Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #31
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
The Rodney Dangerfield Edition?

Here's one of my favorite large format HiRes pict. I think it looks better with the bash plate. It's not that great for a desktop though. Dave's picture looks great for a desktop. It's very dynamic.

With my wife - i don't get no repect - She made me join the Bridge club - I jump off next tuesday.
i don't get no repect - When I was a kid I worked in a pet shop - people kept coming in and asking how big I got.
i don't get no repect.

I have about 20 off them - armed and ready at all times.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #32
Justice
Funbuster

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto
...The exhaust pipe was quite close to my leg and was actually touching my inner thigh when I stood up.

I read in a Cycle World review where one of their guys was complaining about scorching his riding suit...
Installing the AI removal kit will keep the pipes cooler.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #33
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Nice report, Dave

Every time I see one, I quite fancy one, until the exhausts slap me in the face. The person who designed them needs some more industrial design lessons, I think - why did they make the pipes such a large diameter, if they'd made them thinner, then any issues about heat, clothing getting melted etc wouldn't have been, maybe?

I saw a Spanish registered one last night (just got off the ferry, I think) and it looked great as I walked up to the left-hand side, then I walked past the back, looked behind me and there were those pipes and silencers again

Will have to see what the aftrmarket offers up

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:48 AM   #34
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Nice report, Dave

Will have to see what the aftermarket offers up
The mad scotsman at www.thunderbike.co.nz emailed me last week and said they had a Scrambler breathing fire.

"We`ve coaxed an extra 50% out of the Scrambler (and more from its parallel Twin brothers) so far and there`s more to come so if your looking for an excuse for a jaunt down south folks you know where we are..."

I'm going to take him up on the offer when the weather breaks.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #35
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
This one?

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #36
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
This one?
'spect so!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #37
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Harley has been selling overweight, underpowered bikes for years - I even had one

Whlist the Scrambler is not a world beater, it has great nostalgia value and IMHO looks fantastic. Yeah the pipes are a bother if they melt pants but the look of a bike is important to many and aftermarket will no doubt solve this issue.

Wouldn't you just get the Tiger if you were more serious about your offroad/adventure biking - whilst its 10kgs heavier it has a heap more power.

Although the HP boosted figures above look very impressive

I think Triumph are onto a winner, more than enough people who remember that style who wouldn't mind thinking back to those days everytime they looked at their Scrambler
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #38
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
I went by the Triumph dealer to check out the Scrambler the other day after a business meeting. I was in business clothes and driving the cage, so I did not take a test ride.

The good: The bike has tremendous visual presence, it is a real looker, one of the most strikingly handsome modern (?) bikes I have seen. Steve McQueen would be happy to ride this bike. It sits higher than the Bonnie and has a more comfortable seat. The bars are wide and put me in a slightly forward lean, which is a good thing at speed. The paint is gorgeous as are the pipes and the Bridgestone Trailwing semi - knobby tires fit the image of the bike perfectly. It looks perfectly capable of dirt road and fire road riding, certainly every bit as capable as my WeeStrom. Access to cleaning and lubing the chain is excellent due to the high pipes, even without a centerstand.

The bad: The dealer said the 270 degree crank pin makes the motor gutless. Of course, he sells Ducatis and thinks everyone should ride a liter bike, so I'll reserve that opinion for my own personal test ride. The pipes might be an issue: my leg rests on the heat guard and that might bother me. The dealer said he has ridden a Scrambler for a 60 mile ride, and it bothered him. The front brake fluid reservoir looks like it came off a Japanese race-replica: see through plastic with the ugliest hose at a 180 degree bend - not attractive and not fitting with the retro look at all. And no tach standard, which seems a bit chintzy. And no centerstand.

I'm going back for a test ride soon and will report my impressions.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #39
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by we3

Here is probably the most damming review of them all:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/scrambler06052400.html

The luke warm at best reviews go on and on and on just like the ones above... It appears to me that the Scrambler is a looker but not a keeper.

My search continues.

*sigh*
If you read the entire quote:

So the big question of any road test is: would I have one?

After ten minutes of riding I had decided the answer was no.

Now I'm thinking if I could wangle some after market silencers which Triumph state 'do not conform to EPA noise standards' then that would make a huge difference. Maybe I could put up with the heavy clutch, or perhaps it could be magically transformed.
Ultimately I think the answer is yes, as overall it seems a good package, giving that traditional Triumph 'cool' factor without the cliché oil leaks.

Selective Quoting Provides less than favorable impressions of ones ability to assess.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #40
Justice
Funbuster

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
Here is probably the most damming review of them all:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/scrambler06052400.html

The luke warm at best reviews go on and on and on just like the ones above... It appears to me that the Scrambler is a looker but not a keeper.

My search continues.

*sigh*
I read the Real Classic review by BikerBabe.
I find it hard to put too much stock in what she says when she complains about "cursing the heavy clutch pull". Particularily when other testers praise the light and easy clutch and shifting.
I guess if you have trouble pulling in the clutch, then you best not venture any further off road than the end of your driveway.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #41
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 615
I got a note from a fellow that owns a Scrambler. Thought I'd pass it along here: "Ever since seeing the modern Triumph classic model bikes a few years back, I knew one day I would have to get one. All it took was the Scrambler to come out and that day was suddenly upon me. This bike is pure romance whether you are riding it anywhere you happen to wander, or just plain gawking at it in the garage. This is one fun motorcycle those Brits have come up with - it's hard to keep from laughing out loud while riding it!"

"One fun motorcycle" says it pretty well. We don't all need state of the art suspension and 98 hp to have a great time. Come Fall, if all goes well, there will be a new Scrambler in the garage next to my Honda ST1300.
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #42
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,268
2 cents

I want a Triumph..

I will buy a Triumph.

Im gonna uncork another bottle of wine! (and leave the pod!)
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #43
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
You do not want one, keep moving, nothing to see here

It's a retro, niche bike. But I love mine. You get on, crank it and go, not waiting on computers to boot up, no whine of electric fuel pumps, no whine of the ABS boosters. It is a new, old school bike.

I've had mine on power lines, dirt/gravel roads and a few trails. You are not going to win anything on this bike. It is not meant too. All I can say is, it is what it is. IT IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #44
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog

..... But I love mine. ....
How hot are the pipes on your right leg when riding and stopped?
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #45
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
I've done a couple of long days on the Scrambler in lower 90 degree weather and the pipes have not been an issue.

Nice workmanship:

Single seat Dual seat
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote