Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #7606
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Actually there is a better tyre. The Avon Distanzias. I used tourance for 48K on my Tiger but the Avons are better in every way except mileage. they're cheaper as well in the UK at least.
Just curious ,how many miles do you think you average out of the (front) Distanzias ?
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #7607
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Test Ride

The Scrambler's been on my short list, so I recently took an '06 Scrambler for a test ride.
The power plant surprised me. Not nearly as anemic as I'd been led to believe. Very smooth, good power, and excellent shifting.
The pegs had my long legs back in an almost sport tour position and the odd bars had me sitting up like a standard. The bars are an easy swap, but I was surprised by how far back the pegs were.
I liked the handling and was pleasanly surprised at the firmness of the 11K old suspension under my 230+ pounds.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but one thing that did surprise me was the lack of "character". Stock exhaust, no windshield, couldn't hear or feel the bike.
This particular used (11K+ miles) bike had a badly warped front rotor, non functioning turn indicator idiot light and badly corroded engine side covers. Is this type of wear the norm for a Scrambler?
How are the carbed versions for starting after being left outside in the cold for 12 or so hours?
Thanks.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #7608
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster
The Scrambler's been on my short list, so I recently took an '06 Scrambler for a test ride.
The power plant surprised me. Not nearly as anemic as I'd been led to believe. Very smooth, good power, and excellent shifting.
This is exactly what I thought. Mebbe too many guys been on bigger sportier bikes than me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the stock Scram's pulling ability .

Stock exhaust is a sewing machine. Upgrade that and remove the airbox for pods; you'll love the gnarl and extra performance.

Earlier Triumph classics had warped front rotor problems (pre 2007?). Many owners upgraded to floating EBC for a big improvement.

Are the side covers corroded or is it the lacquer coming off?
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #7609
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
...This is from the final washout on the DR650 running TrailWings. My step son was riding the DR and he's a way better dirt rider than I am, he runs Hare Scrambles etc. and normally rides his YZ450. But I watched him go down and there was absolutely no reason for it. This was the last ride for the TrailWings, I fixed the case and spooned on a set of IRC GP-1's before riding it again. My confidence is now back after a few rides on the GP-1s.

Ouch! There is a lot to be said for bashplates!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #7610
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
How are the carbed versions for starting after being left outside in the cold for 12 or so hours?
Thanks.
Mine always started fine sitting overnight in 20 degree weather using the choke, but it was new also.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #7611
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Carbed versions are fine for cold start up.
Keep a good battery in them, and no problems. MHO
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #7612
varna2win
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
This is exactly what I thought. Mebbe too many guys been on bigger sportier bikes than me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the stock Scram's pulling ability .

Stock exhaust is a sewing machine. Upgrade that and remove the airbox for pods; you'll love the gnarl and extra performance.

Earlier Triumph classics had warped front rotor problems (pre 2007?). Many owners upgraded to floating EBC for a big improvement.

Are the side covers corroded or is it the lacquer coming off?
On my 06 the clear coat is starting to come off of the lower outside case covers. this is a common problem some guys strip them & polish them out. I'm thinking about bead blasting mine for a different look.
varna2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #7613
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win
Just curious ,how many miles do you think you average out of the (front) Distanzias ?
On my much heavier R1200GS I always got at least 10K miles out of them. I have 2200 miles on my Scrambler, and the wear isn't even showing on the Distanzias.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #7614
George Papadopolis
between

Oddometer: 8,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharino
Ive been poking around this thread and over at Triumphrat, looking for pictures of Scramblers with after market/ modded gauges and headlights. Not a huge fan of the single mini gauge with 7" headlight, thinking more along the line as a same sized tach and speedo with a 7" and street triple bars. Anyone try a similar setup?
Could it be that all Scrambler owners love their?...doubt it. Surely I am not alone. Th T100 cluster would look right nice on the Scrambler, has anyone done it?

George Papadopolis screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 07:41 AM
George Papadopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #7615
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win
Can't give an average on the front because I haven't replaced the front yet. The rear lasted 6K on a sample of one where the Tourance went to 8K. Those are Tiger miles though. I'd expect them to go further on the Scram.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #7616
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Does anyone know where to find Metal Mule's rear rack for the Scrambler in the US? Or something similar?

I'm looking for something without a grab bar and want the black finish.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #7617
A mi que?
Love Supreme

Oddometer: 36
rear rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Scrambling
Does anyone know where to find Metal Mule's rear rack for the Scrambler in the US? Or something similar?

I'm looking for something without a grab bar and want the black finish.
Ventura luggage systems (USA distibutor) now offers their rack in black.
A mi que? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #7618
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
This particular used (11K+ miles) bike had a badly warped front rotor, non functioning turn indicator idiot light and badly corroded engine side covers. Is this type of wear the norm for a Scrambler?
Thanks.
My '06 has a little over 11k miles. Stock rotor is not warped, engine side covers are not corroded, and all the indicator lights work fine (especially after upgrading to LEDs). Are you sure the idiot light isn't working? Stock ones are extremely dim and almost impossible to see in the daylight.

It also starts just fine in any weather as long as you use the choke when necessary. In short, I have zero complaints or concerns about this bike. And, it does have TORS for a little added character.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #7619
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv
My '06 has a little over 11k miles. Stock rotor is not warped, engine side covers are not corroded, and all the indicator lights work fine (especially after upgrading to LEDs). Are you sure the idiot light isn't working? Stock ones are extremely dim and almost impossible to see in the daylight.

It also starts just fine in any weather as long as you use the choke when necessary. In short, I have zero complaints or concerns about this bike. And, it does have TORS for a little added character.
Likewise with my `06 with 15k miles and no issues.
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #7620
ColoradoKevin
Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by A mi que?
Ventura luggage systems (USA distibutor) now offers their rack in black.
They make a nice looking rack (and luggage system), but I have a Pelican Case that I want to mount to the tail rack. The metal grab bar loop on the Renntec and Ventura racks will be in the way.
ColoradoKevin is offline   Reply With Quote