Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM   #6031
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
There are many ways to skin a cat and so it is with adventure touring. Do you just ride off with no baggage except a credit card then sleep in old art-deco country pubs every night eating in their old time restaurants on formica tables with floral pattern plastic table-clothes. On the other hand you could do a Charlie and Ewan... load your bike to the gun'ulls and have your mechanic/cameraman/immigration agent drive along behind with all the rest of your totally and absolutly neccessary gear!

So it is that I have been wondering about the tack to take when a week long ride opportunity becomes available. From the mid seventies through to the late eighties I did a lot of rallys including many times, the well known "Alpine" just west of Canberra. My MO in those days was to literally weigh all my options hence my camping cutlery was always aluminium from camping stores and not the wife's heavy stainless steel Sheffield variety. By choosing the gear very carefully the final package can be kept amazingly light. The benefits are many.

Do you fit wide panniers? The bigger the panniers the more (unneccessary) crap you will take therefore the more weight you have to deal with when you are struggling up the slippery slope on the way into the rally site... not to mention the reduced fuel range from the extra wind-age. For these reasons I have always tended to keep the gear off the sides of the bike.

Sleeping arrangments have always been a compromise for me. Even in my youthful thirties I found it hard to sleep on a self-inflating Thermarest. However if I hit the sack while well enebriated around the midnight hour it was possible to sleep until 6am without tossing around with aching bones but if I turned in at 8.30pm when it got dark, wet and cold, I would be awake by 2am with no hope of returning to sleep! Re bedding, the best compromise for me was the simple camp stretcher that had four plug-in "W" supports and two three-piece side poles with canvas stretched between. For me, this type of bed offered the best compromise between travel weight, folded bulk and sleep comfort. I still have my baby-ducks-down minus 10deg sleeping bag which weights in real light and stuffs into a very small stuff-sack.

The Triangia cooking set, a bottle of metho, some dehydrated meat sachets, Continental soups, a few potatoes, some long-life milk, teabags and we're set to go. Damn, almost forgot the matches!

Given the forgoing, this is my idea of an adventure/tourer. Now, just gotta find the time!

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 05:21 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #6032
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
I have a cooler gig.
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #6033
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
You are so right.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #6034
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Now THAT'S a topcase!
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #6035
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

We have updated our website so the Scrambler Key Relocator kit and Mudbuster can now be obtained on-line at http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalo...=Miscellaneous

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 11:48 PM
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #6036
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Now THAT'S a topcase!
Looks like Grizz will be testing the E-09's stabilty with high luggage weight while leaning.
Please report back
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #6037
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Nice looking set up. Just needs some mud on it and it'll look great.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #6038
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Spokes may have been a problem but the later models have redesigned hubs with straight pull spokes. That just about covers the faults eh?

!
Be fair, we've had coils that don't like water, exhausts that glow red hot and the list of mods any new rider has reccomended (move that rear calliper, replace the shocks, fit new tyres....) is as long as any for BMW. The fact that a coil can be fixed with bathroom sealant while a driveshaft/alarm aerial/ECU needs a competant dealer is IMHO where Triumph really score.

I to don't want to get started on BMW faults and have been there and done that, but let's not pretend Triumph are perfect. Triumph have idiots in their marketing department who don't realise what their product is, while BMW marketing put their hands over their ears and go LA-LA-LA-LA-R80GS-LA-LA-premium product-LA-LA-LA.... but there isn't much we can do about that except keep riding and let the message spread.

Anyone talked to Triumph and pointed out they are missing out going the cafe-for-coffee/look-like-Steve-McQueen route? I bet they are scared about Tiger sales taking a hit rather than F800's.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #6039
Old_Eric
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Adventure reports on Scramblers

If somebody is interested I link here the two Spanish guys´ reports on their adventures on Scramblers. It´s here: http://xaviillas.blogspot.com/
Old_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #6040
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie

Anyone talked to Triumph and pointed out they are missing out going the cafe-for-coffee/look-like-Steve-McQueen route? I bet they are scared about Tiger sales taking a hit rather than F800's.

Andy
Look on the bright side, at least Triumph don't rely on us, the end user to do their product testing & development.
I thought BM might really have something with the 800GS, I am now somewhat sceptical.
Triumph has definitely missed the boat by making the Tiger a pure road bike, the Scram has it's limitations as we are all well aware. If they built a simple lightweight robust twin cylinder all road bike they would have a winner, imagine a Versys with a 21" front wheel ,an extra 100 cc, 270 crank ,an ounce of styling & minimal electrickery, I suspect we would all be lining up.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #6041
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
There are many ways to skin a cat and so it is with adventure touring. Do you just ride off with no baggage except a credit card then sleep in old art-deco country pubs every night eating in their old time restaurants on formica tables with floral pattern plastic table-clothes. On the other hand you could do a Charlie and Ewan... load your bike to the gun'ulls and have your mechanic/cameraman/immigration agent drive along behind with all the rest of your totally and absolutly neccessary gear!

So it is that I have been wondering about the tack to take when a week long ride opportunity becomes available. From the mid seventies through to the late eighties I did a lot of rallys including many times, the well known "Alpine" just west of Canberra. My MO in those days was to literally weigh all my options hence my camping cutlery was always aluminium from camping stores and not the wife's heavy stainless steel Sheffield variety. By choosing the gear very carefully the final package can be kept amazingly light. The benefits are many.

Do you fit wide panniers? The bigger the panniers the more (unneccessary) crap you will take therefore the more weight you have to deal with when you are struggling up the slippery slope on the way into the rally site... not to mention the reduced fuel range from the extra wind-age. For these reasons I have always tended to keep the gear off the sides of the bike.

Sleeping arrangments have always been a compromise for me. Even in my youthful thirties I found it hard to sleep on a self-inflating Thermarest. However if I hit the sack while well enebriated around the midnight hour it was possible to sleep until 6am without tossing around with aching bones but if I turned in at 8.30pm when it got dark, wet and cold, I would be awake by 2am with no hope of returning to sleep! Re bedding, the best compromise for me was the simple camp stretcher that had four plug-in "W" supports and two three-piece side poles with canvas stretched between. For me, this type of bed offered the best compromise between travel weight, folded bulk and sleep comfort. I still have my baby-ducks-down minus 10deg sleeping bag which weights in real light and stuffs into a very small stuff-sack.

The Triangia cooking set, a bottle of metho, some dehydrated meat sachets, Continental soups, a few potatoes, some long-life milk, teabags and we're set to go. Damn, almost forgot the matches!

Given the forgoing, this is my idea of an adventure/tourer. Now, just gotta find the time!

Mate love your work - but the key thing... is that what the world needs right now.

Nothing wrong with putiing the wide load panners on - they work - and can carry tucker and drinkies. Low weight is better than high weight

Plenty of rallying to be done. Been to 12 Alpines and over 200 rallys.

And the triumph like - you say is solid.

The glitches
Broken rear spokes I wired mine but the ally rims would be better.
Warped front discs - been through 2
1 speedo cable - my fault.
footpeg right snapped.
errm.. thats all in 38,000 k

The DR I own has been just as good but is getting a bit tired at 70,000

Re the bmw comments I gotta soft spot for the 2 valves but they are much higher maitenance thant the scram.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #6042
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Just needs some mud on it and it'll look great.
Have to agree but don't worry BT, she's no show pony as we had plenty of dust n dirt (no mud in our neck of the woods, hasn't rained here for weeks) from last weekend but we cleaned 'er up for the pics!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #6043
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 376
Does anyone have one of the aftermarket oil pressure gauge setups? I'm interested in one and would love to hear reports and get some detailed photos.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #6044
bilicoopscoopi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag
Does anyone have one of the aftermarket oil pressure gauge setups? I'm interested in one and would love to hear reports and get some detailed photos.
I have one installed on my 2006 Red/White Scrambler. I bought it from British Customs from Los Angeles, CA. It works great and makes you feel confident that oil is circulating. Easy to install. Unit comes with instructions.
bilicoopscoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #6045
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

I know some have fitted serated MX pegs but has anyone got the dope on Pivot Pegs???