Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #7546
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win
Now all you have to tell us is you fly that helicopter around showing people islands in the south pacific. If I'm right can I have job washing your helicopter? My 47 year old wife is just about to kick me out & I'm taking my dog & my scram. Things are a little tough for a lot of us right now. This is the first time I've been unemployed in 20 years. Wait a minute (fireflyr) okay I'm a little slow I guess it's not the south pacific. Well if things don't get better here soon I might have to sell that scrambler--- seriously.
Trade the 47 YO for two 23 1/2 year olds. Get one that can cook and one that can clean. And keep the Scrammie. But trade it off while its still worth something before it gets to be 47.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #7547
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr
Unfortunately the job is in Southern California, but I guess you have to go where the fires are. Sorry to hear about the divorce and job loss. I was going thru the same thing a couple of years ago but decided that my son needed me around to temper the craziness. Things got better, as they always do. I think that's why the Scrambler appeals to me so much. A simple, honest bike to get away on. I just wish I could afford one.
No, No I'm not getting a divorce she's just tired of me being around the house so much with all the free time I have. She just gives me the LOOK. I know you guys know the one I'm talking about. If I'm not working this time next year I'll tell you about the divorce.
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #7548
Grizzlybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
The next phase begins. The Wiseco 904 kit landed on our doorstep today so tomorrow... we pull the barrels off and send the lot away to the engine machinists who will remove the old cylinder sleeves and press in the newies then machine the bores to suit the new high comp pistons.

Because the clutch is barely coping with the power as it is, some beefing up in that area is also required. The new clutch springs have been installed and if needed, a set of Barnett clutch plates is also on hand. The pic shows me holding the stock clutch spring. The heavy duty springs are 3mm longer and of a heavier guage. We found after the first install that the clutch lever action was as hard as nails, you couldn't pull it all the way in and the clutch dragged when we put the bike into gear. So, pull it down again we did! We found that the new springs became 'spring-bound' about half way through the throw of the clutch lever. The simple solution was to remove the 1mm thick washers that sat behind the stock springs so this has now allowed the clutch to be engaged fully with only slightly more effort than stock. There were no instructions supplied with the kit so we found out the hard way! You can just see the new springs behind the thrust plate and you can see that even with the washers removed, the springs still appear tightly wound even though things are ok now.

Current rides: 2009 Scrambler, 2011 Tiger 800 and Daytona 675R.

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 02-09-2010 at 05:41 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #7549
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Geez you don't waste time, Dave. I'm still procrastinating over my handlebar change and fork oil change.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #7550
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Grizzlybear, I thought the barrels where just nickasil plated & all you had to do was machine them & press the new liners in. I haven't seen a manual so I don't know. Either way I guess it doesn't matter the 904 kit is trick.
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #7551
Grizzlybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Geez you don't waste time, Dave. I'm still procrastinating over my handlebar change and fork oil change.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried cos I think I've only got about 20 years left in me, maybe 25 by reason of strength so yuv gotta make every day count

Current rides: 2009 Scrambler, 2011 Tiger 800 and Daytona 675R.
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #7552
babble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi everyone,

well, it's taken me about two years to read this bloody thread and it's fantastic. thanks very much. Meanwhile, inspired by you all, I have also decided to buy myself a lovely Scrambler. Here is what I am thinking of ordering:

Scrambler Matt Khaki
Arrow 2-1
Centre Stand
Engine Bars
bash plate
Sissy bar High
Black Headlight rim
Tank Bag
Clear Screen
Aux Power Socket ( 12V supply)
Hagon rear Shocks
Uni Filter ( foam filter) for improved air flow.
What do you think?

I am now haggling with the dealer for a good price. (in the UK, standard this lot is 8544.91, I have been offered 8200, but I think I could get it for less....(paying in cash)

anyway, got to go. have fun.
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #7553
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
If it were me, I'd just do an airbox removal kit and fit pod filters, to let the engine breathe properly and get the performance. Along with shocks upgrade and blacktigers fork oil fix you'll have covered the essential improvements.

And hold off on the bash plate to see what beach40's bash plate offering looks like; it's surely gonna be way better than the triumph one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babble
Hi everyone,

well, it's taken me about two years to read this bloody thread and it's fantastic. thanks very much. Meanwhile, inspired by you all, I have also decided to buy myself a lovely Scrambler. Here is what I am thinking of ordering:

Scrambler Matt Khaki
Arrow 2-1
Centre Stand
Engine Bars
bash plate
Sissy bar High
Black Headlight rim
Tank Bag
Clear Screen
Hagon rear Shocks
What do you think?

I am now haggling with the dealer for a good price. (in the UK, standard this lot is 8544.91, I have been offered 8200, but I think I could get it for less....(paying in cash)

thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #7554
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
It may end up looking like this.

Good route to go. To note is the accessory centerstand will rattle and shake on every bump/seam/washboard. Its junk, but it works.
Sometimes I forget about mine and sometimes it drives me crazy.
You can putt down a quiet dirt lane and all you hear is that damn noisy centerstand.
I keep it though for on the road adjustments. Working to rubber mount it.

Other than that,
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #7555
Banjax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Scrambler Matt Khaki

Arrow 2-1

Centre Stand

Engine Bars

bash plate

Sissy bar High

Black Headlight rim

Tank Bag

Clear Screen

Hagon rear Shocks

What do you think?

If you are interested,a guy on UKGSER was selling a Scrammie of very similar spec for around 6k ish.Still available i believe.
Banjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #7556
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Good route to go. To note is the accessory centerstand will rattle and shake on every bump/seam/washboard. Its junk, but it works.
You can putt down a quiet dirt lane and all you hear is that damn noisy centerstand.
It is scary the first time it makes a good whack - I wondered what the heck I broke. Still, a chain drive motorcycle without a center stand is like a hammer without a handle, eh?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #7557
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
I To note is the accessory centerstand will rattle and shake on every bump/seam/washboard. Its junk, but it works.

Other than that,
What you need is another spring in addition to the existing springs. I routed another one alongside the supplied ones and it doesn't rattle any more.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #7558
babble
Adventurer

excellent advice, thanks guys.

- I think I will then either get no centre stand (and use my trolly jack / bits of wood at home like I have always done) or get another spring - I can't be doing with a rattle on my nice new bike.

I would be interested in this other similar on for sale, but can't seem to find it on GSERS site.

It is very similar to yours MAX - you photos were my final inspiration (although with no single seat as the wife wants me to take her places.)

I think i will go with the alternative air filter now and then upgrade the whole system later....

cheers!

should i haggle anymore on the price?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #7559
babble
Adventurer

oh, and Banjax, my email works, so if you have any details of this other scram for sale, that would be great.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #7560
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
It is scary the first time it makes a good whack - I wondered what the heck I broke. Still, a chain drive motorcycle without a center stand is like a hammer without a handle, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
What you need is another spring in addition to the existing springs. I routed another one alongside the supplied ones and it doesn't rattle any more.
Don't forget guys, the center stand is also the "skid plate" to protect the rear brake!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote