ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #2386
davorallyfan
Commonist
 
davorallyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Capitalist
Oddometer: 15,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Just remember you can replace it temporarily with the passenger peg.

I think the new pegs are forged, my new one seemed pretty heavy for aluminum.
Done.

Thanks

While I wait

Heading out to Thrashers Terrifying Trek this weekend - with my panneirs on I'll be holding up the traffic - I will post some pix.
__________________
7th Day Adventourist.
Terrafied
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #2387
milkman
can't find my screwdriver
 
milkman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Steak and Kidney Inmate
Oddometer: 137
Ah, bugger
I was coming along on my blue and white too
Dave, would have been good to check out your scrambler, bu the fun police have restricted my mileage this weekend

Look forward to the report
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #2388
davorallyfan
Commonist
 
davorallyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Capitalist
Oddometer: 15,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Ah, bugger
I was coming along on my blue and white too
Dave, would have been good to check out your scrambler, bu the fun police have restricted my mileage this weekend

Look forward to the report
Yeah Yeah

F*U@C the police
__________________
7th Day Adventourist.
Terrafied
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #2389
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer
 
queenpdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 964
Very Boring Rally

I think my Scrambler was the only one in Duluth at the Aerostich rally last weekend. Turned out it really wasn't very boring. I had a really good time hanging out and watching the national Trials championship that was going on at the same time. Here's a few shots.

My campsite view





Couple shots from the Trials Comp.











By the way, the Scrambler was FLAWLESS!
__________________
Two wheels good

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #2390
N.D.H.
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 2
Hello All,

I'm new to motorcycles, and the Scrambler has caught my fancy. I'm really tempted to go take out a loan and jump right in, but the wiser side of my brain is telling me that I should buy something cheap to lay down the first few times.

So my question to you all is, what older/cheaper bikes might I like if I dig the Scrambler? The Honda CL 350/360/450 seem really cool, and not too hard to come by. Are they dirt-worthy? Are there any other models I should know about, or some that can be "scramblerized" without TOO much work?

Thanks in advance, adventurers.

-N
N.D.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #2391
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 14,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.D.H.
Hello All,

I'm new to motorcycles, and the Scrambler has caught my fancy. I'm really tempted to go take out a loan and jump right in, but the wiser side of my brain is telling me that I should buy something cheap to lay down the first few times.

So my question to you all is, what older/cheaper bikes might I like if I dig the Scrambler? The Honda CL 350/360/450 seem really cool, and not too hard to come by. Are they dirt-worthy? Are there any other models I should know about, or some that can be "scramblerized" without TOO much work?

Thanks in advance, adventurers.

-N
I see that your advanced age (90 according to your profile) has not slowed you down - good for you! Given your age, I hear those new Pope motorcycles with the belt drives are the bees knees.

Seriously, you are wise to learn on something else. Pretty much any older Japanese dualsport would be fine, such as a Suzuki DR 350 or Honda XL models. Get something that allows you to easily touch the ground as you dabble in dirt. Just watch the Craigs List or paper near you, but don't be in a hurry - first time buyers often end up with a POS.

Later, gramps!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #2392
Stobie
Mr. Motivated
 
Stobie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Stanley, NC
Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1
Or be cheap like me and get the 7.95 genuine Sheepskin Auto Mitt at Wally World. Split the seam along the thumb side until it lays flat and attach your own elastic. I've got 20k on mine and still comfy.
KLR owner?
__________________
Stobie


Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #2393
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 14,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1
Or be cheap like me and get the 7.95 genuine Sheepskin Auto Mitt at Wally World. Split the seam along the thumb side until it lays flat and attach your own elastic. I've got 20k on mine and still comfy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
KLR owner?
If not that, then a member of proud standing in C.B.O.A. My kinda guy!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #2394
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 14,950
Great pics QD - thanks for posting them!

Your bike looks very sharp!
__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #2395
N.D.H.
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
Honda XL models.
What about the Honda CLs? Should they be a strictly-pavement bike, or can they handle light-duty offroad? Fireroads, dirt paths, etc. Nothing crazy.

I defer to your collective expertise on this matter. The Scrambler appealed to be based on it's seeming versatility, and of course the classic look.
N.D.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #2396
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer
 
Mudhen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Below Portland
Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.D.H.
What about the Honda CLs? Should they be a strictly-pavement bike, or can they handle light-duty offroad? Fireroads, dirt paths, etc. Nothing crazy.

I defer to your collective expertise on this matter. The Scrambler appealed to be based on it's seeming versatility, and of course the classic look.
I think Scramblers are small enough for a first bike. And used ones are pretty darn cheap, even compared to new dirtbikes. If you get it and love it, it will push you to ride and ride and ride...vs getting some other old cheaper bike that you may not like as much - may turn you off to riding altogether.

Just stock up on footpegs, it looks like...

__________________
"Triumph over adversity is good for the soul." -- Packmule
IBA# - 18804
Bikeless
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #2397
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS
 
princess jamaica's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: KM111.5 POSADA CONCEPCION,BCS
Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
I think my Scrambler was the only one in Duluth at the Aerostich rally last weekend. Turned out it really wasn't very boring. I had a really good time hanging out and watching the national Trials championship that was going on at the same time. Here's a few shots.

My campsite view





Couple shots from the Trials Comp.











By the way, the Scrambler was FLAWLESS!
nice pics and bike.what windscreen is that?
__________________
24 hours,maybe 60 good years,it's really not that long a stay.........jimmy b.
princess jamaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #2398
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 906
CBOA , sorry you lost me but I will guess

Canadian Bikers On Acid
Convict Bikers Of Australia [ all welcome ]

Nope, I know

Cheeky Buggers On Apisstake
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #2399
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch
 
panthercity's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I will give it a try.

What size sheepskin fits the Scrambler for solo riding?
From my records:

Quote:
Alaska Leather, Inc - 2905 Arctic Blvd - Anchorage, AK 99503
Phone: 9075622324 Fax: 9075632326
www.alaskaleather.com
Medium Buttpad Deluxe
Charcoal
Qty: 1 at $49.95 .............................................. $49.95
__________________
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #2400
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.
 
Mista Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Oddometer: 14,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
CBOA , sorry you lost me but I will guess

Canadian Bikers On Acid
Convict Bikers Of Australia [ all welcome ]

Nope, I know

Cheeky Buggers On Apisstake
Cheap Bastards of America




__________________
-
"The turd follows the fart as surely as the rain follows the plow."

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014