Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #2341
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
There is chrome & then there is chrome, not all of it is the same quality & that usually traces back to preparation.

The original Suzuki GN 250 built in Japan has been around for years & old examples & the slightly newer Volty are bloody good sound bikes. Then Suzuki made them in China [I think] . Same bike in appearance but a world away in build quality , those bikes fall apart & examples that are 3/4 years old are rust heaps & showing up at the wreckers . BUILD QUALITY IS NOT THERE

The Trumps sure as hell are not China crap but they are also not the absolute Bees Knees as far as build quality goes

I think of the condition of my bike as showing the patina of a bike that actually gets ridden in all conditions on all roads [ sealed & unsealed ]
20,000km in a year
It has rained here solid for best part of 2 months & I am still ot riding every weekend [ even when its snowing ] ,more if I can . It gets cleaned & polished regularly & it lives in a garage, it sure as hell does get looked after, just ask my wife

Guess i'll have to move to sunny SoCal to live in a perfect world.

I love California. SoCal is one of my favorite places, really amazing, but I think NZ would still be better. Just IMHO. Cali is wayyyyyy too crowded. NZ has 1/4 the population density of the entire united states, there is something to be said for that.

If you take care of your bike like that then mine is doomed. ;)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #2342
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Pete 640 , way to go, The RED ones do it with style, Is that the Wisemans Ferry I keep reading about, sorry if that is a dopey question
I once got asked when travelling overseas how far I lived from the outback , "Ah , wrong country mate" . " Huh really , you guys aren't part of Australia" .... " They wish "

Krahe , I like SoCal too, SF & the surrounding country is just great,[Is that SoCal] Yosemite is a personal favourite, I can never get my head around LA ,I just get out as soon as I can . My loss no doubt.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #2343
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Pete 640 , way to go, The RED ones do it with style, Is that the Wisemans Ferry I keep reading about, sorry if that is a dopey question
I once got asked when travelling overseas how far I lived from the outback , "Ah , wrong country mate" . " Huh really , you guys aren't part of Australia" .... " They wish "

Krahe , I like SoCal too, SF & the surrounding country is just great,[Is that SoCal] Yosemite is a personal favourite, I can never get my head around LA ,I just get out as soon as I can . My loss no doubt.
Ha Ha yes that is one of two ferries we did that day. I got tangled up with a bloke on the Wiseman's to Mangrove Mountain road. He was on a big custom vrod and quite rudely over took me at some road works so I had the pleasure of letting him go and reeling him in for 50kms of twisty black top, first time I have given it some stick and i does go round corners well.

I have the superbrace for the front and some new fork springs so that will only make it better I hope!

Its Ok on the rougher dirt, we did some fairly straightforwards rocky/sandy 4wd tracks (Wheelbarrow Ridge Track). See pic for a feel of the country:

Name:  Wheelbarrow Ridge1.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  123.9 KB

Bloody great on the gravel roads. Problem is having a 640 as well, the suspenders just dont compare but the rest of the package is so much fun and I do like to be able to reach the ground!

P
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #2344
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:

No you did the right thing, I can only take so much of LA before the need to GTFO overtakes me.

If you get a chance, try San Diego. Just amazing. Saw the most beautiful girl in my entire life there. I was so stunned I let her just walk on by without even saying a word. But thats a story for another time...

If you make it to Sand Diego try The Midway (aircraft carrier) Museum, La Holla beach, and Balboa Park. Great places all.

Why is it everyone but me has mountains they can ride through (I am drooling over those mountain roads Peter640...)? Need to change my locale...

Rode the bike to work and had a nice one hour ride at lunch. I still love this bike.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #2345
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Ventura Racks

Would someone be able to post a picture of their Ventura rack, showing the connection points? I am trying to figure out if it is compatible with the side racks I have. Maybe some pictures with the seat off, a close up or two?

Thanks, Mud
Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #2346
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed
Would someone be able to post a picture of their Ventura rack, showing the connection points? I am trying to figure out if it is compatible with the side racks I have. Maybe some pictures with the seat off, a close up or two?

Thanks, Mud
If no one gets to it by tomorrow evening I would be happy to snap a few shots. Tied up until then tho.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #2347
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Gas Mileage

Went about 130 miles before reserve, 139.0 at the pump, 2.959 gallons of 89, equals 46.98 mpg. That's almost identical to what I had before the de-snorkel and re-jet procedure. No better, no worse. Improved performance so I give it a thumbs up!

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #2348
gcrider900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
OK guys, I've got a couple of follow-up questions:

1. How is Triumph about taking care of rusty rims and engine case paint under warranty? I'll be able to see the engine cases, but not inside the wheels.

2. The bike I'm considering has about 2000 miles on it. What scheduled service should have been done by this point? I want to make sure the bike has been properly maintained/documented.

3. I know the Deathwings have to go. Anyone got experience with Metzler Tourance? I'll never take the bike off road (a little dirt roading might be done, but that's about it), but want to maintain a little of the off road flavor.
gcrider900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #2349
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Just got TORs today and put them on but there a bit too loud for where i live and early morning rides and might have to part with them. If any adv riders from this thread are interested, drop me a line. $420/shipped.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Before you finalize that decision, try to listen to the bike as someone else rides it. I thought my TORs were too loud initially. Then my friend Lloyd rode up with his TORs equipped Scrambler. Amazingly enough, the pipes are louder to the rider (just right for me) than they are to street-side observers.
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #2350
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Tor

I agree with panthercity, you should have someone else listen to the bike with pipes or have someone else ride it so you can hear. When I got the TOR's I thought they were loud so I had a couple of different friends ride along in traffic and they all said "I can hear you and know you're there, but the pipes aren't loud". Also, I recently asked a couple of nieghbors in my condo if they were bothered and they said no. Don't give up Dave!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #2351
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrider900

3. I know the Deathwings have to go. Anyone got experience with Metzler Tourance? I'll never take the bike off road (a little dirt roading might be done, but that's about it), but want to maintain a little of the off road flavor.
Can just speak to the tourances - they are great, IMO. Quite a few Scrammy riders are using them. Make a huge difference in handling. Check out some of the Triumph sites on the net for more info - lots of tires threads.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #2352
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Tourances are great.
I've takem off-road, gravel etc. - but on tarmac they truly shine.
Currently I'm runnig Metzler Sahara Enduro 3s and for a DP tyre they are better than the Karoos
which are really too focused for off-road.
Another DP tyre to check out are Conti TKCs - sadly we cannot get them here.
If you are mainly riding sealed roads then Tourances are the ones for you.
PS try & avoid the newer stickier compound as they don't last as long.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron

Rhodie screwed with this post 08-20-2008 at 11:34 AM
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #2353
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrider900

2. The bike I'm considering has about 2000 miles on it. What scheduled service should have been done by this point? I want to make sure the bike has been properly maintained/documented.

The break-in service is at 500 miles, the next scheduled service is at 6000 miles. The 500 mile service should have been documented (stamped) by the dealer or authorized technician in the service records book that comes with the owners manual. There is a place under the seat to keep both of these books, that's where mine are.
My dealer called the 500 mile a "glorified oil change". Basically, they replace a heavy weight for the normal weight oil, check the tire wear, check the chain wear, etc.
Good luck with the bike, you'll love it!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #2354
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Dear GCRIDER
1/ The rim rust is not on every bike but it is certainly not unheard of down here in NZ , unfortunately you will only find it when swapping tyres . Triumph seem to be OK re replacment, Bike shop lost the pics of my rims so I now have to go back to shop have front rim stripped & rephotographed for verification then things will start happening
The corrosion on the engine cases probably starts from stone chips to the laquer caused by the idiot rider taking it further than the end of his driveway. This slow learner has not made a claim as he figures the damage is to a large extent self induced. I wrecked it so I fix it

2/ Service as per schedule in book [ already covered ] but I change oil & filter every 5000km but dont use the Triumph spec Mobil , but a cheaper product which is adequate

3/Tourances get good wraps , I run Pirelle Scorpions & they are excellent better than Annakees in my opinion
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #2355
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed

Thanks, Mud
Okay, I got a couple of pics for you. If there is something that I missed that you need to see let me know.

For the record, I just installed the Ventura system a few nights ago. I will give a brief review after the weekend. I am heading up to Northern Minnesota for the Aerostich "Very Boring Rally". We'll see how much camping gear the rack and bag can handle.

Good luck.
Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote