Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #631
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
I recently discovered this thread and read it very carefully from end to end.

Lots of great stuff and of course more than enough to make me jealous.

Having been a regular on bush excursions during my (mis)spent youth, I have been keen to get aboard an off road bike again. I have been thinking about a Scrambler for a while as I reckon they would make a capable mount.

I have a Sprint ST as my everyday and a Daytona 675 as an absolute fun machine. I love the 675, the grin factor is awesome, but its a demanding bike to ride not to mention very licence damaging.

So my dilemma is - do I chop the 675 in for a Scrambler???

I'm going to test ride one tomorrow.

Brett

um,

yes

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #632
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrover
So I rode one yesterday!

I fell in love almost instantly and am now trying to figure out how to provide for a new Mistress!

The only thing i had a question about is the steering geometry and the "dive" feel at lower speed turns.

jwrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
Possibily the "dive" feeling, (especially on light braking) can be traced back to the very basic Damper Rod design used in the forks.
They are fixed oriface for damping, so will feel "mushy" on slower fork compressions, and suffer a "Hydraulic Lock" on high speed compressions.
Ohlins, or Race tech can supply Fork emulators that will greatly improve the feeling. (I also changed the springs to suit my terrain).
Sadly, the standard suspension is one of the bikes weaknesses.
Happily there not many failings besides the suspension.
tri boy, I took his question to mean how abruptly the bike leaned into a slow speed turn. I guess we'll see if/when he provides feedback. That said, I am in complete agreement regarding the suspension!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #633
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Mista Vern is correct in his assumption

Guys,

Thanks for tackling this question of "dive".

So, yah, I am specifically referring to the manner in which the bike feels like it wants to lay over or dive into the arch of the turn at 1st gear speeds. It's not a problem per say. I'm more questioning if it is a characteristic of most parallel twin engine designs when operating at lower speed maneuvering, or if it has to do with the steering geometry,...OR is it just my riding style that is being caught out now that I'm not on a BMW?

It felt like if i had stood up and put more position over the bars that it would have felt better. For those that have raced Mountain bikes built for single track and circuit riding you will recognize the feeling.

Thanks

jwrover
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #634
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,703
Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for tackling this question of "dive".

So, yah, I am specifically referring to the manner in which the bike feels like it wants to lay over or dive into the arch of the turn at 1st gear speeds. It's not a problem per say. I'm more questioning if it is a characteristic of most parallel twin engine designs when operating at lower speed maneuvering, or if it has to do with the steering geometry,...OR is it just my riding style that is being caught out now that I'm not on a BMW?

It felt like if i had stood up and put more position over the bars that it would have felt better. For those that have raced Mountain bikes built for single track and circuit riding you will recognize the feeling.

Thanks

jwrover
I think you stumbled on to your own answer - the single track bikes you mention have a steering geometry closer to the Scramber than the BMW road bikes you are used to, and it is just prolly "different" feeling to you. That said, the Scrambler with Tourances does a fine and admirable job on the straights, and is hoot in the twisties with good tires and aftermarket suspension.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #635
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Dive!!

The first time I road one I noticed what I would call a tendency to fall into corners at low speed on a trailing throttle.[ Could be a parallel twin trait ]

6 months & 11000 km later I never notice it & infact really enjoy the relatively quick light steering after getting off my Sprint RS . Tyres make a big difference , nobody seems to like the standard B/Stones. I have pushed the bike reasonably hard on some tight hilly & rough sealed roads & it is suprising how quick you can go . Never really noticed the 'falling in' on unsealed roads either

Beach40 , dont be surprised if the scrambler becomes your everyday ride .Triboy says he rides the scram more than the Daytona. I would not go back to the RS although I loved that bike, it just wasn't as versatile as the Scram , a bike that doesn't do anything really well with the exception of looking cool but does everything better than you might expect.
Do I miss the power , Sometimes
Do I miss the speed Somrtimes
Do I miss the brakes, Sometimes
Do I miss the touring ability, Sometimes
Do I miss 2 Up ability Taught SWMBO to ride

Do I have fun ALWAYS
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #636
MeridianKnight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I use my Scrambler for a short work commute and it reduces what is sometimes a half hour drive on a congested 101 to a quick breezy ride. I also try to get away on weekends, though not too far as of yet.

I'm avoiding riding in the rain, but it's been wet almost every day for a while. Forecast is more rain in the Bay Area, but hopefully the weather will break sometime this week.
MeridianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #637
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Great Feed back!...And Sexy Bitch!

Guys,

Thanks for the great input and feedback on the "dive" question. I'm putting it down to characteristic of Triumph on pseudo knobbies, and my coming from the BMW world...

And Meridiannight! That is a sexy bitch! I am jealous!
As I said before...I gotta figure out how to afford that new mistress to be!

jwrover!
Old 01-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #638
[Red]
Intentionally Left

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for the great input and feedback on the "dive" question. I'm putting it down to characteristic of Triumph on pseudo knobbies, and my coming from the BMW world...

And Meridiannight! That is a sexy bitch! I am jealous!
As I said before...I gotta figure out how to afford that new mistress to be!

jwrover!
imo the steering with the stock deathwing tyres was utter shit, once i went to anakee's and I'm sure tourances do the same, the handling of the bike was totally different.

http://scrapheapadventureride.com.au
[Red] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #639
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Red]
imo the steering with the stock deathwing tyres was utter shit, once i went to anakee's and I'm sure tourances do the same, the handling of the bike was totally different.
Oh yes, I have Tourances on my Scrambler. They change the feel of the bike a lot, so much more precise steering. So much a better road feel as well, never going back to deathwings.
Blumtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #640
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
I like the Trailwings.
I find them a great compromise for dirt (which I ride quite a lot) and seal.

All the Scramblers I've tested handled fine with them - same for the TKCs.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #641
[Red]
Intentionally Left

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
I like the Trailwings.
I find them a great compromise for dirt (which I ride quite a lot) and seal.

All the Scramblers I've tested handled fine with them - same for the TKCs.
yeah but you're Danger Dave!

I found them OK in the dirt, but very bad on wet tar. And the difference in the bike once fitting the Anakees was amazing.

http://scrapheapadventureride.com.au
[Red] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #642
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Red]
yeah but you're Danger Dave!

I found them OK in the dirt, but very bad on wet tar. And the difference in the bike once fitting the Anakees was amazing.
'If there is anything bigger than my ego around here I want it caught and shot immediately'. - Zaphod

Weird huh. I did some big wet on the Awakino ride - I think it's earlier in the thread - and came away quite satisfied with the all round performance.

Smoked a couple of GSs on the twistys too.
And they are almost a knobby in the rough stuff.

And yeah - had Anakees on a Tiger that we did a lap of the South Island on - and thought they were great on the road too.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #643
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Rhodie's Hand guards

SO!,
After cruising this thread a little more I obviously saw Mr Rhodie's Scram in the far east. What or Where do we get hold of those hand gurads?

Being in CO I like to ride as long and as far into the winter seaon as possible. Some wind protection for the hands would be nice, and the added defence on the trail seems a good idea too!

jwrover
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #644
trustme
Studly Adventurer

B/Stones always seemed to move around when pushed on seal but never actually let go , stuffed 4500 KM
Anakees better but also moves a little when pushed
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #645
trustme
Studly Adventurer

B/stones tended to move around when pushed but never let go, they just didnt inspire confidence, stuffed 4500km
Anakees better , still moved when pushed but not as much ,never let go wet or dry but they hated wet tar bleed , stuffed 5500km
Pirellis have a real solid planted feel when pushed only 2000km so far so good wear looks at least as good as Anakees
Alll handle dry & damp metal roads reasonably well, all are crap in tough offroad conditions wet or dry but that is not what they were designed for
It is amazing how much different tyres can change the feel of a bike
Just gotta find the ones you like