Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #3016
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus

Orpheus
Congratulations mate on the first decent touring Triumph tank.
I have tried to have one made here in steel but the finish is such that would require considerable
"floating" thereby increasing the weight & thereby making it incredibly top heavy.

A few questions.
1. did you have to remake the seat to fit the tank?
I am wondering what adjustments I would have to do to my solo seat were I to order one.
Could you perhaps posts the the rear bolting points please?
2. How vulnerable is the tank to spills? i.e. would it benefit from some sort of protection bar system?
3. In the event of a spill how robust do you think the tank is in its construction - dents or splitting etc?
4. Have you noticed any handling differences due to its greater capacity & weight?

Great work considering all the pain & cost you went through with the NH tank.
Well done for persevering.

Cheers
Rhodie
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron

Rhodie screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 03:32 AM
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #3017
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
Just picked up Motorcycle Sport and Leisure and they have an article on the "EVO Scrambler". Not sure I agree with the removing the oil cooler in the interest of weight savings but they achieved some pretty impressive hp/torque increases.

http://www.mslmagazine.co.uk/last_month.htm

Gernick, here you go: 65.6hp - 57.41ft-lbs compared to stock: 44.8hp - 41.58ft-lbs, that's 45% hp increase and a 35% torque increase.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #3018
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Love the machine. I just need some more power to make it a little easier to keep up with the big boys.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #3019
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

So far what I have lined up is the Thunderbike cams, AI removal and possibly the Arrow 2 into 1. I gotta see what it sounds like or if it comes with a removeable baffle first.

I'll have to get myself a subscription to that one. I can't find it around here.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #3020
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Did you have to have the FI remapped ?
You shouldn't have to get a remap just for removing the AI.

I stopped in to my local Triumph dealer this weekend (I guess 100 miles one way is local anyway). I ride a Strom now but have been thinking one of the Triumphs is going to replace it one of these days. I have a soft spot for the Scrambler because it makes sense but it looks really small in pictures.

The dealer just got a new black one in 3 days before I showed up, otherwise he was out. I was impressed with the initial comfort of the bike, it fits really well. I'm a little disappointed they're not offering any of the 2-tone paint jobs this year; I'm not into the whole black thing and I'm not sure about the matte green (dealer only had the black one).

They had 3 Bonnevilles but they just didn't do it for me. I was surprised that the '09 Thruxton was quite comfortable, I'd expected it to be much more severe in riding position.

I'm going to keep checking and see when the demo truck is coming this way; I'm not looking to replace my Strom until at least the middle of next year but I can't bring myself to pay out $$$ for a bike I've never ridden anyway.

Maybe a dealer in Phoenix will have some of the older models when I'm ready to but that have the classic paint since the only dealer I found in Tucson only had the black one.

FYI it's gloss black, not matte.

Yes I read all 202 pages of this thread over the last couple of weeks, glad everyone likes their Scrambler.
bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #3021
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
My pipes are starting to blue all the way back to the cans - did some long riding days and that's when I really started noticing the change. I took my (mostly) stock 06 Scrambler from one coast to the other from Nov 8th to Nov 24th. Over 7,000 miles without a hiccup. Notice the ADV sticker in the first pic?

Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #3022
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
My pipes are starting to blue all the way back to the cans - did some long riding...

This is a really excellent picture btw!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #3023
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,923
Hi everyone.

I`ve been off the site for a while due to some hassles,and a health scare (I`m okay now)...and I`m back with a Username change to the name all my friends and other websites know me as.

I`ve owned a Uly for a year and it`s an awesome bike...pure thrill and adrenaline....it was so good for me that after a test ride I sold my two BMW GS`s that I`d had for ten years and bought a brand new one.
It`s given me a buzz for a year.
However,our main roads (which aren`t my normal choice but the Uly preferred them) are overstuffed with traffic leading to much frustration at always finding vehicles 'in the way',and there`s also an oppressive police approach to road speed leading me to feelings of paranoia whenever I rode the Uly the way it likes.

To be honest,I`ve never really been all that bothered about how fast I can go anyway...but the Uly wasn`t totally happy at being ridden within most speed limits....it always felt like it wanted to really stretch its legs and gallop away.

Partly due to my health scare,and partly simply due to a change in outlook,I have changed my riding style and have been preferring riding about and touring on my Urals (see my Urals in the Hacks 'Let`s see them' Forum if you`re interested).
I`ve taken to riding small lanes and backroads,having a look to see where they go,and taking nice photographs of what I find.

I fancied a traditional style fun based solo bike and looked hard at Enfields,which I love...but much as I`m not bothered about speed,I think I`d soon tire of a solo that only just about had the performance of my 650 Ural.
I had toyed with the idea of a solo Ural...and may well get one someday,but something happened after idling a few hours away on this site....

At last....I`m getting on to the subject of the Thread....

I fell in love with the Triumph Scrambler when they first came out...and after reading all of this thread over several days and nights I just knew that I had to have one....it ticked all the boxes for me and looked stunning.
Plus there were lots of shiny things to polish.
I`m known for my bike polishing and clean bike fetish .

I fancied a new one but they`re all fuel injected now....and I wanted carbs.

As if by magic I found a 2007 carb model for sale 30 miles from where I live with only 1300 miles on it....it even came with the optional single seat and rack as well as the original dual seat.
Plus a tiny flyscreen.

The very next day this happened.......

And the day after that,feeling like the Fonz with his guitar across his back,due to me carrying the dual seat tied to my rucksack,I rode home on this........

I`m a happy bunny now !!!

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......

Tarka screwed with this post 12-02-2008 at 04:49 AM
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #3024
A mi que?
Love Supreme

Oddometer: 36
Arrow exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
So far what I have lined up is the Thunderbike cams, AI removal and possibly the Arrow 2 into 1. I gotta see what it sounds like or if it comes with a removeable baffle first.

I'll have to get myself a subscription to that one. I can't find it around here.
I asked a fellow RAT about the Arrow on his Scrambler and he said that is does come with a removeable baffle.
A mi que? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #3025
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A mi que?
I asked a fellow RAT about the Arrow on his Scrambler and he said that is does come with a removeable baffle.
Excellent.

You're gonna love it Tarka.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #3026
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka
Hi everyone.

As if by magic I found a 2007 carb model for sale 30 miles from where I live with only 1300 miles on it....it even came with the optional single seat and rack as well as the original dual seat.
Plus a tiny flyscreen.

The very next day this happened.......

And the day after that,feeling like the Fonz with his guitar across his back,due to me carrying the dual seat tied to my rucksack,I rode home on this........

I`m a happy bunny now !!!
Congrats on your new Scrambler!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #3027
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidplate865
My pipes are starting to blue all the way back to the cans - did some long riding days and that's when I really started noticing the change. I took my (mostly) stock 06 Scrambler from one coast to the other from Nov 8th to Nov 24th. Over 7,000 miles without a hiccup. Notice the ADV sticker in the first pic?
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

PS blue pipes just mean you ride your bike, wear em with pride.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #3028
Bojer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi Tarka
Good looking bike !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka
I fancied a traditional style fun based solo bike and looked hard at Enfields,which I love...but much as I`m not bothered about speed,I think I`d soon tire of a solo that only just about had the performance of my 650 Ural.
Same thing happened to me , I have a Enfield 500T and it is good fun but just a bit too slow - you get "bullied" by Mums in hatchbacks on A-roads So having read all this thread (!) I got myself a red/white carbed Scrambler - v pleased . Quite a few Enfield owners do upgrade to a Ural when they need more speed so suspect yours was a good choice !

Fitted a Renntec rack to mine next step is modding some Husqvarna footrests to replace those alloy/rubber jobs and making myself a sumpguard . See you around .
Bojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #3029
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
Orpheus
Congratulations mate on the first decent touring Triumph tank.
I have tried to have one made here in steel but the finish is such that would require considerable
"floating" thereby increasing the weight & thereby making it incredibly top heavy.

A few questions.
1. did you have to remake the seat to fit the tank?
I am wondering what adjustments I would have to do to my solo seat were I to order one.
Could you perhaps posts the the rear bolting points please?
2. How vulnerable is the tank to spills? i.e. would it benefit from some sort of protection bar system?
3. In the event of a spill how robust do you think the tank is in its construction - dents or splitting etc?
4. Have you noticed any handling differences due to its greater capacity & weight?

Great work considering all the pain & cost you went through with the NH tank.
Well done for persevering.

Cheers
Rhodie
Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. No, Evan Wilcox did not believe much practical space would be gained by cutting into the seat. The tank actually overlaps the front of the seat by about 2". There are no rear mounting points. I'll take some pics later, but basically Evan created a custom brace for the front of the frame. The brace is located behind the oil cooler and supports two bolts in rubber bushings. Then there's a secondary brace near the carbs that prevents the tank from lifting. Nothing connects it at the rear.
2. It's possible that the tank could be damaged in a get-off, but I do have Renntec crash bars on the bike (they are on the pics), which are pretty beefy. Granted, they aren't over the tank, but I wouldn't want to actually have tank crash bars.
3. I'm not sure. It's aluminum, but it's thicker gauge than the NH tank. Evan also told me that due to how he constructed the tank (or rather, how he did not) repairs are relatively easy even if one side gets caved in. "Relatively easy" might still be expensive, but still...
4. Surprisingly, not much. When less fuel is in the tank, the bike actually seems to handle a bit better, since the fuel is being held lower on the bike.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #3030
capuett
Scrambunctious Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Your saddlebags

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
I put a bigger screen on as I am going to do some longish trips soon.
Davo, I've only had my Scrambler for a couple of months, and am catching up on all these great posts on this thread. I'm wanting to put a single hard saddlebag on the left side of my '08 Scram. Would the bags mounts you have work with a single bag on the left? What brand are they, and what bags are you using on them?
capuett is offline   Reply With Quote