classics motorcycle rental in Orlando
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #18542
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
So scrambler guys whats the general opinion on riding a scrambler 2 up? I will be renting a scrambler the week around xmas in Florida, and want to take the wife along. I have the option to swap it to a Bonnie, but I have always wanted a scrambler, and really want to do the extended test ride on it.

How does the high pipe effect the passenger seating? I don't want to be constantly worried about inner thigh burn for the wife. She is an experienced rider herself, not a noob on pillion by any means. Looks like there is a factory heat shield that should be pretty effective, we will be doing easy back roads and light hard packed county roads.

Can't freaking wait!
Before the Scram I own a BMW R80 G/S and a R80RT. My wife is very happy with the Scram, no complain.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #18543
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
So scrambler guys whats the general opinion on riding a scrambler 2 up? I will be renting a scrambler the week around xmas in Florida, and want to take the wife along. I have the option to swap it to a Bonnie, but I have always wanted a scrambler, and really want to do the extended test ride on it.

How does the high pipe effect the passenger seating? I don't want to be constantly worried about inner thigh burn for the wife. She is an experienced rider herself, not a noob on pillion by any means. Looks like there is a factory heat shield that should be pretty effective, we will be doing easy back roads and light hard packed county roads.

Can't freaking wait!
Well my fiance and I rode 2-up from Toronto to California and back on my scram. Both of us were really comfortable for the most part. The only fatigue we received was from wearing backpacks, and during heavy crosswind. None of which were due to the seat. My bike also has the Arrow 2-1, no issues with her getting burned or uncomfortable with regards to that either. Hope that helps!
RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #18544
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
rode the rig into to town for the first time yesterday. Handled well and plenty of power. Went by the powder coaters to get a quote on matching the sidecar to the bike. Pulled the rear wheel off to change the tire. Discovered the rear brake pads worn to a nubbin. Ordered brakes. Will need to check to see if a puck is stuck or if they were just used up....

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #18545
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Triumph Scrambler

Handlebars
Possibly a stupid question.
Stockers are 7/8. Does this mean I couldn't swap to 1 inch bars due to the bar controls. I've mounted larger diameter bars on other bikes by swapping out the bar mounts, but they were pro tapers that tapered back to 7/8.

I found these bars I really like, but if they remain 1 inch threw out I'm assuming none if the switch housings and throttle tube would fit right?

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/01/25/...y-burly-brand/

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #18546
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Stockers are 7/8. Does this mean I couldn't swap to 1 inch bars due to the bar controls. I've mounted larger diameter bars on other bikes by swapping out the bar mounts, but they were pro tapers that tapered back to 7/8.

I found these bars I really like, but if they remain 1 inch threw out I'm assuming none if the switch housings and throttle tube would fit right?

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/01/25/...y-burly-brand/
I believe all the Scramblers came with 7/8" bars - I think you're out of luck if the bars are 1"...and if they were tapers, you'd have to address how you'd bolt them to the clamps which are for 7/8" bars - no doubt someone here has changed out the clamps and fitted tapers. Just get some 7/8" bars...
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #18547
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
I believe all the Scramblers came with 7/8" bars - I think you're out of luck if the bars are 1"...and if they were tapers, you'd have to address how you'd bolt them to the clamps which are for 7/8" bars - no doubt someone here has changed out the clamps and fitted tapers. Just get some 7/8" bars...
Figured. Yeah I'd swap the bar mounts as well when doing bar swaps. The above bars reach 6 inches high, which I really like. Just can't find them in 7/8!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #18548
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Figured. Yeah I'd swap the bar mounts as well when doing bar swaps. The above bars reach 6 inches high, which I really like. Just can't find them in 7/8!
Those are awesome, please post here if you find some with that much rise in 7/8.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #18549
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
I am betting that they are not tapered. They mention using them on Harleys which come with 1" bars AND controls so unless you want to switch everything out I think you need to keep looking.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #18550
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Those are awesome, please post here if you find some with that much rise in 7/8.
Came across these I might try

http://www.rsiracing.com/CHROMOLY-RI...BARS_p_33.html
Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #18551
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I have seen some pretty intense riding videos on the Scrambler by Pro riders. That certainly represents the far end of the spectrum to me. I really don't have interest in busting burms or catching air too much anymore. I like the idea of exploring at a fun pace, or just putting along when you feel like it, but still being able to put in 200+ miles without feeling like you need physical therapy later. I could do this on many different bikes but the Scrambler adds that very cool vintage flair to the whole thing, yet is up to date in quality of build and general technology.

I get much more excited looking at the Classic twins than most of the modern bikes. That's what is missing in my garage now. My '74 Commando is gone, my '82 BMW R100RS is gone, I don't have anything with that vintage attraction now, and honestly I don't really want a true vintage Triumph. They are nice, I've ridden them, but as pointed out earlier they start to get out of their comfort zone in current freeway traffic and you don't "really" want to put in 200+ miles during a day's ride on one.

I think the Scrambler would slot in real nicely between your Stelvio and your DRZ

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500

XT Traveler screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 02:12 AM
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #18552
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:

Can't freaking wait!
The Scrambler will be pretty much just as comfortable as the Bonneville. My wife and I do two up on our Scrambler quite often. The right passenger peg sticks out 2 or 3 inches further than the left one to help the passenger stay away from the pipes but it has never been an issue for us. Oh yeah the stock shocks are kind of sucky particularly two up but the Bonneville is no better and the shocks are tolerable. So ENJOY !!!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500

XT Traveler screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 05:41 AM
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #18553
wandrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Signed the paperwork on a red and silver 2014 Scrambler yesterday afternoon, it's still in the box, should be ready tomorrow (Saturday) for pickup. I'm pretty excited. The Manassas dealer also had a blue one on the floor, to me, it looked more like a shade of purple, but it could have been the lighting..don't know. It's supposed to be 60 degrees and mostly sunny tomorrow so I should be able to log a few miles.

A fan of anything with two wheels and an engine.
wandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #18554
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrob View Post
Signed the paperwork on a red and silver 2014 Scrambler yesterday afternoon, it's still in the box, should be ready tomorrow (Saturday) for pickup. I'm pretty excited. The Manassas dealer also had a blue one on the floor, to me, it looked more like a shade of purple, but it could have been the lighting..don't know. It's supposed to be 60 degrees and mostly sunny tomorrow so I should be able to log a few miles.
Awesome wandrob, great bike and great color! I'm sure you'll love it, oh and welcome to the asylum!
2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #18555
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:

Those are interesting, but I'm not as confident in the look as the others. But they are cheap enough to try I suppose.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote