Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #5896
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
Griz, I see you have bar risers fitted, will the switch bracket fit ok on a standard Scrambler...no risers & carby fuel tank ?
Terry, yes, the bracket will fit your bike (sans risers) in exactly the same position as pictured on my bike as the risers are independant of the stock speedo mount and sit above the stock items. There is plenty of tank clearance so the Key Relocator bracket will fit either EFI or pre EFI models. Griz
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #5897
gk ryder
is this thing on?

Oddometer: 63
*Report on good tyre combo + mini ride report*

There are some real pioneers here regarding taking Scramblers to the dusty frontier. Grizz, Rhodie, Pascal & everyone here in-between.

So it was time to do over 300Kms (200Miles).

The company
- Tuono, R1100S, 900SS(Tamburini style)
Good riders, fast , smooth much quicker than me.

The tyres
- Metzeler Sahara 3 (rear), Tourance

The journey
- Bald Hill > Macquarie Pass > Nerriga(beer stop...i know i know)>Turpentine>Sussex>Milton

- working hard(ish) keeping up, up to pointy end of pack...marvel at the scenery...fall back...catch up

The road that changed my life :)
- then Heavenly sign read:
[* WARNING - gravel road next 40 Kms *]
.....Scrambler = aaaaaawesome!.....

- never really been off road , so quickly learnt to stay on it, powering off meant drifting the front. Combination of deep deep gravel, corrugations & even mud where they watered the area readying for some fresh bitumen at some stage I guess.

cleared off in front...went to my head probably... as I hit a crater (I cannot call it a pothole) at over 100 on the dial, bounced out of the seat, hands off the handlebars & thought 'i'm gone...' somehow caught the handlebars on the way down, looked around for any photo takers(yeah right) and pinned it again.

What a charming, versatile, visceral, gorgeous motorcycle we have here.

And I haven't even started modifying yet...though am spurred on by Grizz's efforts.

I can recommend the tyre combo for excellent road adhesion and more than enough gravel work.

Have never seen so much caked on mud on any of my motorcyles, it looks great, it feels great to see it.

Heeeya....bring on the next weekend.

Regards,
Ryder.

the map
gk ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #5898
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Terry, yes, the bracket will fit your bike (sans risers) in exactly the same position as pictured on my bike as the risers are independant of the stock speedo mount and sit above the stock items. There is plenty of tank clearance so the Key Relocator bracket will fit either EFI or pre EFI models. Griz
Thanks for that, order placed

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #5899
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
pics please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder
There are some real pioneers here regarding taking Scramblers to the dusty frontier. Grizz, Rhodie, Pascal & everyone here in-between.

So it was time to do over 300Kms (200Miles).

The company
- Tuono, R1100S, 900SS(Tamburini style)
Good riders, fast , smooth much quicker than me.

The tyres
- Metzeler Sahara 3 (rear), Tourance

The journey
- Bald Hill > Macquarie Pass > Nerriga(beer stop...i know i know)>Turpentine>Sussex>Milton

- working hard(ish) keeping up, up to pointy end of pack...marvel at the scenery...fall back...catch up

The road that changed my life :)
- then Heavenly sign read:
[* WARNING - gravel road next 40 Kms *]
.....Scrambler = aaaaaawesome!.....

- never really been off road , so quickly learnt to stay on it, powering off meant drifting the front. Combination of deep deep gravel, corrugations & even mud where they watered the area readying for some fresh bitumen at some stage I guess.

cleared off in front...went to my head probably... as I hit a crater (I cannot call it a pothole) at over 100 on the dial, bounced out of the seat, hands off the handlebars & thought 'i'm gone...' somehow caught the handlebars on the way down, looked around for any photo takers(yeah right) and pinned it again.

What a charming, versatile, visceral, gorgeous motorcycle we have here.

And I haven't even started modifying yet...though am spurred on by Grizz's efforts.

I can recommend the tyre combo for excellent road adhesion and more than enough gravel work.

Have never seen so much caked on mud on any of my motorcyles, it looks great, it feels great to see it.

Heeeya....bring on the next weekend.

Regards,
Ryder.

the map
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #5900
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk ryder

Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #5901
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
185kph (115mph) indicated. Tried again on way back, exactly the same, 185kph. ..... Currently running one tooth down on the front and two up on the rear (17:45). I'm not unhappy with that especially as it got there quite quick and just held the speed for the rest of the straight which suggests there might be more in it if I upped the gearing. I am also running Mitas EO9 knobbies front and back...
If you can happily zap it to 115mph w/ that setup but you usually ride dirt/trails, then why change anything..? Keep the teeth and don't worry about that lost edge the 0.001% of the time you want to hit 130mph+. No?

re teh knobbies. Of course there's resistance; the noise is energy that's been converted from your engine's output into noise & not forward motion; there's also gonna be extra tyre heat too. Don't ask me how much of each I have no clue, but these physics type of things tend to get amplified/progress geometrically, not linear, so prolly reasonably significant at speed. Anyhooo, seems like you got a firecracker of a Scram; I certainly wouldn't sacrfice any trail ability for a little more top speed, unless you been reading the triumphrat technical forum too much...

When my Scrambler grows up it wants to growl like Grizzly's.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #5902
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:

Have to say that the wiring looks a little too exposed for my liking. It would be very easy for a thief to cut into it and hot wire your bike.
If you could figure a way of encasing the wiring in a braided stainless steel sleeve then you'd have something.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #5903
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Have to say that the wiring looks a little too exposed for my liking. It would be very easy for a thief to cut into it and hot wire your bike.
If you could figure a way of encasing the wiring in a braided stainless steel sleeve then you'd have something.
Wonder if the wiring loom can be routed forward under the speedo....should be a easy fix.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #5904
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
Wonder if the wiring loom can be routed forward under the speedo....should be a easy fix.
Or move to another neighbourhood.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 AM   #5905
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Or move to another neighbourhood.
I'm thinking more of when you're on tour.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #5906
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Yes it is exposed but so is the stock set-up. When touring I always use a coiled security cable to fix the front wheel to a verandah post or similar as it helps to ensure that the bike might be where I left it when the new day dawns! Terry's idea of re-routing the wiring forward of the triple clamp sounds like a good option as it would make it a little more difficult to tamper with the wires.

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 07:15 AM
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #5907
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
If you can happily zap it to 115mph w/ that setup but you usually ride dirt/trails, then why change anything..? Keep the teeth and don't worry about that lost edge the 0.001% of the time you want to hit 130mph+. No?
You are quite right of course as top speed is purely academic and totally unneccessary unless your name was Burt Munro! I don't plan on changing the gearing just to get another 5kph at the top as the current set-up is a good compromise between forestry trail/dirt road use and general road riding. Out on the highway riding in the normal 100 to 120kph zone using the 17:45 tooth set-up gives great top-gear overtaking zap without feeling too revvy at a constant 'touring' pace. However if I was going to do a dedicated two week road trip I would probably revert to stock gearing or just go to a 19 on the front to save changing the rear.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #5908
TeamJunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Rotopax Fuel Tank and Cheap Riser Options

Here's some pictures of the Rotopax fuel tank and mount and cheap riser options. Risers were made from one inch spacers from Ace Hardware, and the four inch bolt was from Hilco Fasteners. Total cost for risers = $12.00

TeamJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #5909
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You are quite right of course as top speed is purely academic and totally unneccessary unless your name was Burt Munro! I don't plan on changing the gearing just to get another 5kph at the top as the current set-up is a good compromise between forestry trail/dirt road use and general road riding. Out on the highway riding in the normal 100 to 120kph zone using the 17:45 tooth set-up gives great top-gear overtaking zap without feeling too revvy at a constant 'touring' pace. However if I was going to do a dedicated two week road trip I would probably revert to stock gearing or just go to a 19 on the front to save changing the rear.

Of course it'd be an easy, quick & cheap experiment to slap on the 19 front and stock rear just to see..

what have you done so far re the airbox/filters/jets?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #5910
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdstd003
Here's some pictures of the Rotopax fuel tank and mount and cheap riser options. Risers were made from one inch spacers from Ace Hardware, and the four inch bolt was from Hilco Fasteners. Total cost for risers = $12.00

Nice rotopax holder. Is that a custom fabrication? Great that you retained the passenger peg but added fuel capacity. Any chance you'll crank out a few extras?