Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #7591
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
May I ask where you are sourcing your spring from blacktiger?
Have a picture of your set-up?
Ah, well, ahem, cough, cough, shuffling of feet! Actually it's two springs, end to end, that I used and I nicked them from work when I was a just made redundant engineering designer and the factory was closing down.
Can't get any pictures immediately because it's in at the dealers for its 12K service. If I remember tomorrow when I pick it up, I'll post some.

Agree about the bike skidding along but I just place my foot in front of the stand and it comes off fairly easily.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #7592
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones
Hey guys,

Seem to be getting a wobble from the front end when I ride at and over 80kph.
Riding on TKC80s has that effect. I always say it's like riding an airbed on a rough sea.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #7593
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen
I consider getting a K&N Filter (TB-9004) for my 2009 model. For some reason the "compatibility assistant" of the web-shop confirms only 2006-2008 models. Weird. But anyway are there any changes in the air intake system in since 2009? EFi may be? Has anybody tried? THNX
AFAIK the Scram air filter is the same as the Bonnie and Thruxton all years. I went for a Pipercross http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Pipe...r_Triumph.html and they're all listed as MPX089 which fitted into my EFI.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #7594
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Riding on TKC80s has that effect. I always say it's like riding an airbed on a rough sea.
Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? These were the tires I was looking to replace the trail wings with. Not so sure now.

Krahe screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 02:51 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #7595
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Has anyone else come to the same conclusion? These were the tires I was looking to replace the trail wings with. Not so sure now.
Not me, I was getting a lot of "swimming" around corners on my OEM TrailWings. Replaced them with TKC80's and I love the handling. I'm still not really pushing the TKCs like I could the TrailWings. I could and did regularly drag my pegs with the TrailWings, but I have a mental block with the TKCs, it just feels like I shouldn't be able to lean over as far as I do with big ass knobs for tires. They've never given me any reason to question their grip, it's purely a rider thing keeping me from leaning over any further. But I bought them for the dirt anyway and trying to slow down a bit on the road, hence the not pushing it. But at the speeds I've been riding I love the feel, the bike just feels more planted and the turn in is far superior. I will be buying them again when these wear out.

Not that I ever buy anything for my bikes for looks, I'm a function over form kinda guy, but you gotta admit there ain't a finer looking tire on the Scrambler.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #7596
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Thanks bross.

A lot of people say the trail wings aren't very good but I have been able to get far enough over to wear the little nubblies off the outermost tread. But then this is my first bike so I have nothing to compare with. I would go with trail wings again but I want something better for sand and mud.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #7597
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
okay mr bmw, if you were riding your old gs and the scrambler down a supa twisty road, quick like, which would be faster

tell me the whole story!
They say it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow. I agree, however I would prefer to ride a fast bike fast!!!

As much as I love the Scrambler I am seriously considering the switch to a Street Triple, Speed Triple, Shiver, or.......not sure yet. I may be getting old, but I think I want to ride fast and reckless (ok, maybe not reckless) for a year or so. I would not hesitate to buy another scrammy when I've had my fill....or killed myself.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7598
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
Thanks bross.

A lot of people say the trail wings aren't very good but I have been able to get far enough over to wear the little nubblies off the outermost tread. But then this is my first bike so I have nothing to compare with. I would go with trail wings again but I want something better for sand and mud.
I have absolutely no problem with the TrailWings *on the street*, they were a very good tire until the end. But they really sucked off pavement and I have personal experience to back up the not so loving term "Death Wings". Thankfully never tested on the Scrambler but mainly because I had two totally unexpected and bad washouts of the front on my DR650 running the same TrailWings as on the Scrambler. By the time I ventured off road on the Scrambler I was so spooked I rode like a little old lady, and Jodie was leaving me behind on her DR200.

This is from the final washout on the DR650 running TrailWings. My step son was riding the DR and he's a way better dirt rider than I am, he runs Hare Scrambles etc. and normally rides his YZ450. But I watched him go down and there was absolutely no reason for it. This was the last ride for the TrailWings, I fixed the case and spooned on a set of IRC GP-1's before riding it again. My confidence is now back after a few rides on the GP-1s.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #7599
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Not me, I was getting a lot of "swimming" around corners on my OEM TrailWings. Replaced them with TKC80's and I love the handling. I'm still not really pushing the TKCs like I could the TrailWings. I could and did regularly drag my pegs with the TrailWings, but I have a mental block with the TKCs, it just feels like I shouldn't be able to lean over as far as I do with big ass knobs for tires. They've never given me any reason to question their grip, it's purely a rider thing keeping me from leaning over any further. But I bought them for the dirt anyway and trying to slow down a bit on the road, hence the not pushing it. But at the speeds I've been riding I love the feel, the bike just feels more planted and the turn in is far superior. I will be buying them again when these wear out.
What Bross said, exactly.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #7600
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
Portions of this message may not be used to fling shit or to generate "You're wrong" comments.
But pretty much all I know how to do is fling shit - what am I gonna do with myself?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #7601
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
I have absolutely no problem with the TrailWings *on the street*, they were a very good tire until the end. But they really sucked off pavement and I have personal experience to back up the not so loving term "Death Wings". Thankfully never tested on the Scrambler but mainly because I had two totally unexpected and bad washouts of the front on my DR650 running the same TrailWings as on the Scrambler. By the time I ventured off road on the Scrambler I was so spooked I rode like a little old lady, and Jodie was leaving me behind on her DR200.

This is from the final washout on the DR650 running TrailWings. My step son was riding the DR and he's a way better dirt rider than I am, he runs Hare Scrambles etc. and normally rides his YZ450. But I watched him go down and there was absolutely no reason for it. This was the last ride for the TrailWings, I fixed the case and spooned on a set of IRC GP-1's before riding it again. My confidence is now back after a few rides on the GP-1s.

Deathwings
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #7602
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I really like the Metz. Tourance, at 3000 miles my rear still has probably 3-4 thousand miles left - the front needs to be replaced. I'm looking for a little better priced tire only I can't believe there's much out there that handles as well on the street.
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #7603
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
okay mr bmw, if you were riding your old gs and the scrambler down a supa twisty road, quick like, which would be faster

tell me the whole story!
Even asking this question makes me think that a Scrambler is not for you as it will be to slow, have sluggish handling etc. Without any intention of doing so, I have outrun sports bikes on my favourite twisty piece of tarmac. As soon as we hit a straight they disappear over the horizon, so I guess they are better riders afterall.

I may sound like an old fart, but I gave up treating public roads like a race track long ago. Theres a few places I avoid on Sundays simply because of race day wanna bees that try to get their knee down.

The Scrambler puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it and I have never regretted swapping my Daytona 675 for it.

If youre thinking like a sportsbike rider and want the latest and greatest, theres nothing to see here.

Having said that, more than a few people have had a go on a Scrambler/Bonnie/Thruxton, just for the hell of it and not expecting very much.

Next thing you know they own one.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #7604
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
What Bross said, exactly.
No doubt. I have had some scary moments on the trailwings in deep sand/mud/rocks. That is the whole motivation for going to TKC80's.

Krahe screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 10:36 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #7605
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win
I really like the Metz. Tourance, at 3000 miles my rear still has probably 3-4 thousand miles left - the front needs to be replaced. I'm looking for a little better priced tire only I can't believe there's much out there that handles as well on the street.
Actually there is a better tyre. The Avon Distanzias. I used tourance for 48K on my Tiger but the Avons are better in every way except mileage. they're cheaper as well in the UK at least.