Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #2281
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
I would have thought a convicts arse would have toughened up by now.
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #2282
ksigtuck
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Luggage

Hey Guys,
I know that I have seen this on here somewhere but can not find it. I am looking for pics of a scrambler with the large BMW type aluminum touring boxes mounted on the sides. ANyone had these, if so how did they work out?
ksigtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #2283
scraper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
so after 3k miles on my scram, riding everything from twisties on pavement & long highway hauls to deep sand, whoops, singletrack, fire roads, two-up, solo, loaded down & everything else between - i decided to upgrade the suspension. i decided to go with YSS since they are based within about an hour & a half from my house. Klause at YSS was very responsive via email & even let me meet him at the shop yesterday (sunday) to have him check out my bike & show me my options. i havent mounted the new parts yet but when I do, ill post a review for reference.

I went with the Z-366 TRL twin rear shocks & progressive springs for the front. Total including tax was close to $800. thats a good bit of change but hopefully it will be worth it. I can say for sure that i was blown away by Klauses customer service skills & he even gave me some swag too. Once i paid for the parts which he had in stock, he swapped out the springs on the rear shocks for ones better suited for my bike & me. we decided the extra 10mm in length on the rear shocks would work better for me since i spend a lot of time riding two up & riding pretty agressively off road. we compared the travel of the stock shocks vs the new. stock is 70mm & the new YSS shocks, although only 10mm longer give a total of 30mm more travel for 100mm overall. im hoping there isnt any tire clearance issues once everything is mounted so we'll see. if all is well, ill be more than happy about having 30mm extra travel at the shock, which will translate to a little more at the wheel (ill do some measuring & find out exactly). the new shocks have infinate preload adjustment with a threaded body rather than the 5 click stockers & also 60 clicks of rebound damping adjustment, as opposed to the non-adjustable stockers.

As for the fork, we decided on the progressive springs, mainly because the damping in the fork feels fine to me, its just a bit soft for what i need the bike to do. YSS does offer PD valves which makes for adjustable rebound damping but it has to be adjusted internally - which i didnt see myself doing. i feel plenty confident rebuilding any fork but i dont want to have to take it apart to make any minor adjustments.

so - ill keep you guys posted & let you know how the bike rides after i get the time to install the parts.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #2284
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Moving right along

I did my own tyre change recently, & lifted the rubber belt that covers the spokes. Front wheel showed quite serious corrosion , rear was not as bad .I would never have known if a tyre guy did the swap.
Bike has been on the road 1 year & covered 20000 km.
Have a warranty claim in on the front , it is going to be slow process

Upshot is :- This is not uncommon on the Bonnie range , for noobs at your first tyre change take the time to rust treat/protect the inside of your rims.
If your bike is approaching the end of the warranty period, it might pay to check the rims, once warranty is up it is too late & you could be in for a serious bill. If they are OK, rust protect anyway to be safe.
Like I said this was the 3rd tyre change & I only found it cos I was doing this change , so get your tyre fitter to have a damn good look.
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #2285
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck
I am looking for pics of a scrambler with the large BMW type aluminum touring boxes mounted on the sides.

Why not just buy an ugly bike to start with rather than make a beautiful bike ugly?

Then add a huge windscreen and other ugly 'farkles' and you can make it look as bad as some of the Ulysses out there. :-P
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #2286
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #2287
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
I did my own tyre change recently, & lifted the rubber belt that covers the spokes. Front wheel showed quite serious corrosion , rear was not as bad .I would never have known if a tyre guy did the swap.
Bike has been on the road 1 year & covered 20000 km.
Have a warranty claim in on the front , it is going to be slow process

Upshot is :- This is not uncommon on the Bonnie range , for noobs at your first tyre change take the time to rust treat/protect the inside of your rims.
If your bike is approaching the end of the warranty period, it might pay to check the rims, once warranty is up it is too late & you could be in for a serious bill. If they are OK, rust protect anyway to be safe.
Like I said this was the 3rd tyre change & I only found it cos I was doing this change , so get your tyre fitter to have a damn good look.
I caught a drywall screw through my rear tire today. Dogtracks like hell when the rear is flat. Bike is going to the shop for the change tomorrow, I will ask them if they find anything.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #2288
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
Why not just buy an ugly bike to start with rather than make a beautiful bike ugly?

Then add a huge windscreen and other ugly 'farkles' and you can make it look as bad as some of the Ulysses out there. :-P
+1
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #2289
ksigtuck
n00b

Quote:

Well even if it takes away from the look of the bike I am willing to deal with that to make it functional as I have a lot of equipment that I must carry for work and this will be my mode of transportation. I assume that the boxes can come off when not needed leaving behind only the frame/rack.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #2290
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well even if it takes away from the look of the bike I am willing to deal with that to make it functional as I have a lot of equipment that I must carry for work and this will be my mode of transportation. I assume that the boxes can come off when not needed leaving behind only the frame/rack.
To be honest, a saddle bag with a tire patch kit and tools would have been really nice today. I am trying to figure out a way to attach a single side bag and still look good. I think material would make a huge difference here.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #2291
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Just pullin' yer leg. Forgot I wasn't talking to the Milko.

I remove the wirework on my Buell when I'm not touring too. No big job to stick it back on.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #2292
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Quote:

Dave is right they look truly fugly.
But if you don't believe us then look at MetalMule's solution
https://www.metalmule.com/component/...d,63/catid,35/

what the images don't show you [probably intentionally] is how wide the bike is with the boxes attached!
If memory serves me right they did have an image before & the rightside box sticks way out that woul prevent filtering and IMO probably unbalance the bike.
I looked at addapting my TT boxes from my GS for the Scram & decided that it was not the way to go for a variety of reasons [Size/width/weight/balance]
and ended up fabricating a larger rack in place of the small solo seat rack .

It can carry 50+Kgs in waterproof bags.

If you want a pannier solution then Davorallyfan has IMO the best solution but they are soft saddlebags & could present a security issue if that is your priority.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron

Rhodie screwed with this post 08-12-2008 at 12:29 AM
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #2293
ksigtuck
n00b

Yea I looked at the soft sided bags and they looked pretty good but you are right about the "security" issue. I am not a fan of the look with the hard sided panniers either as they do really take away from the bike and really make the rear wider than a 3 ton mamma. For around town I thought the satchel bag(or whatever it is Called) that Triumph makes may work ok. Anyone added one of these? If so what does it seem to do to the balance of the bike when loaded with it only being on one side of the bike? Also what have you found that you can easily carry in it? I may be able to get away with one of these for work if it can easily carry laptop, notebooks, and files....just depends on its capacity. Any suggestions/pictures would be appreciated.
TUck
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #2294
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,592
I think the use of the lone satchel bag on the left side might actually balance the bike better. I think the balance as stock is a little off with those big heavy pipes high up on the right side. I've noticed that if I take my hands off the bars the bike does tend to go to the right a bit. I surmise that's from the extra weight over there causing it to lean that way a bit.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #2295
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,496
I just use a tailbag to carry my rain gear, lunch etc. while commuting. haven't done any long trips yet. My Hepco rack finally came in so now the bag sits on the rack and my pillion is free again.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote