Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #1861
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
Ordered new TOR's today.
I'm very happy w/ the way my bike starts/runs/performs in stock condition. Not really looking for performance improvements but welcome anything that might be gained. Ordered the TOR's for sound quality.
From what I understand, will need to re-jet when TOR's are installed. My Garmin hand-held GPS says 620 feet above sea level. Any suggestions on baseline start for rejetting ? Will also be ordering AI removal kit.
Thanks In Advance.
Might be a case of "ride by the seat of your pants" for a while until you note where it feels a bit lean etc, (or whack it on a dyno, or fit up a fuel air gauge).
I run TORS, (fitted by the shop at purchase) and I don't think it needed new mains, (can ask next time i'm there), Heaps of discussion on Triumph Rat net about it.
Mine is a little weak in the higher rev range, but not to the risk of engine damage, and I wont mess with the air box, as it does a great job keeping the dust/water out, (it's had a wee swim once), You'll love the exhaust note
Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1862
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,519
So I put the Triumph crash bars/dresser bars on today and I have to say I was a little disappointed with them especially compared to the SW Motech bars I put on my Tiger.

I was a little distressed to learn that the bottom part of the bar doesn't connect to anything! They seem fairly sturdy now that they are installed but I could see them bending pretty easily upon tipover.

BTW these things were a huge pain in the ass to install. The holes where they attach to the downtube brace did not line up right. I finally got it done by doing it the reverse of how the instructions say to do it, i.e. get the downtube bolts in first, then deal with the upper bolt. Didn't have any stupid alignment problems like that with the SW Motech bars on the Tiger. Just sayin'.

Also looks like they don't stick out enough to save the shifter in a tipover either. I guess they will provide some protection to the engine cases but hopefully I won't have to find out their limitations.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #1863
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
I certainly haven't been impressed by anything I've read about the Triumph Scrambler crash bars, and posting by "The Jerk" is only one more confirmation. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of aftermarket sliders, or even hand guards. I think hand guards might look a bit funny on the Scrambler (not consistent with the retro syle), but the right hand guard on my Ducati Multistrada has been a savior in the two times the Multi's been down -- in both instances the handguard took almost all of the damage.

I'm waiting on delivery of my Scrambler and would love to hear any suggestions. I'm like "The Jerk" in that I hope to never have to see my Scrambler go down, but my experience tells me stuff happens. And, in gravel and dirt, where I expect to take the Scrambler on occassion, it's even more likely to happen.

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #1864
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
I certainly haven't been impressed by anything I've read about the Triumph Scrambler crash bars, and posting by "The Jerk" is only one more confirmation. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of aftermarket sliders, or even hand guards. I think hand guards might look a bit funny on the Scrambler (not consistent with the retro syle), but the right hand guard on my Ducati Multistrada has been a savior in the two times the Multi's been down -- in both instances the handguard took almost all of the damage.

I've heard (maybe in another forum, not sure) that there is a mod for the crash bars that strengthens them up quite a bit, involves adding a bit of tubing to connect the two sides together underneath. I'm having a hard time finding any details though but when I do I'll post them here. I don't actually have my Scrambler yet, waiting for it to show up at the dealer, so without it in front of me I'm not exactly sure of the weak point in the guards...
scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1865
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
SCOTTDC
is correct these images were online until TNR imploded.
They will be reposted on http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
I was a little distressed to learn that the bottom part of the bar doesn't connect to anything!

You are right to be concerned

Quote:
They seem fairly sturdy now that they are installed but I could see them bending pretty easily upon tipover.

Adding a spacer bar -easily made-up at a metal workshop.

This does work as I can attest to, rather too many times.

Quote:
Also looks like they don't stick out enough to save the shifter in a tipover either.
I guess they will provide some protection to the engine cases but hopefully I won't have to find out their limitations.
They do not and you will lose shift knob/riding pegs/rear brake pedal etc.
They are engine casing guards only and like you, I was not overwhelmed by their appearance.
After powder coating they do "visually disappear" but they are not wide enough to protect pegs & levers.

Quote:
I certainly haven't been impressed by anything I've read about the Triumph Scrambler crash bars, and posting by "The Jerk" is only one more confirmation. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of aftermarket sliders, or even hand guards. I think hand guards might look a bit funny on the Scrambler (not consistent with the retro syle)
I have taken mine off-road many times and it has been over where the bars and hand guards have saved me more than a few times.

The hand guards have been a real lever & bar saver.
I have Acerbis handguards on it but was only able to get these large ones
- I would have prefered a medium sized set if they were available here in Thailand.
You may also want to consider a bashplate - I am using a Thunderbikes' one which gives some side protection.
You do however need to cut out the lower circle to fit with the engine guards.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron

Rhodie screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 01:15 PM
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #1866
ksnak
Duc Gal

Thank you for that info, Rhodie. I may seriously consider the hand guards and see about the possibility of getting the engine bars modified if I go the Triumph route. I thought I saw someplace too where someone had engine bars by an aftermarket company that worked. Will keep looking . . . .

Hey ScottDC I see that you are in Wassilla, AK. I live in Anchorage. I'm waiting on my Tangerine/Silver Scrambler from TMS. Are you by any chance the person also waiting on on a Tangerine/Silver one? I put my deposit down going on two weeks ago now and they mentioned they were waiting for one to arrive that someone else ordered before me. In a way I hope you aren't the same person because if you are that means it's taking a very long time for the bikes to come in.

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #1867
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Hey ScottDC I see that you are in Wassilla, AK. I live in Anchorage. I'm waiting on my Tangerine/Silver Scrambler from TMS. Are you by any chance the person also waiting on on a Tangerine/Silver one? I put my deposit down going on two weeks ago now and they mentioned they were waiting for one to arrive that someone else ordered before me. In a way I hope you aren't the same person because if you are that means it's taking a very long time for the bikes to come in.
Heh, small world! I ordered a green one actually but they mentioned that someone had just ordered a tangerine one before me. I stopped by there today and they had a tangerine one all ready to go out in the lot and I'm guessing that must be the one right before you. I was told they are getting bikes from Triumph in about 15 days from ordering so it's not too bad of a wait.

scottdc screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 06:08 PM
scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #1868
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
umm has anyone heard of a 2009 version of the Scrambler known as the "Bud Ekins" model?

http://www.motofoto.cc/bud_ekins.htm

I just saw the news next to the ekins jacket picture at the link above.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291222

Krahe screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 06:47 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #1869
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
SCOTTDC

The hand guards have been a real lever & bar saver.
I have Acerbis handguards on it but was only able to get these large ones
- I would have prefered a medium sized set if they were available here in Thailand.
You may also want to consider a bashplate - I am using a Thunderbikes' one which gives some side protection.
You do however need to cut out the lower circle to fit with the engine guards.

OMG!!! That bike is crazy hot! What kind of exhaust is that, or did the whole bike come in all black. Wish they offered that color here.
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #1870
ksnak
Duc Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdc
Heh, small world! I ordered a green one actually but they mentioned that someone had just ordered a tangerine one before me. I stopped by there today and they had a tangerine one all ready to go out in the lot and I'm guessing that must be the one right before you. I was told they are getting bikes from Triumph in about 15 days from ordering so it's not too bad of a wait.
Small world indeed! Thanks for the info about the tangerine one you saw today. Too bad I missed it, but that must also mean mine is not far behind. I actually agonized a bit and went back and forth about whether to go with the green or the tangerine. With only pictures to go by, I thought that the green is very good looking, but in the end I thought the tangerine had the rather retro cool look, and it's the new color for 2008, so went with it.

I hope yours is coming soon! Maybe see you on the road sometime. I've seen only two Scramblers on the roads up here thus far this summer, though no doubt there are more out there.

BTW -- Sorry I mispelled Wasilla in my earlier post. Typo.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #1871
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Winter has finally arrived with a vengeance. just completed a 2 day run of approx 700km , wet roads all the way & heavy rain all the second day
Th bike didnt miss,burp or fart once unlike my last extended ride in heavy rain ,so I guess my black neoprene gloop experiment worked

Couple of shots once back in AK

Weird mirrors , Huh !!

Have fitted hand guards & heated grips , along with water proof gloves, I had warm toasty hands all the way, I am now totally converted to heated grips

The mirrors wont be everyones cup of tea , really meant for riding on the gravel. Give a great view of my arse as opposed to std which give a great view of my elbows. Fortunately I am able to tell my arse from my elbow.
Std mirrors bolt back on in 2 mins
I'm kinda partial to them , gives the bike a different more business like feel somehow. Not so good for commuting

That white box is my GPS lunchbox, works well when exploring the back roads. Mt mates GPS tells me where we are but this works great for planning a route when we go exploring

Sorry about the picture size but I'll work it out soon

'We learn as we go'

trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #1872
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,534
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
I have been riding the preproduction models without a longer hose.
A longer hose would be a neater solution that will be necessary if you want it tethered to the swing arm guide as with the standard setup - we are looking at manufacturing a longer guide "tube" for this as well.

We are also looking into a decent set of off-road pegs, oil-cooler guard and large lugage rack option off the solo seat set-up.
Maybe a larger touring tank and heightened lengthened front mud-guard.

What we are conscious of is only producing items of top rugged quality for like minded riders.

Will keep you updated.
I'd be interested in the rear brake mod Rhodie and be interested in seeing your other stuff too
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #1873
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs2k
OMG!!! That bike is crazy hot! What kind of exhaust is that, or did the whole bike come in all black. Wish they offered that color here.
Exhaust is from Thunderbikes in NZ - available thru www.newbonneville.com
see http://www.newbonneville.com/html/tb...r_exhaust.html
Also Thunderbikes Stage 1 cam helps immeasurably.

Bike originally blue & white - a few mods since.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #1874
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
trust me, you big nancy boy!

Heated hand grips. You big batty boy! (actually, I just want to know Brand, and where you got them), it's bloody chilly in cow central, and I sick of cold hands also. (take me to the April sun in Cuba).......
Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #1875
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Daytona from Motomail just over $100 but should be in most bike shops.
Yeah I know , I always thought they were for girlie boys. A trip around the Coro loop & down to Whakatane had me sold . Stick them on her indoors bike as well = Huge brownie points.The missus is wrapt with hers.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote