User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #5866
circlip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Zard

My Scrambler is an '06 with carburetors. I'm not sure if re-jetting will be required, but I expect that some adjustment will be necessary.

I directed the same question to Annitori Distributing (the Zard distributors, I purchased the pipe from them), who are doing a bit of research for me. It seems that they also do not have any installation instructions for the low pipes and don't have answers for me without doing some "legwork". I wonder how many of the low systems they have sold.
circlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #5867
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Collected the cylinder head today and will install it tomorrow. The ports have been cleaned up and the head shaved by 1mm. I will run it on the dyno when I get the chance but will post a 'seat-of-the-pants' report in a few days. Griz

Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #5868
gk ryder
is this thing on?

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
..... will post a 'seat-of-the-pants' report in a few days. Griz
Griz, I like what you are doing with the bike. The look is just about right for me.
But I would like to know at which stage did you start losing that great little torquey bottom end?

I pulled off the snorkel & installed a K&N with the only the other non stock item being TOR exhausts.

Immediately apparent was a little loss of that nice chunky pull.
So I put the snorkel back & *presto* there it was, with a little more willingness to rev later up the range (courtesy of the freer filter I would guess).

If your total experiment have accumulated even more torque I would welcome info on how that was achieved.

cheers.
gk ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #5869
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder
I pulled off the snorkel & installed a K&N with the only the other non stock item being TOR exhausts.
Carbs? Did you rejet? You're running lean...
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #5870
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
For those interested, my full ride report from Sturgis is posted here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495735

The Scrambler did very well and drew some nice comments from people. One guy at the campsite said he'd heard of them but had never seen one!
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #5871
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
For those interested, my full ride report from Sturgis is posted here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495735

The Scrambler did very well and drew some nice comments from people. One guy at the campsite said he'd heard of them but had never seen one!
Not too many Scramblers sitting at the coffee shop, we'd rather ride!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #5872
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlip
I've been lurking for awhile, just sucking up the information and atmosphere. But now I've got a real question or two. I just purchased a low Zard 2 into 1 exhaust for my Scrambler.

A few questions for those of you that have installed these units:
1) The pipe seems to be sitting directly under and touching the rear brake psiton; is this normal or will I gain some clearance once everything is tightened? and 2) What is the stainless steel spacer used for?
The pipe does touch the rear brake piston on mine and I was concerned about it but I've done a few thousand miles since then with no actual problem.

I think the spacer went where the pipe mounts to the passenger peg bracket but I can't remember and I'm at work right now. I'll try to remember to check how mine's set up and post here later tonight.

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #5873
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe
Carbs? Did you rejet? You're running lean...
+1.

I don't think that should have lost you anything unless you failed to rejet.
See this thread http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...e-results.html
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #5874
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdc
The pipe does touch the rear brake piston on mine and I was concerned about it but I've done a few thousand miles since then with no actual problem.

I think the spacer went where the pipe mounts to the passenger peg bracket but I can't remember and I'm at work right now. I'll try to remember to check how mine's set up and post here later tonight.
Quick question. Is the Zard 2-1 a simple bolt on system?
Thanks,
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #5875
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
Newbie Q

I'm interested in purchasing a used Scram. I've looking at 2007's and love the Red/White color scheme. But I don't like the black engine look at all. Was that an option? In the US and I going to be able to find a bike w/o the black engine and side covers?

Thanks,

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #5876
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
I'm interested in purchasing a used Scram. I've looking at 2007's and love the Red/White color scheme. But I don't like the black engine look at all. Was that an option? In the US and I going to be able to find a bike w/o the black engine and side covers?

Thanks,

Tom
I think you may have to look for an 06 model if you don't like black engine cases. Red & white with polished alloy engine, you are obviously a discerning purchaser with exceptionally good taste.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #5877
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell
Quick question. Is the Zard 2-1 a simple bolt on system?
Thanks,
Yep, super easy install. Took me like 15 minutes.

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #5878
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
I think you may have to look for an 06 model if you don't like black engine cases. Red & white with polished alloy engine, you are obviously a discerning purchaser with exceptionally good taste.

Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #5879
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder
Griz, I like what you are doing with the bike. The look is just about right for me.
But I would like to know at which stage did you start losing that great little torquey bottom end?

cheers.
gk rider, We installed the head today and I'm tickled pink as my long departed father was fond of saying. As far as I can tell, there has been no loss of bottom end except that the big hit of midrange power might make it seem like there has been a loss at the bottom but I think this would only be an illusion. Although not very scientific sounding, the bike now goes like the clappers all the way though the rev range however I will back this impression up with a session on the dyno as soon as the opportunity presents. IMHO, the bike has now enough power that it would not be embarrassed in any dual-sport company.
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #5880
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
gk rider, We installed the head today and I'm tickled pink as my long departed father was fond of saying. As far as I can tell, there has been no loss of bottom end except that the big hit of midrange power might make it seem like there has been a loss at the bottom but I think this would only be an illusion. Although not very scientific sounding, the bike now goes like the clappers all the way though the rev range however I will back this impression up with a session on the dyno as soon as the opportunity presents. IMHO, the bike has now enough power that it would not be embarrassed in any dual-sport company.
Can't wait to see the results. You're taking the bike a nice step above.

In other news my Scrambler is back on the road after replacing a leaky fork seal. It's good to be on a bike with torque again.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote