Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #8191
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Right now I'm using YSS emulator valves with the stock springs and 7.5w oil. I think I'll try some .90 Racetech springs this year. Either 5w or 7w oil.

If Racetech is correct, the stock springs (.740) are rated for a 85 lb or 38.4 kilo rider without gear.

Racetech caluculator

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #8192
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I mowed the lawn,drug the bike out for a pic or two.
And just what sort of drug does it need to entice it out of the garage?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #8193
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
So,How do Scramblers seem to do on valve adjustments? How many have had to adjust valves on the first and or second adj check?
Most Triumphs seem pretty good in this respect. Just had the 12K service done on mine and needed no shims. My Tiger took its first shims at 24K and now at 60K only needs the odd one every service time.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #8194
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Right now I'm using YSS emulator valves with the stock springs and 7.5w oil. I think I'll try some .90 Racetech springs this year. Either 5w or 7w oil.

If Racetech is correct, the stock springs (.740) are rated for a 85 lb or 38.4 kilo rider without gear.

Racetech caluculator
Im about 185 lbs,not sure on the Kilo to pound thing but the forks do seem a little soft. Ive had really good luck with the Emulators in my DR650,backed em off two turns from the stock setting and they are decent forks,its odd to have a DR 650 that works great at speed through all kinds of chop, but there it is. Im more used to KTM's but the DR will run a long time with no fuss. The weight of the Scrambler probably makes it hard to get those low tech forks and shocks to work on rough trail or track,tend to over power the shocks and heat em up. Its really more of a back road and street bike for me.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #8195
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
And just what sort of drug does it need to entice it out of the garage?
Tea with milk of course,shaken not sturred.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #8196
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Im thinking the Race-Tech Emulators and slightly stiffer springs might be the way to go on the forks. Its odd how long the spacers are in the forks,seems like full length springs like most every other fork Ive worked on might be better.
Personally I would experiment a bit more with oils and oil amount.
Don't forget you can assist the spring by putting more oil in thus decreasing the air gap at the top of the forks.
And you can get all sorts of different weights by mixing 10W with 5W in various amounts.
It's a cheap way to maybe find something that works for you. If all that fails and you still feel the need to spend out on Intiminators, you're not too much out of pocket.
The up side is that the oil that you use to experiment can be used to lube the chain so absolutely no loss there. The Scottoiler on my Tiger is currently running the original 10W fork oil that came out of my Scram.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #8197
Romabuk
Hole in da pants

Oddometer: 114
So,How do Scramblers seem to do on valve adjustments? How many have had to adjust valves on the first and or second adj check?

No adjustment was required with my 2006 scram at 22,000km. Mind you later (26,000km ) the clutch bolt came lose. I had noticed the clutch adjustment was not working well. Shop missed this.

I had to truck scram back to shop to have this retorqued.
At 36,000km now, Require a re-weld on engine guard, otherwise alls fun and good.
Romabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #8198
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romabuk

No adjustment was required with my 2006 scram at 22,000km. Mind you later (26,000km ) the clutch bolt came lose. I had noticed the clutch adjustment was not working well. Shop missed this.

I had to truck scram back to shop to have this retorqued.
At 36,000km now, Require a re-weld on engine guard, otherwise alls fun and good.
Ive read a guys story at Triumphrat.com about doing 100,000 miles on his Scrambler,maybe it was a Bonnieville,same engine anyways. He went that far with out a valve adj,never burned any oil,had to put a set of clutch plates in at 75,000.
They do seem pretty bullet proof.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #8199
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Ive read a guys story at Triumphrat.com about doing 100,000 miles on his Scrambler,maybe it was a Bonnieville,same engine anyways. He went that far with out a valve adj,never burned any oil,had to put a set of clutch plates in at 75,000.
Can you say understressed boys and girls. To my mind, a very good thing in a motorcycle. I seem to have a fixation with it in the bikes I choose, not on purpose, but there must be something about them.

My CBF has an ex 170HP FireBlade engine in it "detuned" "retuned" to 94HP!
The DR650 is seriously under stressed, and you can't get much more under stressed than Jodie's 14HP DR200.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #8200
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
The Beast forum is flooded with reports of problems with the F800GS, the bike I was going to purchase when I got my Scrambler. I guess I'm lucky that BMW delayed the US release, otherwise I'd be "one of them".

Seriously though, I was just thinking about this today. So many of the threads around here have to do with broken this or leaking that. The Scrambler has some known weaknesses (shocks, fork springs, a little corrosion....), but is stone reliable. If you look through this thread you'd be hard pressed to find any mechanical issues indicating any type of pattern.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #8201
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
I would go so far to say that all Triumph engines can be described as reliable and even bullet proof with just scheduled maintenance and regular fresh oil.

My 99 ST had 85,000ks and it was as good as the day it first fired. My 05 ST just hit 75,000ks and the story is the same.

I have asked my service manager about high mileage Triumphs and they say they have never had any issues. One owner has a Bonnie with over 200,000ks and its still going strong.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #8202
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 796
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
The Beast forum is flooded with reports of problems with the F800GS.
Seriously though, I was just thinking about this today. So many of the threads around here have to do with broken this or leaking that. The Scrambler has some known weaknesses (shocks, fork springs, a little corrosion....), but is stone reliable. If you look through this thread you'd be hard pressed to find any mechanical issues indicating any type of pattern.
I have a R1150GS, so I spend some time at the Gspot and Beast forums. I noticed one thing about some of the BMW owners (might take a hit for this, but so be it), most are posing with the full TT offering on their bikes with little or not time in the saddle. A case of to much time on their hands and to much money in the bank. True, the 800GS has some teething issues, but most are owner induced and most of the rest is internet talk. Pennytech is almost a four letter word in the land of Wunderlich and TT. Let us not forget that Triumph has had their hands in parallel twins for a long time - BMW is rather new at it.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #8203
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
I have a R1150GS, so I spend some time at the Gspot and Beast forums. I noticed one thing about some of the BMW owners (might take a hit for this, but so be it), most are posing with the full TT offering on their bikes with little or not time in the saddle. A case of to much time on their hands and to much money in the bank. True, the 800GS has some teething issues, but most are owner induced and most of the rest is internet talk. Pennytech is almost a four letter word in the land of Wunderlich and TT. Let us not forget that Triumph has had their hands in parallel twins for a long time - BMW is rather new at it.

You Sir dare to speak ill of the Big Bavarian???

At dawn you will hung, drawn and quartered! Followed by a session on the rack and your heretic tongue removed from your skull!

Following this you will be required to explain your actions and lack of faith...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #8204
Romabuk
Hole in da pants

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
These engines are very bullet proof. With an excellent, very new factory with all new tools. You can only produce great products. I will have this bike for a long time. I have some more great trips planned for this year.

Torquing the clutch nut is in the maintance manual 2-32. It was just the shops maintance oversight when i brought the bike in for service, and noted the clutch alignment challenge. It's a minor thing, to do, if done in a shop. You jus gotta listen to your ride to see if anything ios going on
And the shop has to listen too

I am going to move on from my custum luggage system, to metal mule. They are being distributed in Canada by Duncan Motorsports in Duncan, on Vancouver island, BC. (www.duncanmotorsports.ca) Inventory shipment should be here by easter. Life will be good.

Pivot pegz are not ready yet. From my last inquiry i was requested to ask again mid april. At least they respond to inquiries, which is awesome!
Romabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #8205
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
The Beast forum is flooded with reports of problems with the F800GS, the bike I was going to purchase when I got my Scrambler. I guess I'm lucky that BMW delayed the US release, otherwise I'd be "one of them".

I read this forum (and others) before buying my Scram, the only things of note that I saw were broken wheel spokes and water getting into electrics causing misfires. Some design issues (like positioning of rear calliper) but overall a solid, reliable motorcycle.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote