Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #1951
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Great bike for aussie conditions, I like having the bigger front wheel ober the Bonnie, and the extra off-road confidence (even if its mostly in my mind) of the Scrambler
I'm pretty sure the Bonnie and Scrambler have identical wheels; it's the Thrux that has a smaller front wheel (18").
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #1952
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
Hey Mista Vern, What is the definition of "really shitty mileage?"

Just curious. I have heard that the Scrambler doesn't win on the gas mileage front, although I imagine it's gotta be better than my Ford Explorer , and just wondering now what to really expect.
At first mine got in the high 30's but now it is around 50 mpg at 55 - 60 mph on flat ground, so all is good. I weigh 250 with gear so it's hauling quite a bit of weight. I noticed that the mpg goes down pretty quick at high speeds due to all the drag.

FWIW, I was looking at some of the other brands posts for mpg, and the Scrambler is pretty good compared to all but the fuel injected BMW F 650s (they get nearly 70 mpg!).

Here in Oregon we are forced by our "enlightened" state government to use ethanol and it cuts milage and power a fair amount (2 - 3 less mpg in autos). Don't get me started on that...

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #1953
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Gas Milage

I just filled my truck up yesterday and put $65 at $4.00 a gallon in.

I used to do this every weekend when I didnt have the scrambler.

So approx gas bill every month $240.

Now I fill my truck about once a month, the Scrambler once a week at $10.

So approx gas bill now $100.

The payment on the Scrambler is $150 and the insurance is another $80 a month.

So yes my expenses have gone up a bit.

BUT I would rather be paying for a Scrambler than some sheiks palace in a country that hates the rest of the free world.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #1954
coffee guy
roaster of fine coffee

Oddometer: 37
happy 4th !!!

i am headin north to the flagstaff, az area to find a spot to throw down a sleeping bag. everyone have a happy 4th and ride safe!

cheers....

[URL="http://coffeeguy.smugmug.com/photos/311225287_sh9jv-M.jpg"]
[URL="http://coffeeguy.smugmug.com/photos/311225163_kSmxm-M.jpg"]
coffee guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #1955
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee guy
i am headin north to the flagstaff, az area to find a spot to throw down a sleeping bag. everyone have a happy 4th and ride safe!

cheers....

Have fun and stay safe. Bike looks great!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #1956
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
TOR's

Picked my TOR's up Thursday. Asked the dealer about re-jetting and he said it should not be necessary. Installation was easy, took about 15-20 minutes total.

Initial impressions..............a tad bit louder than I anticipated but I absolutely love the sound. Only rode about 30 miles since install (been raining a lot 'round here). No noticable difference in performance. The only thing that I don't like is the popping & crackling under trailing/closed throttle. Will re-jetting be necessary to fix this ? Thought that I read somewhere that AI removal will get rid of this issue ? I do have a AI removal kit on order. Should be here any day now.

Weather 'sposed to be good rest of the weekend. Going ATV riding w/ my kids today. Hopefully will get to do some Scramblin' tomorrow.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #1957
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
popping on the over run is usually a lean idle condition.

if it still pops after AI removal, richen the idle circuit.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #1958
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
pipe bluing ???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
Picked my TOR's up Thursday. Asked the dealer about re-jetting and he said it should not be necessary. Installation was easy, took about 15-20 minutes total.

Initial impressions..............a tad bit louder than I anticipated but I absolutely love the sound. Only rode about 30 miles since install (been raining a lot 'round here). No noticable difference in performance. The only thing that I don't like is the popping & crackling under trailing/closed throttle. Will re-jetting be necessary to fix this ? Thought that I read somewhere that AI removal will get rid of this issue ? I do have a AI removal kit on order. Should be here any day now.
After I posted this message earlier today, ran my errands and went to post office. Was pleased to find that my AI removal kit had arrived from NewBonneville.com

Rushed home and installed kit. Took approx. 1 hour to complete. Kit came w/ clear instuctions. Took a little spin. End result.....the popping/crackling that was occurring on trailing throttle has stopped. Now I like my new TOR's even more.

Which leads me to another question. I assume that pipe bluing will decrease / stop now that AI has been removed. Unfortunately, my pipes are already discolored. Is there a way to remove bluing from pipes ? Anyone have success w/ a particular brand of polish ?
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #1959
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
After I posted this message earlier today, ran my errands and went to post office. Was pleased to find that my AI removal kit had arrived from NewBonneville.com

Rushed home and installed kit. Took approx. 1 hour to complete. Kit came w/ clear instuctions. Took a little spin. End result.....the popping/crackling that was occurring on trailing throttle has stopped. Now I like my new TOR's even more.

Which leads me to another question. I assume that pipe bluing will decrease / stop now that AI has been removed. Unfortunately, my pipes are already discolored. Is there a way to remove bluing from pipes ? Anyone have success w/ a particular brand of polish ?
Forgive my noob ignorance, but can someone explain to me what the AI is, and why/how does this impact pipe bluing? I expect to receive my Scrambler soon and am wondering if this is something I should take care of off the bat? Although, personally, I don't mind blue pipes (to me implies well ridden ride ) but is there something else performance wise I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for educating me on this issue.

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #1960
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
Forgive my noob ignorance, but can someone explain to me what the AI is, and why/how does this impact pipe bluing? I expect to receive my Scrambler soon and am wondering if this is something I should take care of off the bat? Although, personally, I don't mind blue pipes (to me implies well ridden ride ) but is there something else performance wise I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for educating me on this issue.
Hey There!

It stands for air injection and refers to the little gizmos sticking out of the head right next to the plugs. Air is injected into the pipes to more fully burn the exhaust gas in order to lower emmissions, and this causes the pipes to run hotter and turn blue. I don't mind the blue at all, as all the old bikes used to have blue pipes and as you said, to me it showed the bike had been put through its paces.

Whatever the deal, most folks take the AI off. I wouldn't normally take off the AI, but with it in place it is a heck of a job to get to the spark plugs so I am gonna follow everyone else's lead. If it weren't for getting at the spark plugs I wouldn't bother. Your choice!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #1961
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418

Loaded for a little trip... 1200 miles through Idaho, Montana and Washington in three days - it was a blast. Ride report up in that section!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359609

Regards, Guy

M700 screwed with this post 07-05-2008 at 05:42 PM
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #1962
coffee guy
roaster of fine coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M700

Loaded for a little trip... 1200 miles through Idaho, Montana and Washington in three days - it was a blast. Ride report up in that section!

Regards, Guy
DAMN nice lookin bike !
Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #1963
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Well, it does look an awful lot like yours!
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #1964
coffee guy
roaster of fine coffee

back from northern arizona

385 miles later......

schnebly hill road over sedona,az

further down schnebly hill road

fossil creek road

headin back up fossil creek road

Old 07-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #1965
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Hey There!

It stands for air injection and refers to the little gizmos sticking out of the head right next to the plugs. Air is injected into the pipes to more fully burn the exhaust gas in order to lower emmissions, and this causes the pipes to run hotter and turn blue. I don't mind the blue at all, as all the old bikes used to have blue pipes and as you said, to me it showed the bike had been put through its paces.

Whatever the deal, most folks take the AI off. I wouldn't normally take off the AI, but with it in place it is a heck of a job to get to the spark plugs so I am gonna follow everyone else's lead. If it weren't for getting at the spark plugs I wouldn't bother. Your choice!
Thank you for edumacating me, Mista Vern. I appreciate it!

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote