Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #8296
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv
I know I have read somewhere (probably on Triumphrat) that the problem is frequently with the seals that go on the cam cover bolts. It is those seals that actually apply the pressure to the cover and if they get old and flatten out a little bit, they don't push the cover down hard enough to maintain sufficient pressure on the bottom seal. IIRC, those bolts have a shoulder and will only tighten so far, so overtightening does little good and is a recipe for disaster. It's the seals between the bolt heads and the cover that do the work.

Disclaimer:
This is second hand knowledge however, as I've never had a problem with leaks on either of the two '06 Scramblers I own.
This is true. Trying to overtighten those bolts may just lead to a snap followed by obscene amounts of cursing. To be safe you should really replace the rubber washer thingies under each bolt - as said, that's what applies the pressure to hold the cover on. The bolts bottom out.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #8297
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

On another topic, I'm still patiently waiting for the imminent arrival of my Ricor rear shocks and a Beach40 bash plate. Got my scram 2 nice xmas presents, but those Ricors have been rrrrreeaaaal slow coming
Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #8298
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
On another topic, I'm still patiently waiting for the imminent arrival of my Ricor rear shocks and a Beach40 bash plate. Got my scram 2 nice xmas presents, but those Ricors have been rrrrreeaaaal slow coming
The bash plate should be there in coming days. I was hoping you would get it before Easter. Damn post office!
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #8299
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
Ive just sent for a set of Works Performance shocks for the Scrambler, Two weeks at the outside for custom made shocks is the time frame,I hope.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #8300
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan
I've been using the same shield (slipstreamer spitfire) for over a year and love it.

It worked great on my trip to Sturgis last year, too. I normally run with a shield but might pull it off if I know I'm only going to be riding in town and/or it's a very hot day.

The shield and the trunk do somewhat spoil the "classic" looks but the good news is that I can take them off in less than a minute.
So that Spitfire works pretty good? Not too many problems with wind noise? Im about 6 ft tall,I wonder how that would work for me? Also,the number boards do ok as gaurds to keep saddlebags off the pipes? I hadnt thought of using them for that.
I use a snap on Shad trunk on the back of the Scrambler about the same size as the one youve got. Works great and comes off quick.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #8301
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
I Caved...

Hi all! I've been reading page after page after page of this thread, and by about post 4200, I realized that either Rhodie has the best driveway ever, or the Scrambler is ideal do-it-all-with-amazing-vintage-looks bike I've been wanting. So, I rode my Thruxton down to my local dealer, handed him the key, and rode a 2010 khaki green Scram back home with that stupid cheesy grin on my face the whole way. Me ->

Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #8302
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Summer Trip

I'll be making a ride from Indianapolis, IN to Leadville, CO in July on my 2008 Scrambler. Likely route will be US36 and others. I have to be in Leadville on Friday July 23 to meet my daughter for some hiking. I'll probably leave Indy on Tuesday which will give me plenty of time for any side trips I may want to take on the way out.

I do have a question. As a carb. model what can I expect in the higher altitudes? I don't want to have to rejet my carbs half way there.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #8303
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Hi all! I've been reading page after page after page of this thread, and by about post 4200, I realized that either Rhodie has the best driveway ever, or the Scrambler is ideal do-it-all-with-amazing-vintage-looks bike I've been wanting. So, I rode my Thruxton down to my local dealer, handed him the key, and rode a 2010 khaki green Scram back home with that stupid cheesy grin on my face the whole way. Me ->

Great First Post! Damn Scrambler thread has co$t me big time as well,set up cost can get a little out of hand but some how I think it will all work out fine.

Nice looking new Beast!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #8304
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
The bash plate should be there in coming days. I was hoping you would get it before Easter. Damn post office!
I wasn't worried about the bash plate. Been waiting for the Ricors since December tho.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #8305
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
set up cost can get a little out of hand but some how I think it will all work out fine.
Dealer swaped the chrome mirrors for the black ones off another bike they had. And I was able to talk them down $800. Should help me with the set up some. Unfortunately that got washed away in the Thrux's neg equity.

I just need to find some nice back roads to take it out on.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #8306
MightyChosen1
Flim-Flam Man

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
So that Spitfire works pretty good? Not too many problems with wind noise? Im about 6 ft tall,I wonder how that would work for me? Also,the number boards do ok as gaurds to keep saddlebags off the pipes? I hadnt thought of using them for that.
I use a snap on Shad trunk on the back of the Scrambler about the same size as the one youve got. Works great and comes off quick.

I get quite a bit of wind noise around 70 MPH. I dont know if I would want it on for long trips. I might play around with the mounting angle this weekend and see if I can cut down on the turbulence.

It does a great job of blocking the wind off you however, Most of my commute home is 40-50 MPH and I was really comfortable in mid-30's temps.
MightyChosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:29 AM   #8307
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
Hi all! I've been reading page after page after page of this thread ...so, I rode my Thruxton down to my local dealer, handed him the key, and rode a 2010 khaki green Scram back home with that stupid cheesy grin on my face the whole way. Me ->

TSorm, welcome to the crazy house! If this pic is just a foretaste of your artistic talents, I'll be logging on every morning for my daily fix! Griz

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #8308
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Any cool left side bags out there?

Looking for a left bag that will keep things dry, not like in this old
army bag

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #8309
maxflhx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
side bag

Henry,

This is what I went with. Not the best pic but you get the idea.
maxflhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #8310
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
TSorm, welcome to the crazy house! If this pic is just a foretaste of your artistic talents, I'll be logging on every morning for my daily fix! Griz
+1

Congrats and welcome!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote