Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #19291
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
Does anybody know if the engines from a Speedmaster/America would fit into the Scrambler as a replacement?

I'm simply asking about physical fitment and any major differences, not necessarily minor tuning etc.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #19292
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Does anybody know if the engines from a Speedmaster/America would fit into the Scrambler as a replacement?

I'm simply asking about physical fitment and any major differences, not necessarily minor tuning etc.
I don't see why they wouldn't bolt in. The sprocket cover would likely be different, as would the intake manifolds.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #19293
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 99
Thanks for the replys & color breakdown. I've got red & black covered, also got a mostly white DR350 & gray DR650. So an army green scrambler would complement the Jeep Rubicon. I ride mostly forest roads & 2 lane hiway between AZ, Utah, N.M., Colo & Baja. Usually solo. Not a racer anymore, leave that to the younger set (check out Taylor Robert#33 enduro & off road pro;-). Got my eye on a Black 2010 w/ low miles, but would have to throw on some blue or green highlights. Has some farkles & arrow exhst - so, what's it worth (yea that's subjective!)? BTW when did they start FI ?
Were the early fuelies dialed in OK? Better than BMW did the early oilheads?
Thnx. Ric.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #19294
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Air Hd View Post
Thanks for the replys & color breakdown. I've got red & black covered, also got a mostly white DR350 & gray DR650. So an army green scrambler would complement the Jeep Rubicon. I ride mostly forest roads & 2 lane hiway between AZ, Utah, N.M., Colo & Baja. Usually solo. Not a racer anymore, leave that to the younger set (check out Taylor Robert#33 enduro & off road pro;-). Got my eye on a Black 2010 w/ low miles, but would have to throw on some blue or green highlights. Has some farkles & arrow exhst - so, what's it worth (yea that's subjective!)? BTW when did they start FI ?
Thnx. Ric.
I like the Army green ones the best, but I'm biased. A few people had some issues with the ECU tune on the early bikes, saying if the battery dropped below a certain voltage, it wouldn't attempt to start. But I don't think it was ever verified. I have a 2010, which I believe is the 2nd year for the FI. Personally, I think the FI is very well done. The "choke" knob actually changes settings to make it easier to start in cold temps, making it the same as on the carbs. There's even a working idle adjustment thumbscrews.

Price... yeah, that's subjective. For a stock '10, I'd imagine it'd be in the 6 and 7 grand range? Depending on the farkles, that price may change a lot, or a little. But I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at pricing bikes.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #19295
syverter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Air Hd View Post
Thnx. Ric.
Over the summer I picked up a black 2010 scram with 7k miles, arrow exhaust, power outlet, tachometer, solo seat with rack, and stock seat. Price was 7200 if that helps
syverter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #19296
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I went with a friend this weekend to pick up a 2011 with 101 miles not he clock (owner was just too busy to ride), no farkles whatsoever, $7k. In green
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #19297
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Can't deny the facts!

Anyways, anyone know how many spare amps are available on the bike? I have a Montana, two GoPros, and maybe thinking about getting a third camera too. Is it possible to have them all powered off the bike at the same time?

I run Gerbings heated jacket liner and Powerlet glove liners at full power no problem. Total is something like 110 watts. I turn the heat down in the city or at lower speeds though just in case.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #19298
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
Frog, you are saying some pretty controversial things on the Scrambler Cult Forum.

I owned a Bonneville and now run a Scrambler. The Scram has TPUSA 904 BB kit, 813 cams and flatside carbs. Maybe your extensive experience didn't include any with performance upgrades. Mine moves down the road in a pretty respectable fashion for a beginner's bike.

I can say that in stock form none of the Triumph vertical twins I've owned and rode had awe inspiring performance compared to most bikes with more modern technology. My buddy's 600 Multistrata Ducati could probably play whoopass on just about any of the Triumph mod classic line.

Part of the fun with these bikes (in my opinion) is to invest something of yourself into them and see what they can do.
I own both a Scrambler and a Thruxton and love them both! They are different but the same -- the 360 engine in the Thruxton has the classic Triumph sound while the Scrambler has more of a VTwin kind of character -- it sound more like my Ducati Pantah than my Thruxton. The Scrambler has a more torquey kind of power while the Thruxton pulls a little better in the higher revs. For me they are both comfortable and I can ride them all day. Not sure what the big deal is -- if you want a Scrambler with a 360 engine -- great ! -- if you want a Thruxton with a 270 engine great ! We gatta do what WE like. Oh and just to keep things in perspective neither of them are actually fast -- a 675 will suck their headlights out BUT they sre as hell are enjoyable to ride !!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #19299
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Frog, you are saying some pretty controversial things on the Scrambler Cult Forum.

I owned a Bonneville and now run a Scrambler. The Scram has TPUSA 904 BB kit, 813 cams and flatside carbs. Maybe your extensive experience didn't include any with performance upgrades. Mine moves down the road in a pretty respectable fashion for a beginner's bike.

I can say that in stock form none of the Triumph vertical twins I've owned and rode had awe inspiring performance compared to most bikes with more modern technology. My buddy's 600 Multistrata Ducati could probably play whoopass on just about any of the Triumph mod classic line.

Part of the fun with these bikes (in my opinion) is to invest something of yourself into them and see what they can do.
I'm not aiming at causing controversy, just read my comment to Bugchewer.

It is true that I haven't had the pleasure of road-testing a bike as extensively tuned as yours: here in Spain vehicles have to undergo a periodical roadworthiness test that pretty much rules out modifications like that, unless you want to re-homologate the bike, which is an expensive, time- and patience/sanity-consuming procedure. Hell, you can't even put different-spec tyres on a bike because they'll deem your bike unroadworthy!

Engine-wise, my Thruxie only has rejetted carbs, a UNI air filter and Norman Hyde exhausts, but I still manage to show a clean pair of heels to some of the local weekend warrior sportbike crowd on my local mountain roads (although perhaps that's due to superior roadcraft, without wanting to sound too pretentious).

P.S. Wouldn't mind having a go on your fire-breathing Scram!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #19300
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the power characteristics with that 904/813 setup? Did you do any head work or remap the timing also?

I am planning to build a 270 crank EFI engine using the 813 cams and possibly the 904 kit with some head work.

I'd like to hear all you can say about your setup.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #19301
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogAndTrumpet View Post
.....here in Spain vehicles have to undergo a periodical roadworthiness test that pretty much rules out modifications like that, unless you want to re-homologate the bike, which is an expensive, time- and patience/sanity-consuming procedure. Hell, you can't even put different-spec tyres on a bike because they'll deem your bike unroadworthy!

Man that sucks.

It sure makes choosing a bike with a stock configuration you like paramount.

Can't even change out the tires!!! Hell half the OEM tires are more unsafe than the replacement options.

I thought things in Kalifornia were jacked up, but that's just nutz.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #19302
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 293
Hey, No worries, Frog and T. I just enjoy talking about bikes so all is good. I always try to keep it friendly. That's why the !
I'd have a Thrux too if my old wrists could handle it!
Best to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogAndTrumpet View Post
I'm not aiming at causing controversy, just read my comment to Bugchewer.

RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #19303
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Man that sucks.

It sure makes choosing a bike with a stock configuration you like paramount.

Can't even change out the tires!!! Hell half the OEM tires are more unsafe than the replacement options.

I thought things in Kalifornia were jacked up, but that's just nutz.
You can change tyres as long as you keep the same dimensions. But the problems begin if you want to put wider tyres on a Thruxie, or full knobblies on a Scram, for instance.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #19304
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I own both a Scrambler and a Thruxton and love them both! They are different but the same -- the 360 engine in the Thruxton has the classic Triumph sound while the Scrambler has more of a VTwin kind of character -- it sound more like my Ducati Pantah than my Thruxton. The Scrambler has a more torquey kind of power while the Thruxton pulls a little better in the higher revs. For me they are both comfortable and I can ride them all day. Not sure what the big deal is -- if you want a Scrambler with a 360 engine -- great ! -- if you want a Thruxton with a 270 engine great ! We gatta do what WE like. Oh and just to keep things in perspective neither of them are actually fast -- a 675 will suck their headlights out BUT they sre as hell are enjoyable to ride !!
Could not agree more ( I have a 06 Scram & a 09 Thrux) & I love them both & yes they are different but both fun

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #19305
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,581
flasher performance

Not the best title, I have the flashers / lighting kit that New Bonnie sell but wondering if anyone have improved the lighting performance of the flashers. Here in Australia with our all year round sun they are hard to see. The globe is a 12v 24w & is dull compaired to the OEM & they have a 12v 21w globe.
The flashers from new bonnie have the globe at right angles & no reflector, has anyone polished the inside of the housing or added foil to reflect the light

This is the style of light

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote