Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #256
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO
The new tank looks great. R U having any luck finding longer travel suspension ?
Thanks. No luck on the suspension yet. I think that might be a long term project.

By the way, it turns out these tanks aren't meant to be polished. Mine has several pinhole leaks. Needless to say, I was a little upset. I'm using some Caswell's epoxy gas tank sealer to fix the problem, but at this point I'm really wishing someone make a big steel tank for the Bonnie/Scrambler/Thrux family.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #257
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Thanks. No luck on the suspension yet. I think that might be a long term project.

By the way, it turns out these tanks aren't meant to be polished. Mine has several pinhole leaks. Needless to say, I was a little upset. I'm using some Caswell's epoxy gas tank sealer to fix the problem, but at this point I'm really wishing someone make a big steel tank for the Bonnie/Scrambler/Thrux family.
I dunno a big high grade nylon tank like Nylon zytel or similar in black would be bitchin and probably lighter/cheaper.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM   #258
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,613
New flat black is nice. Love the alum engine cases. Will that engine be in all '08 Scramblers? I'm still waiting to see asymetrical hard luggage like the old BMW R80G/S. Someone, anyone?

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #259
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
New flat black is nice. Love the alum engine cases. Will that engine be in all '08 Scramblers? I'm still waiting to see asymetrical hard luggage like the old BMW R80G/S. Someone, anyone?
Don'tcha like my asymetric soft luggage?

Does my arse look big?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #260
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:

Have you tried Works yet?

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

It appears that they offer a pair of 14.5" shocks for the Thruxton (I guess stock is 12.5") for anywhere from $469 to $1009 depending on what you want.

You might also check and see if Progressive makes a 413 series shock for the Bonnies. The 413 is the stretched version of the 412.

You might be able to get a pair of Sportster Sport shocks on fleabay for a couple hundred-- those have both rebound and compression damping, and remote reservoirs. I'm not sure what the eyelet measurement is on the Bonnies though. Sportsters use 1/2" bolts on both top and bottom. Don't buy FXDX shocks, they are sprung for a bike that is a LOT heavier than yours. I think the solidmount Sportys are fairly close to the Bonnie in weight--they come in at 499 lbs. dry.

Good luck on your search!

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 AM   #261
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Winter seems to be dragging the chain in NZ. Still get out there, but itch'n for spring/summer.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 AM   #262
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
I'm one lucky guy,new bike added to the herd!!!

I've been drooling over the Scrambler for sometime now-- (screensaver,stopping buy the dealer,pointing them out on the road...etc)

I was planning on buying one sometime next year.... Well my wife suprised the hell out of me the other day with a brand new 07 green/silver Scrambler, she even had the off road pipes put on and a nice bit of extras added to boot!!!!

I'm still in shock....This is one great bike and I have one great wife

UP N MTNS

White Tenere screwed with this post 08-01-2007 at 11:24 AM
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #263
twaldron
Dudeman

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
I've been drooling over the Scrambler for sometime now-- (screensaver,stopping buy the dealer,pointing them out on the road...etc)

I was planning on buying one sometime next year.... Well my wife suprised the hell out of me the other day with a brand new 07 green/silver Scrambler, she even had the off road pipes put on and a nice bit of extras added to boot!!!!

I'm still in shock....This is one great bike and I have one great wife

UP N MTNS
Who gets the payment book? Nice choice in bikes and wives.

PAST LOVES: 1974 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha 650 Special, 1982 Suzuki Katana 550, 1985 Honda 1000R, 1986 Suzuki GSX750R
, 2001 Yamaha YZF600R, 2004 Kawasaki KLR650

twaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #264
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Congrats UP N MTNS.
What a bike. What a lady. Lucky man indeed.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 PM   #265
WFO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #266
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,884
Thumb Scrambler on a road trip!

I just got home from West Fest and thought I'd write about how my Scrambler did on a road trip from Oregon to New Mexico. I have no Smug Bug account, so can't post pics; however, feel free to PM me if you want to see some of the bike and how it was set up. I used the Ventura luggage system, and complimented by the Triumph tag bag, I was able to haul all I needed for camping. As usual, I took too much gear, so next time I will have even more room! FWIW, I am sold on the Ventura system, and the Triumph tank bag is huge and looks great too.

Some basic background info: The bike was completely stock (haven't even removed the AI) and had a little over 1000 miles on the clock when I left home, and the round trip was 3179 miles. I weigh 250 pounds with my gear on (yeah, I'm fat) and had about 60 pounds of luggage. I did put on Metzler Tourances and they performed superbly in all conditions ranging from heavy rain to dirt roads and loose gravel at road construction sites.

For those who are concerned with horse power, the bike had plenty of Moxie to do whatever I wanted. I was especially impressed with how the carbs handled the elevation change, as I live at 160 foot elevation and traveled over mountain passes of over 10,000 feet with no problem whatsoever. The bike always started and ran fine whilst other carbed bikes often ran very poorly at higher elevations. Typically, gas milage at cruise was around 50 mpg using Shell 87 octane. The best I got was 60 and the worst was 35, which I attributed to shitty gas with ethenal in it.

In my opinion, the bike was a real winner for a road trip. The neutral seating position allowed me to do a 600 mile day with no more discomfort than any other motorcycle, and it ran all day long at 70+ mph without a complaint even at temps over 100 degrees F in Idaho and Utah. The bike really excelled on twisty two lane roads - neither it or myself liked interstate riding. I don't know if it was the weight or not, but crosswinds were not a problem unless they were over 25 mph. Above that speed I felt better slowing down a bit.

That's basically it - the Scrambler proved to be dependable as the sun and a delight to ride in all conditions. As usual, it also brought a lot of folks by who wondered what it was.

There are a couple of things that need changing, however. The shocks are really bad, and I will put on some after market ones as soon as possible. Also, the horn is useless and I will put a Fiamm on soon. Ther than that, I could not be happier with the Triumph Scrambler - it is a truly universal bike that will happily carry out all kinds of motorcycling tasks from gravel roads to interstates, and it looks great doing it.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #267
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Good report Mista Vern.
Do try & post pix on photobucket [its free].
Enjoy the ride.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #268
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Rhodie, got any pictures of your re-painted Scrambler tank yet?
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #269
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Rhodie, got any pictures of your re-painted Scrambler tank yet?
Hope to be able to post some later on this week when I get back to Chiaang Mai.
Oh - ZNP???
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #270
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I just got home from West Fest and thought I'd write about how my Scrambler did on a road trip from Oregon to New Mexico. I have no Smug Bug account, so can't post pics;
You can attach pics here (it's only Jo Momma that you have to link to them online) - be cool to see your photos

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote