User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #7516
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thanks for Mirror replies

I will have to check out those options. I have never been much of a pollish and wax guy, it was a dissapointment to actually put in the time/effort for so little result.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #7517
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Been researching luggage & the Andy Strapz panniers are tempting. Does anyone know if the the Triumph number board kit would be good for keeping the panniers off the wheels etc? Or would I have to get some kind of frames made up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme

thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #7518
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Been researching luggage & the Andy Strapz panniers are tempting. Does anyone know if the the Triumph number board kit would be good for keeping the panniers off the wheels etc? Or would I have to get some kind of frames made up?
You are on an island where it is warm all the time - what the heck do you have to haul?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #7519
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
You are on an island where it is warm all the time - what the heck do you have to haul?
swimsuits & towels obv. Plus 5000 gold kruggerands to buy a burger for lunch when we stop.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #7520
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Hello from Norway

Hello everybody, just bought a Scrambler an this forum rules. I have a Thrux but if it will bike choice nr 1 remains to see. I hope I can post some nice pictures with a story from up-north.

Best

Henry II
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #7521
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
So what are the Scrambler mirror stalks made of, compressed rust? I got my bike in Sept. got caught in rain (turned to snow) once in Oct. and didn't get to wash it because the temp did not get back above freezing. I put it in the camper and hauled it down to the Keys in Dec, felt guilty about seeing rust on them Sunday so I removed them, polished it off and applied 3 coats of wax. On Wed. they were already rusting again! I am sure that I can find replacements that weigh half as much and look OK but the OEM ones aren't much for (chrome) durability.

On a more fun topic my high beam indicator has been "intermittent" of late. A good incentive to check out the LED "upgrade" as I see it!

Bruce
I experienced quite a bit of rust on my wheel rims with the chrome lifting in a number of spots. Triumph was quick to send out two new rims and and install them. Have you tried the warranty route? is that even an option for you?

Even if you go with after market parts, it is nice to have the option to return your Scrambler to stock. (for when they become "highly collectible")
Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #7522
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I have to go to the store for a flower pot today (I was thinking of cutting up the recycling bin...no..no...bad krahe), I was looking (ok oggling...) the bike the other day when I noticed a buildup of fine sediment on the forward side of the crossover exhaust header just under the oil cooler. Apparently the front wheel throws really fine grit on the exhaust header where it bakes on looking like a large patch of rust. I also noticed a single spoke on the front wheel that had rust near the rim. An hour later and turtle wax, chrome polish, and armor all and everything looked fine except for the rusty spoke. I plan to block the area under the oil cooler between the frame so I dont get all that sand and grit all over the engine, its an issue living in the middle of the desert.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #7523
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII
Hello everybody, just bought a Scrambler an this forum rules. I have a Thrux but if it will bike choice nr 1 remains to see. I hope I can post some nice pictures with a story from up-north.

Best

Henry II
Welcome Henry II! Hope to see photos of your bike in a beautiful country!

Emily Bronte
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #7524
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII

Best

Henry II

I would love to hear a side by side comparison of the Thrux to the Scrambler when you have ridden the Scrambler for a while. I am wondering what difference the cranks make.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #7525
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I have to go to the store for a flower pot today (I was thinking of cutting up the recycling bin...no..no...bad krahe),

The rains are taking a break today, so heading out to see if my flower pot still is in working order! I knew I shoulda patented that idea.

Emily Bronte
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #7526
arewethereyet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
AZ RAT Pack Feb Social

Had a nice little run-about with the lads here in Phoenix yesterday. Met-up, kicked tires, ran to the top of Southg Mountain, kicked tires, raced down, kicked tires, then off to the shop for free burgers and tire kicking! All-in all great day. Cheers to the lads at the shop for good eats (http://www.triumphsuperstore.net/)
Here's a few from the day:

Cheers
Peter
arewethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #7527
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
handguards

Is anyone using aluminum handguards with the plastic wind deflectors? What brand will fit the Scrambler? I haven't taken delivery of my new bike yet so I don't know what special installation proceedures will be needed with the bar ends in mind.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #7528
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 852
Thirumph Chrome

Thirumph rust strikes again. I have an 04 Bonnie engine chromed out with Triumph optional covers. They still look like new. Thialand factorys need to be watched closely or Thriumph will be sorry they ever started using them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
So what are the Scrambler mirror stalks made of, compressed rust? I got my bike in Sept. got caught in rain (turned to snow) once in Oct. and didn't get to wash it because the temp did not get back above freezing. I put it in the camper and hauled it down to the Keys in Dec, felt guilty about seeing rust on them Sunday so I removed them, polished it off and applied 3 coats of wax. On Wed. they were already rusting again! I am sure that I can find replacements that weigh half as much and look OK but the OEM ones aren't much for (chrome) durability.

On a more fun topic my high beam indicator has been "intermittent" of late. A good incentive to check out the LED "upgrade" as I see it!

Bruce
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster

jamboa screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 02:07 PM
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #7529
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 852
06 Scrambler

Here is my 06 Scrambler. Jet-Hot Coatings Ceramic coated exhaust headers are coated inside and out. Many colors are available but this is the most popular called Sterling Silver. It looks like polished aluminum.
For you guys with blacked out engines they offer a matte black that looks great.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster

jamboa screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 02:07 PM
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #7530
jnx55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
arewethereyet, Looks like you had a good time, thanks for the pic's.
jnx55 is offline   Reply With Quote