Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #8341
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm

Seat's a bit stiff, but it's about the same amount of discomfort at the 110th mile as there is at the 10th.

Still, I love it, and can't wait to tweak it and make it more of a tourer.
I have noticed my seat has been more comfortable than usual, I think it just needs a 4000 mile break in period or the equivalent time sitting on the seat.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #8342
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear

I like this plate idea if it didnt have the holes and came up to the lower mounting points of the radiator. Did you have a shop cut/bend the metal for you? I need to do something similar.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #8343
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
I like this plate idea if it didnt have the holes and came up to the lower mounting points of the radiator. Did you have a shop cut/bend the metal for you? I need to do something similar.
Are you referring to the Mudbuster?

We made a batch of these up and you can find them by scrolling down at http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalo...=Miscellaneous

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #8344
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

We made a batch of these up and you can find them by scrolling down at http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalo...=Miscellaneous
My bad, I thought you also made the Triumph skidplate. Its been a long day.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #8345
oldknobies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
OK I'll admit it.

I'll admit it! The review on motoring.co.za described me and the type of riding I do pretty well and that's why I bought the scram. I don't drive terribly fast, I love the back country twisties and dirt roads and I owned a norton when I was 20 and I'm approaching 60 now. If you want a fire breather get something else. If you want to do the Baja or Dakar (in your dreams) get something else. Otherwise enjoy, as so many of us have....
oldknobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #8346
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
My bad, I thought you also made the Triumph skidplate. Its been a long day.
Maybe you were thinking of these:

Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #8347
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Max, any idea what rate those springs are? The springs on my Hagons look much thicker and are 20kgs/cm and don't ride how I'd like.
I don't recall bt.
I'll have to dig out the paperwork, if I even kept it.
I did ask to set up these shocks for 190 lbs ready to ride.
Not for track or high speed riding.
These shocks are plush solo, although I get fairly easy bottoming two up.
I don't change the shock settings every time as thats a pain and I ride two up only occasionally. FWIW
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #8348
steelsculptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
what do all you folks who know this bike think of riding one RTW? a friend of mine and I are planning such a trip for a year or 2 from now. the scrambler is a sexy bike, and all the modern stuff looks horrible to me. I'll ride some modern dual sport or something if I have to, but I'd rather not. and a scrambler is pricey by my standards. dual sports are even more (thumpers may be practical - but RTW isn't practical, and I want to have fun - no thumpers)

first bike was a 1982 honda cb750f - rode it cross country, no fairings, etc and loved it. but wanted more power, so when it got totaled by a pickup truck I bought a 1999 kaw zrx1100 - an awesome bike to be sure, but not for mud or sand let alone dirt and rocks. recently sold to a friend for financial reasons, but...I'll live without the beautiful power of the zrx in exchange for an ability to ride off road a little - I had that thing on dirt once. it was a short distance. yipes.

in 1 or 2 months looking to buy something that I can at least shake out riding to burning man (nevada desert) this summer (I'm in maryland right now). If I had time I'd do rt 1, too, and cascades almost for sure since they'd be right there....money not will is the limiting factor.....anyway, I'm a little nuts, a lot poor, and love to ride - and I see the scrambler as a beautiful bike that might be able to do it?

efi vs carb? high altitude performance fully loaded? big aluminum box panniers? any thoughts based on your experience? I am also considering other bikes, but the scrambler is the newest and prettiest, so I'm starting here....any and all suggestions welcome...
steelsculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #8349
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
I'm thinking the Scrambler is going to be my next bike. I want a bike that can do it all - at least do it all in terms of my kind of riding. I don't ride fast anymore but I do like to have fun in the twisties and dirt roads. I ride mostly back roads, lots of twisties, dirt roads, light trail work, errand running and it needs to be suitable for a nice 300 or 350 mile day ride or a 1500 mile multi-day ride. I use my DR650 for all those things and it is pretty good at everything, but I'd like to go back to a twin for more smoothness on pavement. My last two scrambler-style bikes were a Transalp and a WeeStrom, both were excellent road bikes but I bit unwieldy off road compared to my DR650. I'm thinking the Scrambler should be good on road and better off than a Wee or Transalp. Any thoughts on this from Scrambler owners?
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #8350
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 888
Soboy,
I am in the exact same boat as you. I owned a DR650 and also a weestrom which i still have and love. I am looking to the scrambler for a little more enthusiasm in my motorcycle riding. I am not much of a speedy rider, just enjoy tooling around backroads. The scrammie looks perfect.
HOWEVER, i really want the scrambler to go close to where i'd intended the DR to go. The wee was never very confidence inspiring in anything beyond the fireroads.
I doubt the scrambler will be as maintanence free as the Wee, but am hoping the EFI is easier to get to

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
I'm thinking the Scrambler is going to be my next bike. I want a bike that can do it all - at least do it all in terms of my kind of riding. I don't ride fast anymore but I do like to have fun in the twisties and dirt roads. I ride mostly back roads, lots of twisties, dirt roads, light trail work, errand running and it needs to be suitable for a nice 300 or 350 mile day ride or a 1500 mile multi-day ride. I use my DR650 for all those things and it is pretty good at everything, but I'd like to go back to a twin for more smoothness on pavement. My last two scrambler-style bikes were a Transalp and a WeeStrom, both were excellent road bikes but I bit unwieldy off road compared to my DR650. I'm thinking the Scrambler should be good on road and better off than a Wee or Transalp. Any thoughts on this from Scrambler owners?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #8351
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:

I like that, and you can tell how much more protection is added compared to the one Triumph offers. Looks like it'd even be a better place to put my VA inspection sticker than on the forks.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #8352
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelsculptor
what do all you folks who know this bike think of riding one RTW? a friend of mine and I are planning such a trip for a year or 2 from now. the scrambler is a sexy bike, and all the modern stuff looks horrible to me. I'll ride some modern dual sport or something if I have to, but I'd rather not. and a scrambler is pricey by my standards. dual sports are even more (thumpers may be practical - but RTW isn't practical, and I want to have fun - no thumpers)

first bike was a 1982 honda cb750f - rode it cross country, no fairings, etc and loved it. but wanted more power, so when it got totaled by a pickup truck I bought a 1999 kaw zrx1100 - an awesome bike to be sure, but not for mud or sand let alone dirt and rocks. recently sold to a friend for financial reasons, but...I'll live without the beautiful power of the zrx in exchange for an ability to ride off road a little - I had that thing on dirt once. it was a short distance. yipes.

in 1 or 2 months looking to buy something that I can at least shake out riding to burning man (nevada desert) this summer (I'm in maryland right now). If I had time I'd do rt 1, too, and cascades almost for sure since they'd be right there....money not will is the limiting factor.....anyway, I'm a little nuts, a lot poor, and love to ride - and I see the scrambler as a beautiful bike that might be able to do it?

efi vs carb? high altitude performance fully loaded? big aluminum box panniers? any thoughts based on your experience? I am also considering other bikes, but the scrambler is the newest and prettiest, so I'm starting here....any and all suggestions welcome...
Will a Scram go RTW? It will if you ride it... It's a very reliable engine tho I might choose a carb version (or carry a spare ecu). Would need some prep of course to sort the obvious weak points. If you hadn't read so many trip reports on the BMW 1200GSA and based your decision only on it's build complexity and reliability record, would you take one of those RTW? No way! It is important to know your own bike inside out if you want to tackle a trip like that, hoping it won't break is futile - it will at some point. You need to know how to fix it when it does. In practical terms it will carry your luggage and you can get ally cases for it (look through this thread). It's not very fast and protection from wind/rain is not good but if you're contemplating RTW things like that won't worry you. You want the most efficient vehicle then hop on a jet...
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #8353
sail121j
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Exhaust heat..

I have just bought a 'new' 2008 Scrambler and love it.. My only complaint is the brutal heat from the exhaust on my right leg. I am 6' 4" and not sure if it is my leg length that makes it worse or not. After riding, I can't even come close to leaving my hand on the leg protection for the pipes. I have tried to read all 500+ pages of this forum to see if there are any bright solutions or some kind of wearable heat shield for the right leg but all I have found is random noise about the heat with some folks and some with no problems. The AI is still installed but haven't seen anything that says it makes a lot of difference to the exhaust heat. Riding down the road with my right leg in the wind is not my idea of comfort.
Help....
sail121j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #8354
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail121j
I have just bought a 'new' 2008 Scrambler and love it.. My only complaint is the brutal heat from the exhaust on my right leg. I am 6' 4" and not sure if it is my leg length that makes it worse or not. After riding, I can't even come close to leaving my hand on the leg protection for the pipes. I have tried to read all 500+ pages of this forum to see if there are any bright solutions or some kind of wearable heat shield for the right leg but all I have found is random noise about the heat with some folks and some with no problems. The AI is still installed but haven't seen anything that says it makes a lot of difference to the exhaust heat. Riding down the road with my right leg in the wind is not my idea of comfort.
Help....
Strange how this affects some people and not others, doesn't affect me at all (tho I have an Arrow exhaust which is a bit closer to the engine I think). Have a look at the post by Blacktiger on the mod to move the RH footpeg and brake lever outwards using 1" spacers.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #8355
shekmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Ricor shocks on Scrambler

shekmark is offline   Reply With Quote